| (双击鼠标开启屏幕滚动,鼠标上下控制速度)
选择背景色:
浏览字体:[
字体颜色:
双击鼠标滚屏:
(1最慢,10最快)
_分节阅读_4
等的良田。这是毋庸置疑的,因为当地的农民也是这样说的。
  如今,流传着一些莫名其妙的古怪言论:人口的增长速度总是比所需要的食物的增长速度快,基于此理论要求英格兰向外移民。这些理论不过是那些狂妄而又不学无术、无聊卑鄙的人从妖怪马尔萨斯那里摘文引句而来的,是那些暴君的统治和某些奴颜媚骨者鼓吹的托词罢了。如果要彻底揭露这些家伙的愚昧蠢笨、稀里糊涂、言行武断和让人难以忍受的浅薄无知、蛮横骄纵,还有疯疯癫癫以及对神灵的亵渎,最有效的一种方法也许就是赶上收获时节来这个地方看看——看看这年的收成、人丁状况和种种变化。上帝对这个地方真是倾囊恩赐了。
河谷寻幽(2)
从山顶之巅举目远望,我惊讶地发现在河谷中,有大量的瑞典芜菁在大部分的田地里生长。从盐山到纽伯里,这一路上我都看见很多长势良好的英国和瑞典芜菁;但自纽伯里到伯克莱、海克莱、厄赫斯本与唐格里一带,却很少见到这些东西,而到了卢德加什和埃弗里周围地区,几乎见不到芜菁的踪迹。可是我早上到达弥尔顿山庄时,却见到了一大片郁郁葱葱的瑞典芜菁。然而河谷中的芜菁长得更好,田野的色彩也变得艳丽多了,真是美不胜收。这景象正好与今年收拾得格外干净的休耕地和茬子地形成了鲜明的对比。
  走到山脚下,我决定去弥尔顿村,在我的地图上,这个村里教堂的代号是(3)。我把伊斯顿(2)甩在了右后方,也没有去寻找阿文河的源头沃顿河(1),这条河与马尔博罗森林的西南角为邻,离马尔博罗镇只有五六英里远的距离。我记得有个大农场主朋友就住在阿文河的下游,于是决定前去拜访。平时我出门总是喜欢先问路,于是便向这个小猪倌打探我那个朋友的住所,让人惊喜的是朋友就住在弥尔顿教区里。我策马来到村子中心的教堂,紧接着就直奔向朋友家,他的房子就盖在通向河谷的路边上。我曾经见过许多惊喜交织的场面,然而在我一生的记忆之中,从来没有哪一次像农场主及其家人见到我时的惊喜样子。人们见面时通常都说“很高兴见到你”;一般来说,这句话是出于真心的。我一向很谨慎,除非有十足的把握能够受到热诚的欢迎,否则决不会轻易登门造访,以免有一点打扰的嫌疑。但是,对于我的光临,住在费非尔德(弥尔顿教区内)的朋友及其家人表露出的惊喜,确实是用言语所表达不了的。
  《河谷寻幽》是一篇意境优美的散文,文章清晰地刻画了作者在河谷的所见所感。文章开篇介绍前往河谷的道路,如梦如幻,仿佛跟随作者一起领略了河谷的风采。随后对河谷进行了生动的描述,它犹如一幅幅栩栩如生、苍翠欲滴的风景画。所有的景致构成了一个和谐的整体,毫无散漫之感,同时也深化了文章的主题:在河谷里,寻找一份悠然的心境。
  Down the Valley
  William Cobbett
  I came off this morning on the Marlborough road about two miles, or three, and then turned off, over the downs, in a northwesterly direction, in search of the source of the Avon river, which goes down to Salisbury. I had once been at Netheravon, a village in this valley, but I had often heard this valley described as one of the finest pieces of land in all E I knew that there were about thirty parish churches, standing in a length of about thirty miles, and in an average wi and I was resolved to see a little into the reasons that could have induced our fathers to build all these churches, especially if, as the Scotch would have us believe, there were but a mere handful of people in England until of late years.
  In steering across the down, I came to a large farm, which a shepherd told me was Milton Hill Farm. This was upon the high land, and before I came to the edge of this Valley of Avon, which was my land of promise, or at least,
for I could not imagine that thirty churches had been built for nothing by the side of a brook (for it is no more during the greater part of the way) thirty miles long. The shepherd showed me the way towards M and at the end of about a mile, from the top of a very high part of the down, with a steep slope towards the valley, I first saw this Valley of A and a most beautiful sight it was! Villages, hamlets, large farms, towers, steeples, fields, meadows, orchards, and very fine timber trees, scattered all over the valley. The shape of the thing is this: on each side downs, very lofty and steep in some places, and sloping miles
but each outside of the valley are downs. From the edge of the downs begin capital arable fields generally of very great dimensions, and, in some places, running a mile or two back into little crossvalleys, formed by hills of downs. After the cornfields come meadows on each side, down to the brook or river. The farmhouses, mansions, villages, and hamlets are generally situated in that part of the arable land which comes nearest the meadows.
河谷寻幽(3)
Great as my expectations had been, they were more than fulfilled. I delight in
and I had frequently seen the vale of the Itchen, that of the Bourn, and also that of the Teste in H I had seen the vales amongst the South D but I never before saw anything to please me like this valley of the Avon. I sat upon my horse and looked over Milton and Easton and Pewsey for half an hour, though I had not breakfasted. The hill was very steep. A road, going slanting down it, was still so steep, and washed so very deep by the rains of ages, that I did not attempt to ride down it, and I did not like to lead my horse, the path was so narrow. So seeing a boy with a drove of pigs going out to the stubbles, I beckoned
and he came and led my horse down for me. But now, before I begin to ride down this beautiful vale, let me give, as well as my means will enable me, a plan or map of it, which I have made in this way. A friend has lent me a very old man of Wiltshire describing the spots where all the churches stand, and also all the spots where manor-houses or mansion-houses stood. I laid a piece of very thin paper upon the map, and thus traced the river upon my paper, putting figure to represent the spots where churches stand, and putting stars to reprent the spots where manor-houses or mansion-houses formerly stood. Endless is the variety in the shape of the high lands which from this valley. Sometimes the slope is very gentle, and the arable lands go back very far. At others, the downs come out into the valley almost like piers into the sea, being very
as well as their ends: indeed they have no back ends, but run into the main high land. There is also great variety in the great variety in the
but the land appears all to and it must be so, for the farmers confess it.
  It seemed to me that one way, and that not, perhaps, the least striking, of exposing the folly, the stupidity, the inanity, the presumption, the insufferable emptiness and insolence and barbarity, of those numerous wretches who have now the audacity to propose to transport the people of England, upon the principle of the monster Malthus, who has furnished the unfeeling oligarchs and their toad-eaters with the pretence that man has a natural propensity to breed faster than food can be rai it seemed to me that one way of exposing this mixture of madness and of blasphemy was to take a look, now that the harvest is in, at the produce, the mouths, the condition, and the changes that have taken place, in a spot like this, which God has favoured with every good that he has had to bestow upon man.书 包 网 txt小说上传分享
河谷寻幽(4)
From the top of the hill I was not a little surprised to see, in every part of the valley that my eye could reach, a due, a large, portion of fields of Swedish turnips, all looking extremely well. I had found the turnips of both sorts by no means bad from Salt Hill to N but from Newbury through Burghclere, Highclere, Uphusband, and Tangley, I had seen but few. At and about Ludgarshall and Everley I had seen hardly any. But when I came this morning to Milton Hill Farm, I saw a very large field of what appeared to me to be fine Swedish turnips. In the valley, however, I found them much finer, and the fields were very beautiful objects, forming, as their color did, so great a contrast with that of the fallows and the stubbles, which latter are, this year, singularly clean and bright.
