guangxizhaosheng,not far from guangdong,do u want what kin

chinadaily101118-博泰典藏网
典藏文档 篇篇精品
chinadaily101118
导读:CHINADAILYTHRSDAY,NOVEMBER18,2010UPDFPageOrganizer-FoxitSoftwarelifetravel19OncedeadWellingtonburstswithlifeByDAVIDBARBERGERMANPRESSAGENCYSomeyearsago,anAmericantouristsaidcruellybCHINA DAILY
NOVEMBER 18, 2010UPDF Page Organizer - Foxit Softwarelifetravel 19 Once dead Wellington bursts with lifeBy DAVID BARBERGERMAN PRESS AGENCYSome years ago, an American tourist said cruelly but not, at the time, inaccurately, “Wellington is half the size of the New York City cemetery and twice as dead.” Today, according to the Lonely Planet guide-book, it is “the Coolest Little Capital in the World”.Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2011, published in November, ranked Wel-lington at No 4 in its list of the top 10 cities to visit in 2011, a remark-able accolade for a place that only a generation ago was one of the most maligned capitals, with a reputation for inclement weather and boring people and atmosphere.Th e only capital city in the Roar-ing Forties, it continues to earn its sobriquet Windy Wellington as gale force winds frequently funnel through Cook Strait separating New Zealand’s two main islands, strafi ng the city nestled on hills around a landlocked harbor.“But despite (or maybe because of) its impetuous weather, Wellington is Cool-with-a-capital-C, crammed with more bars, cafes and restaurants per capita than New York, and a slew of gourmet producers including some 10 independent coff ee roaster-ies,” Lonely Planet writer Catherine Le Nevez writes in Best in Travel 2011.Small ― being home to under 480,000 of New Zealand’s 4.4 mil-lion people and a third the size of the biggest city, Auckland ― its compact size energizes its sense of communi-ty, Le Nevez writes. “Locals love their city and get a kick out of helping visi-tors fall in love with it too.”Up to the early 1980s, Wellington was “a gray, boring, bureaucratic city”, in the words of former mayor Fran Wilde, who now chairs the Greater Wellington Regional Council. Th e gray, boring bureaucrats went home to the suburbs at fi ve o’clock and the city, its nightlife a closed-door secret to outsiders, died with the dusk. Tourists paused only to catch a ferry to cross Cook Strait.A change of government in 1984 dismantled a century of regulations, paving the way for an explosion of bars and restaurants and 24-hour, seven-day-a-week opening. This coincided with extensive rebuilding of the central business district as the old, gray blocks of buildings were a prime risk in the earthquake-prone city on the Pacifi c’s Ring of Fire.Sensing a seminal mood change, a group of businessmen launched an “Absolutely Positively Wellington” campaign that the city council was quick to adopt and the slogan con-tinues to decorate fl agpoles, sweaters, posters, bumper stickers and shop windows.Wellington justifiably calls itself New Zealand’s culture capital, with a booming fi lm industry (home to The Lord of the Rings studio), the national museum Te Papa, an abun-dance of art-house cinemas, theaters, an annual international fi lm festival and a biennial arts festival.But the scenic vistas, flora and fauna that New Zealand is renowned for are also close by.The magnificent harbor is over-looked from a dramatic look-out atop 196-meter Mount Victoria or aboard a cable car that climbs from the city to the Botanic Garden, with its dramatic tulip displays in spring and 300 variet-ies of roses in summer.A harbor ferry stops at the historic Matiu-Somes Island, alternatively a quarantine station for sick immi-grants and animals, a detention cen-ter for Germans and Italians during World War II and now a conserva-tion area for regenerating native trees and plants.The flightless kiwi ― the native bird and the national symbol ― and the prehistoric tuatara lizard roam in a 225-hectare predator-proof sanc-tuary on the edge of the city, about 3,000 seals spend the winter on the volcanic Red Rocks and signs warn of penguins crossing coastal roads.The charm of Tiankeng in Leye county, Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, lies in the subterranean world formed millions of years ago.LI JIN / FOR CHINA DAILYDeep impactA descent into the Tiankeng sinkholes of Leye county is not for the fainthearted, but it is intensely rewarding. Qi Yuehai reportsLI JIN / FOR CHINA DAILYSunlight pierces through a large cave opening in Leye county.QIN JIANGYING / FOR CHINA DAILYThe unique landforms and underground river of Leye.GONG HANLEI / FOR CHINA DAILYTiankeng boasts a huge national wild orchid reserve.he most attractive part of cave exploration is the unknown. Unlike climb-ers, cave explorers don’tknow what’s ahead and this can make the activity that much more thrilling.I recently experienced this feel-ing when I went deep down into the Tiankeng sinkholes of Leye county, Guangxi Zhuang autono-mous region.Twelve years ago, Leye was a poor and little known hillside county, but in 1999, the fi rst international expe-dition arrived.In 2000, another 20-person team explored further and discovered a cluster of previously unknown pits.It is believed the sinkholes, several hundred meters underground, were formed millions of years ago by some unusual geological movements.These landforms were dubbed tiankeng, or “naturally formed pits”.In mountainous Leye it oft en rains in July and the underground lakes swell, making it a dangerous time to explore. Still, I went, as a camera-man for an exploration team, and the rewards were handsome.As we went up the rough moun-tainous path in the early morning, we beheld piercing sunlight and drift ing clouds that turned the sky-line into a huge ink-wash painting.Not long after breakfast, we reached Dacao Tiankeng and in the valley full of vegetation there was a cliff
face that was partially obscured by the refl ection of the blinding sun ― and a large cave opening.TWe found a spot where we couldstation, anchor and go down to the entrance to the underground river, avoiding a time-consuming passage across the thick forest.My experienced companion, nicknamed “Octopus”, was the fi rst to descend and it wasn’t long before his red uniform disappeared from view.But then a voice came over the walkie-talkie: “I have done it. Th e rope is OK. Next one, please!”Aft er two others, it was my turn to descend.Stepping carefully to the anchor position, I made a straight fall. It was not the longest route downhill I had experienced but naturally I was a bit nervous about hanging in mid-air.On the 120-meter cliff descent I discovered it was not barren, as I fi rst thought, but in fact was fi lled with shrubs, towering trees and rare plant species.Although I did not see them I was told there were patches of wild orchids and to the eastern side of Daocao Tiankeng, there was a huge national wild orchid reserve.I tried to descend at an even speed but the gear soon heated up because of friction. Th e rope, under pressure, twisted and I span around, getting a view of the scen-ery all around.It took me just one minute to get down, but it seemed like an hour.Moving to the entrance of the underground river, I took a quick break and embraced the cold airand mists encircling me.Th e fi rst major sight in the sink-hole was “Red Rose Hall”, a 300-meter wide, 260-meter high vault close to the underground river. It was full of steam.It is predicted that in 100 years or so the roof will probably col-lapse and be fully exposed to the elements.We had to use a strong torch, but even so it was hard to see anything.The hall was dry when we entered, but it then began to rain. We tried to spot where the water was coming from and saw some great stalactites shining. Th ere was also a small waterfall with brightly colored stalactites.I had never experienced such a dynamic and beautiful subterra-nean world. I was so excited that I forgot it was midnight.The rich negative ions, oxygen and humid atmosphere kept us awake and excited, but we had to leave for work the next day.When we landed at the bottom, it was raining outside, but aft er climb-ing up to the mouth of the hollow we were greeted by a clear, night sky dotted with twinkling stars.We enjoyed the cool, night wind and the smell of fresh grass.Soon the subterranean mysteries were behind us and we took a break, turned off all the lights and just enjoyed the moment, even though we were exhausted.e article fi rst appeared in Trends ThTraveler magazine.Lonely Planet’s Top 10 Cities 2011 are:1. New York City, US; 2. Tangier, M 3. Tel Aviv, I 4. Wellington, New Z 5. Valencia, S 6. Iquitos, P 