  Having gotten to the bottom of the hill, I proceeded on to the village of Milton, the church of which is, in the map, represented by the figure(3), I left Easton (2) away at my right, and I did not go up to Watton Rivers (1) where the river Avon rises, and which lies just close to the south, west corner of Marlborough Forest, and at about 5 or 6 miles from the town of Marlborough. Lower down the river, as I thought, there lived a friend, who was a great farmer, and whom I intended to call on. It being my way, however, always to begin making inquiries soon enough, I asked the pig-driver whe and, to my surprise, I found that he lived in the parish of Milton. After tiding up to the church, as being the center of the village, I went on towards the house of my friend, which lay on my road down the valley. I have many, many times witnesse but I do not know that I ever in the whole course of my life saw people so much surprised and pleased as this farmer and his family were at seeing me. People often tell you that they and in general they speak truth. I take pretty good care not to approach any house, with the smallest appearance of a design to eat or drink in it, unless I be quite sure of but my friend at Fifield (it is in Milton parish) and all his family really seemed to be delighted beyond all expression.
[英国]查尔斯·狄更斯
  查尔斯·狄更斯(),英国著名散文家、小说家。早年以“Boz”为笔名在报章杂志上发表作品,文章深刻探讨社会病态、道德沦丧等现象。狄更斯一生创作了大量的作品,除了小说以外,他在散文、游记、诗歌等各种体裁上均有涉猎。但成就最高的还是长篇小说。其代表作有《双城记》《匹克威克外传》《大卫·科波菲尔》《荒凉山庄》《艰难时世》。
  一年之中,没有任何一个月的自然风光比得过八月的风采。春天美不胜收,而五月也是—个清新、花开的月份,由于有冬季的对比,所以每年的此刻更显得魅力四射。八月就没有这样的优势。它来的时候,我们只记得明朗的天空、绿绿的田野,还有芳香四溢的花朵——记忆中的冰雪、寒风都已完全消失,仿佛它们在地球上了无踪迹——然而,八月是多么令人愉快的季节啊!果园和麦田到处都充溢着工作的声响;串串硕果压得果树都弯下了腰,枝条低垂到地面;还有玉米,有的一捆捆优雅地堆在一起,有的则迎着微风招展,仿佛等待收割,把景致染上淡淡的金黄色。整个大地似乎笼罩着醇美的柔和; 季节的影响,似乎伸展至那辆马车,它缓慢地驶过收割好的田地,这一切只有用肉眼才觉察得到,耳朵听不到刺耳的声音。
  马车摇晃着,轻快地经过路边的田野与果园,一群群的妇女和孩子们,有的正将水果往筛子上堆,有的则在捡散落的玉米穗子,他们稍停了会儿手中的活,用深褐色的手遮在晒黑的脸上,以好奇的眼神望着乘客;一些结实的小顽童,太小还不能上学,但又不能把他们留在家中胡闹,原先被安置在篮子里是出于安全的考虑,这时也爬过了篮边,高兴得又踢又叫。收割的人停下了手里的活,双臂交叉地站着看马车通过;而毛茸茸的拖货车的马也睡眼惺忪地向那灵巧的马车队看了一眼,它的眼神很明白地表露出:“看看倒是不错,但在崎岖的田地上慢慢走,总比那么辛苦地工作要好,尤其是在尘土飞扬的路上。”当你拐过路角时,回头瞧瞧你的身后吧。妇女和孩子们又开始干活了:收割的人又弯下了腰,拖货车的马已继续前进。所有的一切又恢复了工作。
  August
  Charles Dickens
  There is no month in the whole year, in which nature wears a more beautiful appearance than in the month of August. Spring has many beauties, and May is a fresh and blooming month, but the charms of this time of year are enhanced by their contrast with the winter season. August has no such advantage. It comes when we remember nothing but clear skies, green fields, and sweet-smelling flower—when the recollection of snow, and ice, and bleak winds, has faded from our minds as completely as they have disappeared from the earth—and yet what a pleasant time it is! Orchards and cornfields ring wit trees bend beneath the thick clusters of rich fruit which bow their br and the corn, piled in graceful sheaves, or waving in every light breath that sweeps above it, as if it wooed the sickle, tinges the landscape with a golden hue. A mellow softness appears to hang
the influence of the season seems to extend itself to the very wagon, whose slow motion across the well-reaped field, is perceptible only to the eye, but strikes with no harsh sound upon the ear.
  As the coach rolls swiftly past the fields and orchards which skirt the road, groups of women and children, piling the fruit in sieves, or gathering the scattered ears of corn, pause for an instant from their labour, and shading the sunburnt face with a still browner hand, gaze upon the passengers with curious eyes, while some stout urchin, too small to work but too mischievous to be left at home, scrambles over the side of the basket in which he has been deposited for security, and kicks and screams with delight. The reaper stops in his work, and stands with folded arms, looking at the vehic and the rough cart-horses bestow a sleepy glance upon the smart coach team, which says, as plainly as a horse’s glance can, “It’s all very fine to look at, but slow going, over a heavy field, is better than warm work like that, upon a dusty road, after all.” You cast a look behind you, as you turn a corner of the road. The women and children have
the reaper once mor the cart- and all are again in motion.
[英国]乔治·斯莱思·斯特里特
  乔治·斯莱思·斯特里特(),英国作家,散文家,是一个写小品文的能手。在本篇中,作者通过切身的体验,描述了他对世界闻名的雾都——伦敦的感受。
  无论它是美还是不美,伦敦的雾总是有值得大书特书的地方。它能给我们带来每时每刻都需要的那种“变化”。最初,这个世界几乎是白茫茫的一片,然后,慢慢地一点一点地清晰起来,这和我们平常所见完全不同。这时,就算是最愚蠢的人也不会察觉不到眼前的景物起了变化。这种变化之大,绝不亚于从伦敦到格拉斯哥。又比如,回到家里或来到俱乐部,这种平凡单调的日常琐事,在雾天也几乎成为惊人的壮举,完成之后不免要深深地松一口气,自幸安全脱险——这时人们至少得到一种不同寻常的新鲜感。这时我们已经不像是一个到俱乐部去玩的人,而像是一个航行遇险的海员在命悬一线之际,终于得救,并且受到一群以前非常淡漠而这时却非常激动的侍者们的热烈欢迎。的确,一场迷雾带给伦敦人的变化非常之大,比去里维埃拉避雾度假所带来的变化都要大。其次,雾还能使人的善良之心和喜悦之情充分表现出来,这是伦敦人引以为荣的两大特点。当然,它也会把富人的那种极度的自私自利揭露出来。那些几乎是无忧无虑地活在世上的人,自然会因为这点小小不便或痛哭流涕,或咒骂不已。但是为生计奔波的伦敦人,比如那些马车夫和汽车夫,比如你和我,却会把我们那种欢快心情充分展现出来。某个星期一,我在海德公园拐角那个街区的一辆公共汽车顶端乘坐过半个小时,并与司机攀谈。人们往往对一个汽车司机感到失望,因为他们认为他应该会说会骂,而他却没有这类长处。但是我们应该看到,这是个工作非常辛苦但却又非常快乐的人,非常勤快,服务周到,笑口常开。他在自己的工作上是个行家——这点在雾天最能突出显现出来,而他对工作的高熟练程度,对于那种凭借经验,总以为从事实际行业的人来说,往往不是愚蠢就是冒失,因而对于绝大多数都不称职的人士来说,总是一件快事吧。最后我离开他时,他的副手引我绕过车轮马蹄,一直把我送到人行道上。这时我有一种感觉,觉得我周围的确都是好人。上周日的晚上,我曾步行一英里回到我的寓所,一路上,我每碰到一个人就向他问路。但是没有一个人给予粗鲁甚至仓促的回答:每个人都是彬彬有礼,俏皮风趣,谈古论今,有说有笑。我们这个民族确实是个友好的民族,有必要通过一场雾来体会这一点。雾的另外一种乐趣,与我们听到某个百万富翁摔断了腿时所感到的那种乐趣相差无几,只是比较温和而已。那种命运特别好的人往往并不快乐,即使健康良好也不能把它驱除掉。在某个街区的一辆宽敞的布鲁厄姆马车上坐着一位派头十足的老头,他口吐白沫。看到这个情景,人们不禁会想,在这件事上,命运总算暂时是公平的。
  这些就是我们在一场伦敦的雾中所找到的一些乐趣。
  人生如雾,雾如人生。雾意正浓时,叫人不知如何是好,只能在雾中游荡。云开雾散时,前面的方向豁然开朗,一切都变得清晰明朗。作者通过切身的感触,深入形象地描绘出了雾都伦敦的景象。一场迷雾带给伦敦人的变化的确很大,它不仅能使人的善良之心和喜悦之情充分表现出来,它也把富人的自私自利暴露了出来,可谓是人间百态尽在雾中展现。
  G. S. Street
  Beauty or none, there is much to be said for a London fog. It gives us all that “change” which we are always needing. When our world is all but invisible, and growing visible bit by bit looks utterly different from its accustomed1 self, the stupidest of us all can hardly fail to observe a change for our eyes at least as great as there would have been in going to Glasgow. When, arriving at one’s house or one’ that monotonous2 diurnal incident seems an almost incredible feat, accomplished with profound relief and gratitude for a safe deliverance, one has at least an unaccustomed sensation. One is not a man going into his club, but a mariner saved from shipwreck3 at the last gasp, to be greeted with emotion by erst4 indifferent waiters. Yes, a fog gives Londoners a more thorough change than going to the Riviera to avoid it. Then it brings out the kindness and cheerfulness, which are their prime claim to honour, into strong relief. True, it also throws into relief the incomparable egoism of the prosperous among them. People with no serious cares or worries in the world of course bemoan and upbraid this trifling inconvenience. But the working, struggling Londoners, cabmen and busmen, you and I, display our indomitable5 good-humour to advantage. I stayed on top of a bus for half an hour in the block on Monday at Hyde Park Corner and talked with the driver. People are often disappointed in a bus-driver because they expect a wit and a pretty swearer. They find neither, but they find an overworked man of extraordinary cheerfulness, responsive, ready to laugh. He is master of his business—a fact emphasised by the fog—to a degree refreshing to one
whose experience of men professing some practical calling is that the great majority, some from mere stupidity, some from over-hasty enthusiasm, are quite incompetent. When finally I left him, his mate piloted me through wheels and horses to the pavement, and I felt I had been among folk who deserve to live. On Sunday night I walked a mile to my abode, and made a point of asking my whereabouts of every one I met. Not one churlish or even hurried answer: politeness, jokes, reminiscences, laughter. We are a kindly people, and it is worth a fog to know it. Another pleasure of a fog is a mild but extended form of the pleasure we feel when we hear that a millionaire has broken his leg. The too fortunate are suffering a discontent health cannot remove. There was in that block a fat brougham containing an important-looking old man who foamed at the mouth, and one reflected that there was a temporary equality of fortunes.