7. Ghent, B 8. New Delhi, I 9. Newcastle, Australia and 10. Chiang Mai, Thailand.Transportation:Take the 9 am bus from Nanning, capital of Guangxi Zhuang autono-mous region, to Leye county. The ticket costs 80 yuan ($12) one-way.Take the sleeper bus at 11 pm from Nanning, 60 yuan ($9) one-way, arriving at Leye next morning. (Call )Take the ? ight to Tianyang Airport in Baise, Guangxi, and reach Leye by airport shuttle.In Leye county, you can take a taxi to Dacao Tiankeng.Accommodation:Hotels in Leye: Three-star Jin Yuan International Hotel ();Leye Hotel ();Bu Liuhe Hotel (0); Hong Yan Hotel () In Dacao Tiankeng, you can choose nearby Huomai village, 20 yuan ($3) per person per night, usually 15 yuan ($2) per person for a meal.Training agencies:Guangxi Branch of Committee on Speleology in Nanning (, Xiao Tian can be reached at )Fly Cat Adventure Club in Leye(, Li Jin can be reached at )Special attention:If you want to go cave exploring, arm yourself with some common knowl-edge of the geography and geology of the area, undergo the required train-ing, buy all necessary equipment and cultivate good mental qualities.Keep your family informed of your plans, about your companions and about the time you enter the cave. You should have at least two partners.If you get lost in the cave, stay calm and do not try to feel your way out. Wait for help.Avoid going downhill in rainy season in case mudslides block off
the exit route.GONG HANLEI / FOR CHINA DAILYThe sinkholes are home to many tiny species such as crickets.20 lifepulsePDF Page Organizer - Foxit SoftwareTHURSDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2010
CHINA DAILY What goes around, comes aroundOf the rash of bartering sites that appeared in 2006, only a few survive. But their patrons believe money-less exchange is the way forward for a green lifestyle. Xu Junqian reportsAll wound upover a stronggust of windBy DEBBIE MASONFOR CHINA DAILYSPANG LI / CHINA DAILYhanghai native Li Huizhu, 48, claims not to be inspired by the much-told tale of Cana-dian blogger Kyle MacDon-ald, who bartered his way from a single red paper clipto a house, through a series of online trades, in 2006.Th e home manager has swapped coupons and show tickets given by the nursery school where she teaches, and cosmetics gift ed by friends and colleagues, for more than 500 items of everyday use.Th is has helped her accumulate all the shampoo and soaps her
family has needed over the two years that she has been bartering.And when her son got ready to leave home for college in September, Li got everything he wanted for his dormi-tory and classroom ―from pillows to battery chargers, from pens to notebooks, and secondhand bicycle to trol-ley ― through barter.“Bartering helps both parties by making possible the exchange of items of comparable value and use,’’ Li says.“Everything, except for money, is exchangeable on the bartering website. All you do is upload a picture of the items you don’t want, write a few words about it,leave your contact information and then, just wait and see what happens,” says Li, who could not even chat online two years ago, but is now a photoshop ace, and a top seller of the website’s 20,000 registered members.“Th e only rule to follow is to be honest with what you deal. Don’t brag about or hide anything. And keep in mind the item’s utility for the other side,’’ Li adds.But Sun Yumin, one of the founders of , the Shanghai-based bartering website, and Li’s friend, believes successful bartering calls for “a special talent” ― a combination of a salesman’s persuasiveness and a collector’s shrewdness.“Bartering is based on trust. Th ere is never a guarantee of satisfaction. And confl icts occur frequently, especially when it comes to electronic gadgets,” Sun says.To minimize troubles, the swapping of goods is usu-ally done face-to-face, so that the items can be examined personally before a deal is sealed. Th ese meetings invariably
happen at subway stations along a line that goes through either or both participants’ workplace.“Since the core idea in bartering is to spend less, we need to keep costs to a bare minimum,” Sun says.Th ese personal meetings also lead to unlikely friend-ships.“Girls and boys my son’s age come to me for help with telling fakes from originals,
and secondhand from new.
I feel young and happy hanging out with them,” Li says.According to Sun, 70 percent of the website’s members are young white-collar
workers, with retired or middle-aged computer literate people comprising the rest.Th ere are currently about 150,000 barter items listed on the website. But the overall volume of transactions is hard to estimate as most of the deals are made offl
ine.Th e most popular items are discount shopping cards, bakery coupons and show tickets that have a precise
value.A site attached to a Web design and development com-pany in Jinan, Shandong province, , was one of the hundreds of bartering websites that cropped up in 2007, when the legend of Kyle MacDonald swept through the country.But most were unable to turn in a profit and shut down. Since it provides a free service to those using it,
makes money only through advertisements posted by other online stores, and that is often just enough to off set its basic costs.Apart from some technical support from its parent site in Jinan, Sun manages the site on his own, while keeping his regular job as a science teacher in a junior school.The only reason for its survival, Sun says, is that it is free.
That leaves little scope for any expansion, in spite of its increasing popularity.Gu Zhong, an IT engineer who also set up a bartering website () two years ago, agrees.Th ey are now looking for ways to promote bartering as essential to a green lifestyle and hope they can work with environment groups to promote the idea.what’snewsign up for new destinations, analysts say.Th e Scandinavian Peninsula, West Asia, the Arabian Peninsu-la, North Africa and Middle Europe are becoming increasingly popular with Chinese travelers.According , the largest travel website in China, 30 percent of overseas tour groups have already been booked up.brandy) from the Petite Champagne area of France, guaranteed to be at least 43 years old and including two vintage Cognacs, from 1962 and 1964.Recently in Beijing it’s been quite windy, feel-ing more like spring in some ways. Th e winds have brought beautiful clear, blue skies and the kind of puff y clouds you might see on a daily basis in my home country, England.Unless it is too ferocious (I remember a particularly bad windstorm that closed bus routes and businesses throughout London, leaving commuters stranded), the wind isn’t really worth mentioning ― it’s consid-ered bracing and fresh when out in the wilds, and a little annoying in towns if one’s hat gets blown off . Th e unimportance we attach to it is why I have always noticed that in China it seems people are almost paranoid about a few gusts. When overhearing locals com-POTplaining about the weather (they doit just as much as we Brits are renowned for), if it’s not leng (cold), it’s windy (gua feng).When my little boy was just a baby, I would always get earnest warnings from complete strangers if his stom-ach navel was bared, for that was where the wind could enter his body and give him diarrhea, they suggested. I was also told not to push him outside in his stroller on a windy day in case he swallowed some wind and went a bit crazy.I soon discovered that the character for crazy (feng ?), or mad, has the character for wind (亢) in it, beneath the illness radical.And to mock someone has the speech radical next to the character for wind (?). Speaking wind? What is so evil about the wind, I wondered? Some light is shed when you look at some of the theories behind TCM, or Traditional Chinese Medi-cine, which I for one would never ignore.It has been tried and tested for so many years I have to believe that some of it works, and so many people today still swear by it that they can’t all be wrong. “Th e pernicious infl uence of wind is considered the major cause of illness in traditional Chinese patterns of disharmony,” says the howstuff works website. “It combines readily with other pathogens, giving rise to syndromes known as wind cold, wind heat, and wind dampness. “Th is pathogenic factor … appearing without warn-ing and constantly changing ... (is) considered a yang form of evil qi, and oft en attacks the upper body, head, throat and eyes.” Th e website describes symptoms such as twitching, spasms, shaking and lung disease, all caused by the movement wind provokes.I wonder how much was provoked by airborne diseases like tuberculosis, now brought mainly under control, but certainly a killer in China as recently as the 1990s.Or maybe the spring winds in Beijing, which carry on them deserts of sand.As far as I know, there is no such wind fear in West-ern thinking. We might be wary of draft s while we sleep, as not only are they uncomfortable, they are also thought to give rise to stiff