  Such are the pleasures we may take in a London fog.
  书 包 网 txt小说上传分享
郁金香(1)
[英国]约瑟夫·艾迪生
  约瑟夫·艾迪生(),英国著名作家。他于1672年生于英国一个乡村牧师家庭,后受教于牛津大学,并于1693年获得硕士学位。从1708年开始,艾迪生先后担任过议会议员、国务大臣助理、英国驻爱尔兰总督秘书等职。后曾为理查德·斯梯尔主编的《闲话报》撰写文章。1711年,他与斯梯尔合作创办报纸《旁观者》并担任主编。他的散文文风优美,文笔流畅,亲切通俗,主题明晰,对以后的散文作家有很大的影响。
  今年夏天的一个清晨,我碰巧起得很早。于是,便跑去乡间散步,希望能在绿草丛中和田野间得到一份安逸。夏天,正是绿草芬芳,百花绽放的季节。每年一到这个时节,任何一条小路都是一片美妙的景色,任何一道篱笆上都点缀着鲜花。四周满是丛生的灌木,我快乐地沉浸在鸟儿委婉动听的歌唱声中。我已经在嘈杂和浓烟中熬过了整整一个冬天,眼前的景色可谓是人间仙境。清新的露水洒落在世间万物上(包括我),还有那清爽宜人的清晨空气,周围的一切不但让鸟儿焕发出欢快的本性,也让我感到丝丝喜悦,内心深处充溢着一种神秘的、无以言表的满足与快乐。在这样的情景下,我总是不由得想起弥尔顿诗行中那个精妙的比喻:
  犹如长久禁锢于躁动的市井之人,择夏日的一个清晨,步出城墙,步出林立的房屋,步出水天污浊,吐纳于宜人的田间村舍。
  乡间万物孕育着乐趣,谷物、干草、黄牛、牛乳,每一处农家美景,每一处乡间乐章。
  那些熟悉这些名人佳作的人,在他们的脑海里总能浮现名人笔下反复出现的娇媚景色,因此他们更能从乡间美景中获得一份意外的乐趣。
  正当我独自品味着弥尔顿的诗句时,忽然发现迎面飘来一团乌云,刹那间绵长的雨丝急坠而下。我赶忙起身,举目四望,向不远处的一座农舍跑去。当我坐在门廊中时,听到两三个人谈话的声音。他们似乎正在十分认真地争论着什么。听他们提到亚历山大大帝和阿塔克西斯的名字,我的好奇心立即被吸引了出来。因为他们争论的好像是古代英雄和伟人,我想里面应该不会有任何秘密。想到这儿,我想或许可以仔细地听一下他们的谈话。
  他们先是比较了几个伟人。在我看来,这种比较根本毫无根据,纯属虚构。我十分诧异地听到其中一个人说,他认为黑色王子远比旺多姆公爵好得多。旺多姆公爵和黑色王子怎么能作比较呢?我感到非常不解。然后,我又听到第二个人斩钉截铁地说,如果德国皇帝不退位的话,那么他就最推崇德国皇帝。听到这里,我更是惊叹不已。这个人又补充说,尽管岁月如流水,但马尔伯勒公爵始终是风流倜傥。他们从哪里知道的这些谬论,我绞尽脑汁也想不明白。还有比这更荒谬的,他们还谈到了几位将军,其中就有黑森王子和瑞典国王。他们说这两个人现在正在逃亡中。后来他们所说的,我是完全同意的。他们提到法国国王身体虚弱,维拉尔元帅却仍旧精神饱满。最后,他们当中的一个人说,如果大家同意跟他一起去,他会叫他们看到一个扫烟囱的人和一个美丽的少女“同床共枕”。他确信,这样的场景一定会令大家非常开心。我和他们都是跑到这家农舍来避雨的,此时大雨已经停了。当他们从我身旁经过,朝花园走去的时候,我便要求加入到他们的队伍之中。
  农舍的主人对我说,如果我对花感兴趣的话,很值得去花园看一看。因为他相信,他让我看的那片郁金香,在全国都找不出可以与之媲美的。
  我接受了他的邀请,也马上明白刚才那几个人谈论的是园艺。他们所说的国王、将帅全是郁金香的名字。花匠们按照习惯做法赋予那些花头衔或称号。
郁金香(2)
看到花团锦簇的美妙画面,我真是又惊又喜。一垄一垄的花儿,密密麻麻地将我笼罩。一时间,我觉得每一片叶子都变成一方精美别致的薄纱,经纬交错,形成一幅幅千娇百媚的画卷。阳光照在薄纱不同的角落上,叶子便映出五彩斑斓的色彩。有时我觉得,这大片的郁金香,在曾经最伟大的数学家和哲学家看来,就是由众多的光学仪器把光线分散成的各种不同的颜色。
  意识到大家似乎一直在嘲笑我,我这才从陶醉中清醒过来。我赞美一朵郁金香,认为它是世界上最美丽的花朵。但他们却出乎意料地告诉我,那仅仅是最普通的“愚人衣”。然后,我又去赞美另一朵,但那朵花好像也属于“愚人衣”。
  赞美其他两三朵花时,我遇到了相同的情况。于是,我恳求花园的主人告诉我,哪些是最好的花。因为我对花一知半解,一直以为最美的就是最有价值的,最鲜艳的就是最美的。看到我这样,主人只是一笑了之。他看上去是位单纯老实的人,有较高的品位,头脑也很理智。除了郁金香,他可以理性地谈论世间的任何事物。
  他告诉我,自己特别珍惜我们面前的那个花坛。虽然那个花坛不足20码长,宽也不足2码,但是即使有人用英国最肥沃的百亩良田来换,他也坚决不妥协。他又补充说,去年冬天,要不是他的一个愚蠢的厨娘误把一堆郁金香球茎当成了洋葱做了汤,差点要了他的命,否则,这个花坛的价钱至少是现在的两倍。他说:“厨娘做的那碗汤,花了我整整一千多英镑。”他随后又给我看了他心目中最好的郁金香。我觉得那些郁金香珍贵的原因,主要是稀有,形态也非常奇异。由此我想到,不论我们有多少财富,都没有什么可珍贵的。
  我从来没有捕风捉影的嗜好,不会因为某样东西不同寻常、很稀有,便用不同的眼光看待它。我认为这是一件值得高兴的事。因此,我把春日的乡野看做是一座花园,时常去看看雏菊,看看紫罗兰,就像花匠照看自己的花坛一样。周围绽放的每一朵花儿,都是那么熟悉,我不会错过一朵水仙、一簇迎春,即使它们的凋谢我也都知道。带着这种心情,我穿过几处农田,几片草地,向家走去。我想,这是神的赏赐,他把那些最令人高兴的、最美丽的事物变得那么平凡,那么简单。
  乡间万物孕育着乐趣,谷物、干草、黄牛、牛乳,每一处农家美景,每一处乡间乐章都是那么清新自然。像我们这些长久禁锢于躁动的市井之人,应在某个夏日的清晨,步出城墙,步出林立的房屋,步出水天污浊,走入一幅幅由欢乐的花儿组成的绝美景致中,吐纳于宜人的田间村舍,定会收获一份无以言表的满足与快乐!
  Tulips
  Joseph Addison
  I chanced to rise very early one particular morning this summer, and took a walk into the country to divert myself among the fields and meadows, while the green was new, and the flowers in their bloom. As at this season of the year every lane is a beautiful walk, and every hedge full of nosegays, I lost myself, with a great deal of pleasure, among several thickets and bushes that were filled with a great variety of birds, and an agreeable confusion of notes, which formed the pleasantest scene in the word to one who had passed a whole winter in noise and smoke. The freshness of the dews that lay upon everything about me, with the cool breath of the morning, which inspired the birds with so many delightful instincts, created in me the same kind of animal pleasure, and made my heart overflow with such secret emotions of joy and satisfaction as are not to be described or accounted for. On this occasion I could not but reflect upon a beautiful simile in Milton:书 包 网 txt小说上传分享
郁金香(3)
As one who long i
  Where houses thick and
  Forth issuing on a summer’s morn, to breathe
  Among the pleasant villages and farms
  Adjoin’d, from each thing met conceived delight:
  The smell of grain, or tended grass, or kine,
  Or dairy, each rural sight, each rural sound.
  Those who are conversant in the writings of polite authors receive an additional entertainment from the country, as it revives in their memories those charming descriptions, with which such authors do frequently abound.
  I was thinking of the foregoing beautiful simile in Milton, and applying it to myself, when I observed to the windward of me a black cloud, falling to the earth in long trails of rain, which made me betake myself for shelter to a house saw at a little distance from the place where I was walking. As I sat in the porch, I heard the voices of two or three persons, who seemed very earnest in discourse. My curiosity was raised when I heard the names of Alexander the Great and A and as their talk seemed to run on ancient heroes, I concluded there could not for which reason thought I might very fairly listen to what they said.
  After several parallels between great men, which appeared to me altogether groundless and chimerical, I was surprised to hear one say, that he valued the Black Prince more than the Duke of Venoms. How the Duke of Vendosme should become a rival of Black Prince, I couldn’ and was more startled when I heard a second affirm, with great vehemence, that if the Emperor of Germany was not going off, he should like him better than either of them. He added, that though the season was so changeable, the Duke of Marlborough was in blooming beauty. I was wondering to myself from whence they had received this odd intelligence: especially when I heard them mention the names of several other great generals, as the Prince of Hess and the King of Sweden, who, they said, were both running away. To which they added, what I entirely agreed with them in, that the Crown of France was very weak, but that the Marshal Villars still kept his colors. At last, one of them told the company, if they would go along with him, he would show them a chimney-sweeper and a painted lady in the same bed, which he was sure would very much please them. The shower which had driven them as well as myself into the house, and as they were passing by me into the garden, I asked them to let me be one of their company.
  The gentleman of the house told me, if I delighted in flowers, it wou for that he believed he could show me such a blow of tulips as was not to be matched in the whole country.
  I accepted the offer, and immediately found that they had been talking in terms of gardening, and that the kings and generals they had mentioned were only so many tulips, to which the gardeners, according to their usual custom, had given such high titles and appellations of
书包网最好的txt下载网
郁金香(4)
I was very much pleased and astonished at the glorious show of these gay vegetables, that arose in great profusion on all the banks about us. Sometimes I considered every leaf as an elaborate piece of tissue, in which the threads and fibers were woven together into different configurations, which gave a different coloring to the light as it glanced on the several parts of the surface. Sometimes I considered the whole bed of tulips, according to the notion of the greatest mathematician and philosopher that ever lived, as a multitude of optic instruments, designed for the separating light into all those various colors of which it is composed.
  I was awakened out these my philosophical speculations, by observing the company often seemed to laugh at me. I accidentally praised a tulip as one of upon which they told me, it was a common Fool’s Coat. Upon that I praised another, which it seems was but another kind of Fool’s Coat.
  I had the same fate with two or three more, for which reason I desired the owner of the garden to let me know which were the
for that I was so unskillful in the art, that I thought the most beautiful were the most valuable, and that those which had the gayest colours were the most beautiful. The gentleman smiled at my ignorance. He seemed a very plain honest man, and a person of good sense, had not his head been touched with that distemper which Hippocrates calls the T in so much that he would talk very rationally on any subject in the world but a tulip.
  He told me, that he valued the bed of flowers which lay before us, and was not above twenty yards in length and two in breadth, more than he would the best hundred acres of land in England, and added, that it would have been worth twice the money it is, if a foolish cook, maid of his had not almost ruined him in the last winter, by mistaking a handful of tulip roots for a heap of onions, and “by that means,” says he, “made me a dish of pottage that cost me above thousand pounds sterling.” He then showed me what he thought the finest of his tulips, which I found received all their value from their rarity, and oddness, and put me in mind of our great fortunes, which are not always the greatest beauties.
  I have often looked upon it as a piece of happiness, that I have never fallen into any of these fantastical tastes, nor esteemed anything the more for its being the uncommon and hard to be met with. For this reason I look upon the whole country in springtime as a spacious garden, and make as many visits to a spot of daisies or a bank of violets, as a florist does to his borders or parterres. There is not a bush in blossom within a mile of me, which I am not acquainted with, nor scarce a daffodil of cowslip that withers away in my neighborhood without my missing it, I walked home in this temper of mind through several fields and meadows wit hand unspeakable pleasure, not without reflecting on the bounty of Providence which has made the most pleasing and most beautiful objects the most ordinary and most common.