joints. But draft s are not “wind”, as such.Western idioms revolving around wind are usually positive unless they specifi cally state the opposite, for example “it’s an ill wind that blows no good”.But most have positive inferences ― like “the winds of change”, which usually indicate a change for the better, and “blowing the cobwebs away”, where a good gust of wind is believed to be capable of freshening up something (or someone) that has gathered dust.When someone “throws caution to the wind”, they take a risk, rather recklessly but also rather bravely. Risk in Chinese, feng xian, is also about wind, but here this is not a positive meaning.And in feng shui, I have found out that the wind bit is the qi that’s scattered ― water is needed to bring it all together again.I haven’t quite solved the mystery despite trawling through a few websites. Th e people I have asked have backed up my suspicions, but no one has given any real basis to why Brother Wind is so feared.So for now I’ll button up my coat, squash my hat down more fi rmly on my head, and head out to the hills for some air. Th e fact that it’s not too cold yet has put some wind in my sails.Remembering Xiao YoumeiTo mark the 70th anniversary of the death of Chinese music educator and composer Xiao Youmei (), a bronze statue of Xiao was recently erected at the Beijing Concert Hall by the Central Conservatory of Music, China National Symphony Orchestra and China Symphony Development Foundation.Having earned his doctorate in Germany, Xiao founded China’s fi rst institute of higher education in music, the former National Conservatory, in 1927 in Nanjing.Xiao was also one of the fi rst Chinese composers to useWestern composition techniques. He composed more than 100 songs and a number of symphonic and chamber music pieces.Bilingual comic hits shelvesTh e fi rst bilingual comic Green Life Comic Book on low-car-bon living was launched on Nov 10 in Beijing.It is designed by Our Part initiative, a joint environmental awareness campaign of the United Nations Development Pro-gram (UNDP) in China and its national goodwill ambassador, actress Zhou Xun.Th e book, printed on eco-friendly paper, presents 57 stories by 16 renowned cartoonists from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan including Zhu Deyong, Mai Jiabi, Zhouzhou and Shuita. Th e fi rst 100,000 books will be distributed to primary and middle schools in major cities across China.Renata Lok-Dessallien, UN resident coordinator and UNDP resident representative in China, said the book can help each and every individual become a green ambassador and inspire others.The real world on ? lmTh e theme of the sixth Lianzhou International Photography Festival, from Dec 3-26 in southern Guangdong province, is “Is Th e World Real?”. Th e annual event comprises
exhibitions, seminars and lec-tures, and facilitates copyright trading for photographers and their agents.Established in 2005, the festival will present more than 1,000 thought-provoking photographs from around the world, says
organizing committee director Duan Yuting.Drumming up supportActress Zhang Jingchu appeared at Esprit’s Beijing fl agship store in Sanlitun to participate in its Big Bang event, for which giant drums have been placed at 10 main Esprit boutique stores around the world. Th e fashion label has challenged its customers worldwide to generate 3 million beats, for which it has committed 500,000 euros for its SOS Children’s Villages.For the past two years, the label has sponsored six SOSChildren’s Villages in India and the money raised in 2010 will go toward the