  txt电子书分享平台 书包网
自 然(1)
[美国]拉尔夫·瓦尔多·爱默生
  一个想要追求孤独的人,不但要离开自己的卧室,还要离开社会。在我阅读和写作之时,尽管无人相伴,可我没有觉得孤独。然而,假如有谁用尽心思追求孤独,那就让他抬头凝望星空吧。那来自天国的光芒,能在他和他生活的天地之间分出一条界线。你也许会认为,如此的构想简直太棒了:在空旷辽阔的大地之上,人们抬头仰视星空,仿佛从中领悟到某种崇高的永恒。从城市的街道看过去,那种场面的确令人肃然起敬!假设天上的星星一千年才出现一次,可想而知它们会对这上苍的显圣是何等崇敬,又该是如何仔细地将它收藏进记忆里好流芳百世啊!只可惜,这些美的使者夜夜都会带着劝诫式的微笑降临,将光辉普照整个宇宙。
  星星使我们产生的敬畏之心,不是因为它常常高悬于空中,而是因为它的可望而不可即。然而,只要拥有一颗包容的心,你就会发现世间万物和人类其实都是心灵相通的。自然从不把它吝啬的一面显露出来,顶尖聪明之人也不会强求打开它全部的奥秘,而会保留好奇之心去探寻它所有的完美之处。在智者看来,自然永远不会是一个玩物。鲜花、动物、山脉——折射出他的纯真童年——也是他最高智慧的体现。当我们以这种方式来谈论自然时,头脑中自然会产生一种清晰而又极富诗意的画面,这种画面是世间万物在我们的印象中留下的印迹的总和。也正是在这种印象的指引下,才会有伐木工手中的是木头、而诗人笔下却是大树的区别。今天早上我所看到的那一片令人陶醉的景色,毫无疑问它是由二三十个农场组成的。米勒占有这一块土地,洛克是那一片田野的主人,树林外面的那一片则归曼宁所有……可是,他们谁都不能拥有整片风景。远处有一块土地,谁也不能将其划在自己的名下,唯有那个又能看见土地又看得见风景的人,才是它真正的主人,而诗人正符合这样的要求。这个地方是农场主所有财产中最值钱的一部分,但按照他们的担保契约却并不是这样。坦率地讲,现在没有多少成年人能真正看得见自然了。大多数人都不看太阳,至少,只是肤浅地看。对成人而言,太阳只照亮了他们的眼睛,对孩子来说,太阳却照进了他们的眼睛与心灵。一个自然爱好者,他外在的知觉和内心的感触是和谐的,甚至在他成年以后,依然拥有一颗童心。在他看来,与天地的接触,是日常生活中不可分割的一部分,只要身处大自然中,不管生活中遭遇多大的悲痛,内心总会产生巨大的快乐。大自然说,他是我的杰作,不管他有多少没有原由的悲伤,他都会同我一起快乐。自然赋予我们的不仅仅是阳光、夏日、四季的变换,她每时每刻都在给予我们快乐与欣喜。这是因为,每一刻、每一个变化,不管是压抑的中午还是黑暗的午夜,都意味着一种别样的心情。在自然的舞台上,不仅能上演喜剧,也能烘托悲剧。
  文章写作者远离人类的喧嚣,走进大自然寻找快乐的感觉以及由此而发的丰富联想。作者置身于自然的纯洁、清新、甜美之中,抛开了尘世的纷繁、虚荣、虚伪和偏见,进入理想的境界。还开创了他透视万物眼球的理论,成为美国超现实主义的代表。在艺术上作者采用内心独白的表述,语言亲切自然,感情真挚。作者引领着读者用心与自然对话,感受自然赋予人类的一切。文章情景交融,充满诗情画意,给人精神上美的享受。
  Nature
  Ralph Waldo Emerson
  To go into solitude, a man needs to retire as much from his chamber as from society. I am not solitary whilst I read and write, though nobody is with me. But if a man would be alone, let him look at the stars. The rays that come from those heavenly worlds, will separate between him and what he touches. One might think the atmosphere was made transparent1 with this design, to give man, in the heavenly bodies, the perpetual2 presence of the sublime. Seen in the streets of cities, how great they are! If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would m and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile.
自 然(2)
The stars awaken a certain reverence, because though always present, t but all natural objects make a kindred impression, when the mind is open to their influence. Nature never wears a mean appearance. Neither does the wisest man extort her secret, and lose his curiosity by finding out all her perfection. Nature never became a toy to a wise spirit. The flowers, the animals, the mountains, reflected the wisdom of his best hour, as much as they had delighted the simplicity of his childhood. When we speak of nature in this manner, we have a distinct but most poetical3 sense in the mind. We mean the integrity of impression made by manifold natural objects. It is this which distinguishes the stick of timber of the wood-cutter, from the tree of the poet. The charming landscape which I saw this morning, is indubitably made up of some twenty or thirty farms. Miller owns this field, Locke that, and Manning the woodland beyond. But none of them owns the landscape4. There is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts, that is, the poet. This is the best part of these men’s farms, yet to this their warranty-deeds give no title. To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates5 only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly ad who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood. His intercourse with heaven and earth, becomes part of his daily food. In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. Nature says, he is my creature, and maugre all his impertinent griefs, he shall be glad with me. Not the sun or the summer alone, but every hour and season yields it for every hour and change corresponds to and authorizes a different state of the mind, from breathless noon to grimmest midnight. Nature is a setting that fits equally well a comic or a mourning piece.
巴黎:浪漫之都(1)
  啊,美丽的巴黎!数百年来,这座美丽的城市吸引着全世界的目光。它的诱惑力和魅力迷倒了慕名而来的所有游客。
  你发现巴黎的魅力在哪里?是在法国历任统治者美化他们心爱的城市遗留的遗产中吗?还是在著名的城堡、宫殿、雕像或纪念碑中,比如埃菲尔铁塔?可以在世界级的博物馆中,如卢浮宫找到吗?或许,巴黎的诱惑力就在于巴黎人民的热情和独特的风格吧。
  游览巴黎时,你不必把时间全部花在参观博物馆和纪念碑上。当然,这些确实值得你花点时间,可是就暂且忘记它们一天吧。先用点时间去四处看看,体验一下巴黎的生活吧。你会发现它的魅力。
  沿着塞纳河漫步一会儿。顺便欣赏一下沿岸美术品卖主的华美绘画。偷看一下悉心照料的花园中精致的铁门。法国人对细节的独具慧眼,使得法国与高品位媲美,细心留意一下吧。你会在拱门或门口的设计上、在小的喷泉上和精巧的阳台上明白他们的独具匠心。无论你看到哪里,都能发现生活中的物品都被变成艺术杰作了。
  花一点时间在一座宁静的公园,坐在陈旧的长椅上休息一下。或者,躺在青青的绿草上小睡一会。如果你想吃点什么,那就在路边的咖啡馆来点咖啡和糕饼吧。找个巴黎人闲聊一番,尽管,不是很容易。在这样一个国际性的人口大城市里,地道的巴黎本土人已经很难找到了。
  夜幕降临在巴黎这个城市,迷雾在河岸的上空升腾,它的魅力也愈演愈烈。你可以听到附近露天音乐会上的音乐:古典的、爵士的,有歌剧,有小调,这是法国的民间歌曲。巴黎人都喜爱自己的音乐。星空是他们的礼堂。在城堡和教堂,你也可以听到音乐会。巴黎的音乐永远没有休止符。
  不要错过巴黎傍晚最精彩的活动——去吃顿大餐。巴黎人以其烹饪技术为豪。不过,这里的烹饪的确不错,举世闻名。美食佳肴是生活中不可或缺的乐趣。你需要一本专门的指南书,指导你从数百家出色的饭店中进行挑选。法国的首都以其每个地域特色、乳酪和畅销全国的美酒而自豪。如果你实在不知该点什么,那就索要推荐菜谱吧。厨师总是将他们最拿手的列在上面。请记住,没进一家巴黎的法国餐馆吃一顿饭之前,你都没有品尝法国真实的风味。
  享用完晚餐之后,到灯光闪烁的纪念碑走一趟。走过巴黎最古老的第九桥,就到达了城市之岛。巴黎最著名的标志性建筑——圣母院就在前方若隐若现。站在圣母院前面的广场上,在这里,你就正站在法国的中心。所有的距离都是从圣母院前面算起。法国的每条路都通向它的前门。所有法国国王和领导,都曾来到这里纪念重要的日子和表示感恩。圣母院不仅是巴黎的心脏,也是法国的心脏。
  你在巴黎的旅行才刚刚开始。你才刚刚开始发现这座古城的魅力。你下面的旅程也一样难忘吗?等到归期来到,你将恋恋不舍。你用法语说,巴黎,后会有期!
  浪漫之都——巴黎,有着悠久的文化底蕴。巴黎这个城市,当迷雾升腾时,她的魅力也愈演愈烈。还有巴黎的标志性建筑——巴黎圣母院。法国的首都——巴黎,饮食上也相当讲究。林林总总,巴黎留给我们的永远是无尽的遐思。
  Paris: a Romantic Capital
  Anonymous
  Ah, beautiful Paris. For centuries this city has attracted the admiration of the world. The allure1 and charm of Paris captivate all who visit there.
  Where can you discover the charm of Paris for yourself? Is it in the legacy of all the French rulers who worked to beautify their beloved city? Is it in the famous castles, palaces, statues and monuments2, such as the Eiffel Tower? Can you find it in the world-class museums, such as the Louvre? Perhaps Paris allure lies in the zest and style of the Parisians.书包网
巴黎:浪漫之都(2)
When you visit Paris, you don’t have to spend all of your time visiting museums and monuments. They are certainly worthy of your time, but ignore them for a day. First take some time to look around and experience life in Paris. You’ll find it charming.
  Take a stroll3 along the Seine River. Browse through the art vendors’ colorful paintings. Peek through delicate iron gates at the well-kept gardens. Watch closely for the French attention to detail that has made France synonymous with good taste. You will see it in the design of a doorway or arch and in the little fountains and quaint balconies. No matter where you look, you will find everyday objects transformed into works by art.
  Spend some time in a quiet park relaxing on an old bench. Lie on your back on the green grass. When you need refreshment, try coffee and pastries at a sidewalk cafe. Strike up a conversation with a Parisian. This isn’t always easy, though. With such a large international population living in Paris, true natives are hard to find these days.
  As evening comes to Paris, enchantment rises with the mist over the riverfront. You may hear music from an outdoor concert nearby: classical, jazz, opera or chansons4, those French folk songs. Parisians love their music. The starry sky is their auditorium. You can also hear concerts in the chateaux and cathedrals. In Paris the Music never ends.
  Don’t miss the highlight of Paris evening, eating out. Parisians are proud of their cuisine. A it’s world famous. Gourmet dining is one of the indispensable joys of living. You need a special guidebook to help you choose one of the hundreds of excellent restaurants. The capital of France boasts every regional specialty, cheese and wine the country has to offer, if you don’t know what to order, ask for the suggested menu. The chef likes to showcase his best dishes there. Remember, you haven’t tasted the true flavor of France until you’ve dined at a French restaurant in Paris.
  After your gourmet dinner, take a walking tour of the floodlit monuments. Cross the Pont Neuf, the oldest bridge in the city, to the lie de la Cite. The most famous landmark of Paris looms up in front of you. The Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathedral of Our Lady). Stand in the square in front of the cathedral. Here, you are standing in the center of France. All distances are measured from the front of Notre Dame. Every road in France leads to her front door. All French kings and leaders have journeyed here to commemorate important occasions and give thanks. Notre Dame is the heart of Paris and the heart of France.
  Your visit in Paris has only just begun. You’ve just started to discover the charm of this old city. May the rest of your journey be unforgettable? When it is time to leave, you will go reluctantly. You will say with the French, “A bientot, Paris, a bientot!” (See you again soon, Paris!)
  书包网
一个完全相反的地方
[法国]阿尔伯特·卡缪
  阿尔伯特·卡缪(),法国作家,生于阿尔及利亚的蒙多维,幼年丧父,生活贫困但学习刻苦并获哲学学士学位。1935年开始从事戏剧活动,一生钟爱戏剧创作。主要剧本有《误会》《卡利古拉》等,除了剧本,卡缪还创作了很多著名小说,中篇小说《局外人》是他的成名作,也是荒诞小说的代表作。1957年获诺贝尔文学奖。这篇文章是借对小镇景物的刻画,对人类盲目追逐商业文明的控诉。
  让我们承认那个小镇的丑陋。它的气氛做作、平静,而且,你需要花时间去发现,它为何与世界其他地方的许多商业中心有所不同。你如何能想象这样的一种景致,如,一个没有鸽子、没有任何树木或花园的小镇,在这里听不见鸟儿振翅或树叶的沙沙声——简而言之,这是一个完全相反的地方。在这里季节只能依靠天空来辨别。春天的来临也只能通过空气来感觉,或是由小贩从郊区带来的一篮篮的花儿来感知;春天在市场上被叫卖着。在夏天里,房子被太阳烘得干透,灰色的尘埃布满了墙壁,你别无选择,只有躲在拉上的百叶窗后,在室内逃避那些炙热的日子。秋天则泥沙泛滥。只有冬季带来真正愉悦的气候。
  也许,了解一个城镇最简单的方法,是了解它的市民如何工作,如何恋爱和如何死亡。在我们的小镇上(不知是否受了天气的影响)这三件事在同样灼热难耐却已司空见惯的空气中,以极为相同的方式完成。实际上,每个人都觉得无聊,便投入到各自爱好的培养中。我们的市民都努力工作,但唯一的目标是发财。他们最主要的兴趣是商业,而生活之首要目的,就如他们自己所说的,是“做生意”。自然,他们也免不了一些像海浴、看电影等简单的娱乐。但是,他们非常明智地把这些消遣留到周六下午与周日,而其他时间却尽可能地用来赚钱。黄昏,他们离开办公室,会在固定的时间里聚集在咖啡馆,在相同的林荫大道上散步,或是在阳台上透透气。年轻人的热情强烈但为时不长;年长者的不良嗜好很少超出沉溺于保龄球、宴会和社交的范围,或者是沉湎于那种打出一张牌,就能赚大笔钱的俱乐部。
  A Thoroughly Negative Place
  Albert Camus
  The town itself, let us admit, is ugly. It has a smug, placid air and you need time to discover what it is that makes it different from so many business centers in other parts of the world. How to conjure up a picture, for instance, of a town without pigeons, without any trees or gardens, where you never hear the beat of wings or the rustle of leaves—a thoroughly negative place, in short? The seasons are discriminated only in the sky. All that tells you of spring’s coming is the feel of the air, or the baskets of flowers brought in from the it’s a spring cried in the market-places. During the summer the sun bakes the houses bone-dry, sprinkles our walls with grayish dust, and you have no option but to survive those days of fire indoors, behind closed shutters. In autumn, on the other hand, we have deluges of mud. Only winter brings really pleasant weather.
  Perhaps the easiest way of making a town’s acquaintance is to ascertain how the people in it work, how they love, and how they die. In our little town (is this, one wonders, an effect of the climate?) all three are done on much the same lines, with the same feverish yet casual air. The truth is that everyone is bored, and devotes himself to cultivating habits. Our citizens work hard, but solely with the object of getting rich. Their chief interest is in commerce, and their chief aim in life is, as they call it, “doing business”. Naturally they don’t eschew such simpler pleasures as sea-bathing, going to the pictures. But, very sensibly, they reserve these pastimes for Saturday afternoons and Sundays and employ the rest of the week in making money, as much as possible. In the evening, on leaving the office, they forgather, at an hour that never varies, in the cafes, stroll the same boulevard, or take the air on their balconies. The passions of the young are violent and short- the vices of older men seldom range beyond an addiction to bowling, to banquets and “socials”, or clubs where large sums change hands on the fall of a card.