care of 140 children in Alibaug, India.CHINA DAILY ? XINHUALimited edition cognacCamus Cuvée 4.176, the latest edition of the French cognac series Camus Masterpiece Collection, has been released in China.Th is is the second edition of the collection by Cyril Camus, and only 980 bottles will be made available in the world.Cuvée 4.176 is composed of four eaux-de-vie (a clear fruitOverseas travel heats upTh e upcoming Spring Festival (Feb 2-8, 2011) will see over-seas tours account for a bigger market as travel-happy ChineseLI MIN / CHINA DAILYPDF Page Organizer - Foxit SoftwareCHINA DAILYT
NOVEMBER 18, 2010crosswordACROSSDresdengroup fairly27 Tony
1 Was innocentproven37 WhereCitigroup and 58 An title roleRandallmay accept a employee16 MergerJPMorgan package for 28 Brake alternativeChase areonebrand? uid17 Drive to drink?headquartered59 Met a body29 Without ? aws30 Soyons is a18 Stops striving39 Pizza form of it19 With “Do the Right joint inDOWN31 Symbol of St.turns down12-Down,Thing” 1 Not just brownBarnabas, 20 Ready 40 Potentialassaultforposter boy 2 Like a maverickwhose saint 21 Agricultural41 Dancing3 Rough ? gs.day comes at hay harvesting labor grp.technique 4 Quintessentiallytime22 Become44 New
5 Cut along the33 Daring exploituseless, as a setting: Abbr.Orleansgrain34 PC connection26-Down45 Food6 Football 27 Ukraine/preservative, Famer HirschHall-of-38 Firm for short?cheese,Moldova brie? y 7 Actorborder river47 Banda Richmond and 42 Where 32 Debtor’s(2004 tsunami ___singer Jacksonand sisters brothershang outoption, brie? ysite)8 Early 33 It 49 BombshellemperorRoman43 1677 tragedyRacineincludes taxoftenrevealedshortly before
9 Mrs. 35 “Do ___ else!”Election DayYeltsinBoris46 Issued notes?pound36 River through57 Didn’t judge a10 “La Dolce Vita”actress47 Coq ___11 Earth-shaking48 10 rupeesmillionYesterday’s solutionbeginning?12 See 19-Across49 Grp. out the that rolls13 Reebok rival
barrels?14 “Is it just ___ …”50 Woodwind15 Kite relativesinstr.21 Lacking 51 Hawaiian stapleresourcesthe52 Olive kin23 Order John Silver’sat Long53 JapanesePeace Nobelist 24 “___ of 1974hearts faint”: yourDeuteronomy 54 Willow variety20:355 Text 25 In a tanglestatusmessage26 In? ation target56 Job Abbr.preceder:comicsDilbertF-minusPeanutsDrabblehoroscopeCapricorn (DEC. 22-JAN. 19)If you’re getting together with a group for a speci? c purpose, you must be careful not to invite anyone who wouldn’t naturally ? t in, because the wrong type could upset the applecart.Aquarius (JAN. 20-FEB. 19)Gauge your audience carefully, so that you don’t bring up a subject matter you know could be off ensive to someone within the group. Be smart enough to keep it under wraps.Pisces (FEB. 20-MARCH 20)It will be wise in the long run to leave well enough alone when it comes to business or ? nancial situations that are running smoothly at present. Don’t take any chances.Aries (MARCH 21-APRIL 19)If you’re not careful, you could allow a shallow person to cloud your judgment of an individual who has done nothing wrong. Be your own person and think for yourself.Taurus (APRIL 20-MAY 20)It’s a case of the body being willing but the spirit being weak that makes you less industrious than you normal. Don’t wait untilyou’re totally out of time before you have any get up and go.Gemini (MAY 21-JUNE 20)This might be a day when you’ll have your head screwed on back-ward -- you’ll end up catering to the unworthy while doing next to nothing for those who deserve more. Reverse that.Cancer
(JUNE 21-JULY 22)Even if material conditions favor you, it would be a mistake to take your luck for granted. You still have to put forth the necessary eff ort to take advantage of Dame Fortune’s off erings.Leo (JULY 23-AUG. 22)The facts are likely to be totally worthless if you’re not attentive when information is being given to you to be passed on to others. Be sure to pay attention!Virgo (AUG. 23-SEPT. 22)Do not allow yourself to be pushed or tricked into a position in which you must underwrite the spending of an acquaintance who is known for being a bad credit risk.
Be strong enough to say no.Libra (SEPT. 23-OCT. 23)Both you and a close friend might hold equally strong positionsthat are on the opposite sides of the fence. Ask yourself if it is worth it to stand your ground at the expense of losing a pal.Scorpio (OCT. 24-NOV. 22)If you do very little but expect a whole lot back in return, you’re infor a major disappointment.
Unfortunately, your rewards will be commensurate to the work you put out.Sagittarius (NOV. 23-DEC. 21)You’ll come off
better working with small groups right now, so be careful where you go. Don’t inadvertently get yourself involved with large crowds.bridge“Engineering is the art of Henry G. Stott said, organizing and directing men and controlling the forces and materials of nature for the benefihuman race.”t of the is the art of organizing, Playing in a suit contract directing and controlling the trumps for the benefiof your partnership.t control, how would you In this example of trump plan the play in four spades after West leads first the diamond ace, then the diamond king?rounds of trumps, getting news of the 4-2 break, you ent that your side didn’t Once it became appar-will turn to clubs -- too late. have a diamond stopper, East will win with his ace you reached game in your and play another diamond, strong 5-2 fiforcing out your last trump. the best contract in these
t. Th is is oft en Ycircumstances as long as two clubs, but then East will ou can cash two hearts and declarer can retain trump ruffcontrol. True, here five trick for down one.in and cash a diamond clubs would have been an easy contract. But do you three. If East ducks his ace, Lead a club at trick always reach the best spot?you will run for home. So East wins and returns the two losers: one diamond You apparently have only diamond queen. To avoid and one club. However, you guesswork, discard a heart have only nine top tricks: or club. Give up one trick to firetain trump control. If East If you ruff the second
ve spades and four hearts. leads another diamond, ruffdiamond and draw threeit with dummy’draw trumps, and claim.s spade ace,of ?A Kakuro consists of a playing area crossword puzzle. Some black cellslled and empty cells similar to acontain a diagonal slash from top leftcalled “the clues”. A number in the top and one in the bottom left a “down”Yesterday’s solutiondigits from 1-9 into the white cells tototal the clue associated with it. However no digit can be dupli-cated in an entry. lifefun 21language tipsBETTER CHINESE杀熟 Charge, especially a friend, a high price/ It refers to ??VK???VK???cheating a friend.例:据说那个卖水果的专杀熟。??M???VKX???Q???J???P?L??VKX???JX???GH??]KX?Q??VK???VK?????It’s said that fruit seller cheats his friends and frequent customers quite often.― China Daily with contributions from New Slang of China, New World PressBETTER ENGLISH待命假日 on-callidayOn-calliday is the time of year where you take time off
from work to spend time with family, but are still required by your company to be accessible (as by mobile phone, pda or laptop) to address urgent issues. It’s a portmanteau of the words on-call and holiday.待命假日(on-calliday)指每年当中放下工作、与家人共同度过的一段私人时光,也就是我们所说的“假日”。但是,公司会要求你在假日期间保持通讯畅通(比如手机开机、掌上电脑或手提电脑随时联网等),以保证有紧急事务时能够随时找到你。所以,这样的假日就叫做“待命假日(on-call holiday)”,也就是其英文表达on-calliday的由来。For example:Have a safe on-calliday and a happy New Year, but don’t forget to log in while you enjoy your eggnog.祝你待命假日相安无事,同祝新年快乐。品尝蛋酒的时候别忘了登录网络保持在线啊。注:蛋酒(eggnog)是17世纪从欧洲传入北美洲的。主要是由牛奶,鸡蛋和酒混合制成的。这个名字的由来还有一段典故。北美殖民地期间,人们用朗姆酒混合鸡蛋和牛奶来制作蛋酒。那个时候,朗姆酒也被称为grog,而制成的蛋酒也就被叫做“egg-and-grog”,当时盛放蛋酒的是一种叫做noggin的木质马克杯,时间久了,人们就将这种带有朗姆酒的蛋酒称为“eggnog”了。―To learn more buzz words, please log on to .cn22 worldPDF Page Organizer - Foxit SoftwareTHURSDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2010
CHINA DAILY Prince William proposes to KateBy GREGORY KATZASSOCIATED PRESSLONDON ― Thirty years after the fairy-tale nuptials with the unhappy ending, Britain will finally have another big royal wedding: Its dashing helicopter-pilot prince ― second in line to the throne ― will marry the lovely commoner who may someday become queen.Prince William and Kate Middleton bubbled with joy on Tuesday evening in their fi rst public appearance since the palace announced their engagement aft er more than eight years of dating. Their wedding will be next spring or summer.In a poignant symbol for William, his betrothed wore the sapphire and diamond engagement ring that belonged to his late mother, Diana.