这里是纽约(1)
[美国]埃·布·怀特
  埃·布·怀特(),美国著名散文家、评论家。生于纽约,毕业于康奈尔大学。他曾任《纽约人》杂志的编辑和《哈帕斯》的专栏作家,为《纽约人》供职长达12年之久,《纽约人》的成功他有着不可替代的贡献。同时,怀特在儿童读物的创作上也颇有建树,其代表作有《这里是纽约》。怀特思想敏感独特,对生活的观察细致入微,文风朴素无华,尤其是一些游记性的文章,被广泛转载于大量的课本与选本之中。其主要作品有散文集《拐角处的第二棵树》、诗集《冷漠的女士》等。
  假使有谁求取孤独和退隐这样奇怪的奖品,纽约同样会大方地让他达成心愿。正是因为这种大方的气质,各方人士才汇集到纽约城。曼哈顿的居民大多都是外乡人,他们从很远的地方搬到这里,为的就是找寻梦想的家园、自身价值的体现或某些或大或小的抱负。纽约的神秘之处恰恰在于创造了各种看似不可能的可能。它可以毁灭一个人,也可以让这个人飞黄腾达。完全由运气主导。假如一个人不乐意祈求好运,那他最好就不要来纽约生活。
  纽约浓缩了艺术、商业、体育、宗教、娱乐和金融的精髓。在这袖珍般的土地上,角斗士、布道者、推销商、演员、证券投机者和商人等纷纷亮相,展示着自己的本领。它处处显露出挥之不去的传统气息,因此不管你坐在纽约的哪个地方,你都可以感受到伟大的时代和各种丰功伟绩、千奇百怪的人物及事件所带来的震撼。此时在度的高温下,我正坐在纽约城中一间燥热的酒店房间内。在这间悬在半空的房间里,空气静止了一般,但我的情绪却不明来由地被周围散发的某种东西所影响。我清楚,自己所在的地方离鲁道夫·瓦伦蒂诺的长眠之地有22个街区;离纳森·黑尔英勇牺牲处有8个街区;离当年欧内斯特·海明威拳打马克斯·伊斯曼的出版大楼有5个街区;离沃尔特·惠特曼奋笔疾书为“布鲁克林之鹰”撰写评论的住所有4英里;离维拉·凯瑟搬来纽约从事内布拉斯加系列作品写作之时,所住的大街有34个街区;离马塞林过去表演杂耍的马戏场仅一街之隔;离当年历史学家裘·古尔德在众人面前脚踢收音机的地方,有36个街区;离哈里·肖枪击斯坦福·怀特的地点有13个街区;离我以前做引导员的大都会歌剧院有5个街区;离当年克拉伦斯·戴的忏悔之所——显圣殿,也仅112个街区(仅举几个例子)。正是由于这些原因,此时,我或许就待在那些尊贵而值得怀念的人们曾眷恋过的地方。或许,在那些酷热、阴沉的午后,他们中的某个人——虽然寂寞无聊——却曾经和我一样在这周围的景色中荡漾。
  几分钟前,我下楼吃饭时,发现在我旁边(大约18英寸外挨墙的地方)坐着的是弗雷德·斯通。18英寸的距离,是纽约为其居民规定的人与人之间的规范性距离,在给人亲近感的同时,又好像远隔万里。我和弗雷德·斯通曾见过一面。大概在20世纪初的时候,我曾在《绿野仙踪》中看过他的表演。而我们的服务生则因为可以直接接触“稻草人”先生,便自认为与他有某种联系。当斯通先生离开饭店后,这名服务生告诉我,自己还是个年轻小伙时,也就是刚到纽约那会儿,对英语一窍不通。他和女朋友第一次去剧院约会,当时放映的影片就是《绿野仙踪》。服务生回忆说,演出很美妙,剧中那个微不足道的稻草人被演得活灵活现。服务生(仍然保持只有18英寸的距离)好像很认真地说:“斯通先生吃得可真多”,而且一想到终于和“稻草人”先生有了一点联系,便很心满意足。
  纽约不但带给人孤寂,又赋予人们分享的快乐。与世界上其他大都市相比,纽约有一个优势,那就是虽然这里时时刻刻都发生着惊天动地却美妙无比的事情,它却能确保让每一个人(如果这个人想的话,我想人们大都希望如此)远离干扰。自从我踏进这空气混浊的房间起,城里已发生了很多重大事件。一名男子出于妒忌,用枪杀死了自己的妻子。除了事发公寓,在其他地方并未引起什么轰动,报上也只草草写了几行文字。我也没有在意。自我来这儿以后,纽约举办过全球最盛大的航空展。尽管我听别人说,现场人山人海,可我没去参加,纽约八百万人口中的大部分人也没参加。除了只有几架平日里常常从屋顶上掠过向西飞去的商业飞机,我居然没听到其他飞机的声音。在北大西洋上航行的世界上最大的远洋船来来往往,我没有注意这些船,大部分纽约人也没有。据说,纽约港是全球最大的海港,码头区长达650英里,进港的船只来自许多满是异国情调的国家。然而,自从我来了以后,我只见过一艘船,那是前天晚上走过布鲁克林大桥时,一艘在退潮时沿东河迎风破浪的单桅小帆船。的确,有一天子夜,我曾听到过“玛丽女王”的笛声,但那声音饱含了过多的伤感、渴望和失落。那些社会权贵们已经开过了集体会议,但我一个权贵也没有看到。一位朋友倒是看到了其中的一位,还向我描述了他的外貌(此人保守得很,身着一件西班牙式的敞胸短上衣)。纽约的球场和马场上,以前曾上演过规模宏大的赛事,可我没看到棒球手,也没有看到赛马。州长光顾过这儿,我听到过警笛长鸣,但也仅仅是到此为止——这次又是那18英寸的距离阻断人们的联系。掉下的门楣会把人砸死。此事与我毫无干系。那18英寸的距离又一次扮演了卑劣的角色。书包网 txt小说上传分享
这里是纽约(2)
我提到这些的初衷仅仅是想让大家明白纽约是一个特别的地方,它差不多容纳并摄取了所有外来的事物(无论是从东部驶来的长达1000英尺的巨轮,还是来自西部的两万人大集会),却不会给它的居民带来负担。从某种意义上说,这里所发生的每一件事都是可选择的,居民们可以快乐地选择自己的景象,同时又保持自己灵魂的完整。在茫茫世界之中,城市不论大小,选择之权通常根本不在个人手中。个人只能任凭权贵人物的调遣。那些大人物可以兴风作浪;事件的发生不可避免。要是门楣掉下来,它会砸在每一个公民的头上,砸在每一个住在城内的人头上。有时我想,每个纽约人都逃不过的一件事,无非是一年一度的圣帕特里克节大游行。那可真是全城动员的一大盛事。纽约城内有50万爱尔兰人,要知道想让他们走上街头是相当困难的一件事。
  纽约城把它的居民和日常事件分离开来的特点,或许对他们只有伤害。想象一下,如果他们生活在其他地方,当门楣倒下来时,你就会听到声音;有州长路过时,不管怎么样都可看到他的帽子,那他们将更加健康快乐。
  我倒不是在这一点上为纽约辩护。很大一部分人来这里或许只是为了躲避现实,而不是直面现实。但无论怎么说,纽约所赋予人们的是一种罕见的礼物。我相信这种东西会积极地促进纽约人的创造力——之所以称为创造,从某种角度上来说,只不过是把大大小小让人分心的事扔在一边。
  虽然纽约常给人一种被遗弃的感觉,但它很少饱经沧桑或面如死灰。你仅仅需要把家挪动10个街区或花掉5美元,就会有一种恢复活力的感觉。许多情绪低落、精神恍惚的人都把这个城市的巨大活力当成自己的精神支柱和发展动力。在这个国家,只有天气的变化,或者邮箱里新到的信件,会让人精神为之一振,其他的事物都引不起人们的兴趣。但纽约却魅力四射。我认为,虽然很多人到这儿来是由于精力旺盛(这使他们与家乡的小镇截然不同),可还有一些人是因为精神贫乏才来的,他们在纽约找到了一种保护,一种精神上的替代。
  我认为纽约可以分为三种类型。第一个纽约是那些土生土长的人们眼里的纽约。这些人认可并自然地正视纽约的所有事物,包括它的辽阔和吵闹。第二个纽约是手拿月票、反复奔波的上班族眼里的纽约。这些人把纽约看成是一台日出工作、日落休息的机器。第三个纽约是那些来此怀揣梦想的异乡客眼里的纽约。在上述三个鲜明的城市形象中,最后一个最伟大,因为它拥有一个目标,堪称终极之城。恰恰是这第三种形象,酝酿了纽约缤纷绚烂的气质、高贵的风度、艺术的璀璨及其独一无二的成就。匆忙的上班族使这个城市高速发展,本地的人们在这里哺育后代,但那些外来的异乡客却给予它激情。无论是为了逃离左邻右舍的侮辱而到密西西比河畔耕种建村的意大利农民,还是箱底放着一份手稿、胸中却暗藏痛苦的来自玉米地带的男孩,这都没有什么区别,他们每一个人都以冒险家新鲜的目光关注纽约,所发出的光和热甚至使联合爱迪生公司都相形见绌。
  匆忙的上班族是最独特的一个群体。他们所居住的郊区根本谈不上有活力,不过是下班后回来休息的地方。一个住在马莫内克或小内克或提内克的人,却在纽约上班。在他眼中,他熟悉的只有火车和公共汽车的出发、到达时间和吃便餐途经的那条小路;而对于这个城市的其他事物,他差不多是一概不知。他整日埋头工作,几乎没有一次在夕阳下漫游,偶尔站在公园的瞭望塔旁,看防御用的堡垒在池塘边高高耸立,注视男孩们在岸边钓鱼,看女孩们在岩石旁随心所欲地躺着。他与悠闲一派根本沾不上边,在这座城市,一次也没有注意到真正的惊喜,因为他心中只有工作。他在曼哈顿金钱遍地的河里垂钓过,收获过钱币,却一次也没有聆听过它的呼吸,没有在它的清晨醒来、在它的夜晚睡下。每个工作日的早晨,大概有40万男男女女,从地铁和隧道里挤出来,来到这片岛屿。他们中很少有人曾在公共图书馆安静的阅览室里,享受过一个悠闲的下午。图书馆运书的电梯(如同一部水车)不断地上上下下,把书运送到流动架上。他们在包厘街上帮人看管火炉,炉膛里的火苗在温度只有零度的冬夜里噼里啪啦地响。他们也可能在金融区中心工作,却从未见过洛克菲勒中心富丽堂皇的花卉树木。在那儿,一到风景优美的春天清晨,黄水仙、麝香兰属植物和白桦树都整理得整整齐齐的,还有各色旗帜迎风飘扬。他们也可能在市中心的办公室里工作,一年又一年,却从未见过防波堤外面的总督岛。这样的上班族只要离开人世,人生的日程表上会留有一串长长的印记,可他却不是一个流浪者。即便和那些饲养草原犬鼠的村民们相比,他的登场和谢幕离开要多几分曲折。他最终埋葬在东河河底的污泥里,变成一朵浪花静静地拍打着大桥。仅仅长岛铁路一家公司去年就运送了四千万这样的上班族,但其中很多是反复往来的人。书 包 网 txt小说上传分享
这里是纽约(3)
纽约的奇妙之处还在于,有时候城里的居民反而比匆忙的上班族走得更远。欧文·柏林当年从郊区东部的雪莉街来到市中心的一幢公寓,走的是一条普通的小路,两者间的距离不过三四英里,但他却如同绕地球走了三圈。
  Here Is New York
  Elwyn Brooks White
  On any person who desires such queer1 prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy. It is this largess that accounts for the presence within the city’s walls of a considerable secti for the residents of Manhattan are to a large extent strangers who have pulled up stakes somewhere and come to town, seeking sanctuary or fulfillment or some greater or lesser grail. The capacity to make such dubious gifts is a mysterious quality of New York. It can destroy an individual, or it can fulfill him, depending a good deal on luck. No one should come to New York to live unless he is willing to be lucky.
  New York is the concentrate2 of art and commerce and sport and religion and entertainment and finance, bringing to a single compact arena the gladiator, the evangelist, the promoter, the actor, the trader, and the merchant. It carries on its lapel the unexpungeable odor of the long past, so that no matter where you sit in New York you feel the vibrations of great times and tall deeds, of queer people and events and undertakings. I am sitting at the moment in a stifling hotel room in 90-degree heat, halfway down an air shaft, in midtown. No air moves in or out of the room, yet I am curiously affected by emanations from the immediate surroundings. I am twenty-two blocks from where Rudolph Valentino lay in state, eight blocks from where Nathan Hale was executed, five blocks from the publisher’s office where Ernest Hemingway hit Max Eastman on the nose, four miles from where Walt Whitman sat sweating out editorials for the Brooklyn Eagle, thirty-four blocks from the street Willa Cather lived in when she came to New York to write books about Nebraska, one block from where Marceline used to clown on the boards of the Hippodrome, thirty-six blocks from the spot where the historian Joe Gould kicked a radio to pieces in full view of the public, thirteen blocks from where Harry Thaw shot Stanford Whites, five blocks from where I used to usher at the Metropolitan Opera
and only 112 blocks from the spot where Clarence Day the elder was washed of his sins in the Church of the Epiphany ( I could continue this list indefinitely); and for that matter I am probably occupying the very room that any number of exalted and somewise memorable characters sat in, some of them on hot, breathless afternoons, lonely and private and full of their own sense of emanations3 from without.
  When I went down to lunch a few minutes ago I noticed that the man sitting next to me (about eighteen inches away along the wall) was Fred Stone. The eighteen inches were both the connection and the separation that New York provides for its inhabitants. My only connection with Fred Stone was that I saw him in The Wizard of Oz around the beginning of the century. But our waiter felt the same stimulus from being close to a man from Oz, and after Mr. Stone left the room the waiter told me that when he (the waiter) was a young man just arrived in this country and before he could understand a word of English, he had taken his girl for their first theater date to The Wizard of Oz. It was a wonderful show, the waiter recalled—a man of straw, a man of tin. Wonderful!(And still only eighteen inches away. ) “Mr. Stone is a very hearty eater.” said the waiter thoughtfully, content with this fragile participation in destiny, this link with
书包网最好的txt下载网
这里是纽约(4)
New York blends the gift of privacy with the excitem and better than most dense communities it succeeds in insulating the individual (if he wants it, and almost everybody wants or needs it) against all enormous4 and violent and wonderful events that are taking place every minute. Since I have been sitting in this miasmic air shaft, a good many rather splashy events have occurred in town. A man shot and killed his wife in a fit of jealousy. It caused no stir outside his block and got only small mention in the papers. I did not attend. Since my arrival, the greatest air show ever staged in all the world took place in town. I didn’t attend and neither did most of the eight million other inhabitants, although they say there was quite a crowd. I didn’t even hear any planes except a couple of westbound commercial airliners that habitually use this air shaft to fly over. The biggest oceangoing ships on the North Atlantic arrived and departed. I didn’t notice them and neither did most other New Yorkers. I am told this is the greatest seaport in the world, with 650 miles of waterfront, and ships calling here from many exotic lands, but the only boat I’ve happened to
notice since my arrival was a small sloop tacking out of the East River night before last on the ebb tie when I was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I heard the Queen Mary blow one midnight, though, and the sound carried the whole history of departure and longing and loss. The Lions have been in convention. I’ve seen not one Lion. A friend saw one and told me about him. (He was lame, and was wearing a bolero.) At the ballgrounds and horse parks the greatest sporting spectacles have been enacted. I saw no ballplayer, no race horse. The governor came to town. I heard the siren5 scream, but that was all there was to that—an eighteen-inch margin again. A man was killed by a falling cornice. I was not a party to the tragedy, and again the inches counted heavily.
  I mention these merely to show that New York is peculiarly constructed to absorb almost anything that comes along (whether a thousand-foot liner out of the East or a twenty-thousand-man convention out of the West) without infliction the event on its inhabitants, so that every event is, in a sense, optional, and the inhabitant is in the happy position of being able to choose his spectacle and so conserve his soul. In most metropolises, small and large, the choice is often not with the individual at all. He is thrown to the Lions. The Li the event is unavoidable. A cornice falls, and it hits every citizen on the head, every last man in town. I sometimes think that the only event that hits every New Yorker on the head is the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade, which is fairly penetrating—the Irish are a hard race to tune out, and there are 500,000 of them in residence.书包网 txt小说上传分享
这里是纽约(5)
The quality in New York that insulates its inhabitants from life may simply weaken them as individuals. Perhaps it is healthier to live in a community where, when a cornice falls, where, when the governor passes, you see at any rate his hat.
  I am not defending New York in this regard. Many of its settlers are probably here merely to escape, not face, reality. But whatever it means, it is a rather rare gift, and I believe it has a positive effect on the creative capacities of New Yorker—for creation is in part merely the business of forgoing the great and small distractions.
  Although New York often imparts a feeling of great forlornness or forsakenness, it seldom seems d and you always feel that either by shifting your location ten blocks or by reducing your fortune by five dollars you can experience rejuvenation.
Many people who have no real independence of spirit depend on the city’s tremendous variety and sources of excitement for spiritual sustenance and maintenance of morale. In the country there are a few chances of sudden rejuvenation—a shift in weather, perhaps, or something arriving in the mail. But in New York the chances are endless. I think that although many persons are here from some excess of spirit (which caused them to break away from their small town), some, too, are here from a deficiency of spirit, who find in New York a protection, or an easy substitution.
  There are roughly three New本文字数204301,每页显示50000字 4/5页}

我要回帖

更多关于 怀特霍尔街上的长统靴 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信