“I thought it was quite nice because obviously she’s not going to be around to share any of the fun and excitement of it all. This was my way of keeping her close to it all,” Wil-liam said.While the romance of the two 28-year-olds is the stuff that dreams are made of, it is no exaggeration to say that the future of the Windsor dynasty depends to no small degree on the success of their union.“We’re massively excited,” William said in the televised interview that marked the first time they have spoken publicly about the trials and tribulations of their love affair, which dates back to their days as university fresh-men. “We’re hugely excited. We’re looking forward toSUZANNE PLUNKETT / REUTERSBritain’s Prince William and his ? ancee Kate Middleton pose for a photograph in St James’s Palace, central London.A pair of 4-week-old Sapsaree puppies are seen in Gyeongsan on Oct 29.HYUNGWON KANG / REUTERSspending the rest of our lives together.”The interview reminded many of a similar TV appear-ance by William’s parents, Prince Charles and Diana, shortly after they became engaged.At that time, Diana seemed frightened of the lim by contrast, Middleton seemed at ease in front of the cameras. She said she wished she had met Diana, who died in a car crash in 1997.“I would love to have met her. She’s an inspirational woman,” Middleton said as William looked on.The royal wedding repre-sents a chance for the Wind-sors to start anew. Middleton brings youth and glamour to a monarchy tarnished by divorce and scandal. Th ere is already warm public support for William.A strong, stable marriage ― one that lasts decades and produces heirs ― could go a long way toward undoing the damage from the ugly squab-bling and televised confes-sions of adultery that marred the fi nal years of Charles and Diana’s tortured marriage, which began on such a high note with their spectacular wedding in 1981.“Th is is their chance to reju-venate the dynasty,” said Patrick Jephson, former private secre-tary to Princess Diana. “Th is is an opportunity for a welcome national celebration.”News of the engagement was greeted with enthusiasm ― and relief ― in Britain. Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, said they were “absolutely delighted for them both”, Buckingham Palace said. Prince Charles said he was “thrilled”. Middleton’s par-ents, Carole and Michael, also gushed. “We all think he’s won-derful. We’re extremely fond of him,” Michael Middleton said, standing near the couple’s large house in the affl
uent Berkshire countryside.Sapsaree dogs bounce back from the brink of extinctionThe gentle Korean breed has long been valued for their loyaltyBy HYUNGWON KANGREUTERSGYEONGSAN, Republic of Korea ― Decades of colonialArid Israel recycles waste waterBy ARI RABINOVITCHREUTERSJERUSALEM ― Thirty years ago, Israeli farmers faced a daunting choice ― find a new water source or go under. Th eir solution was waste water recycling. Now climate change is presenting other nations with a similar choice.With increased interest worldwide, Israel is marketing its waste water reuse technolo-gies and has developed a bil-lion-dollar industry by shar-ing systems and expertise.Israel began confronting water scarcity when its main sources, the Sea of Galilee andtwo aquifers, became over-taxed and the population was growing. Th ere was simply not enough water for agriculture.“We had to adapt, and found what at the time was an unlikely solution,” said farmer Yaron Rot, who manages irrigation at Kibbutz Magen, an agricultural community in southern Israel.Th ey began irrigating their fi elds with recycled waste water from the drains of Tel Aviv.At the time it was not dis-cussed openly. Water treat-ment technology was not well-known and authorities feared the public would reject the idea of toilet water being used to grow food.“Today, nearly half our irrigation comes from recy-cled waste water,” Rot said, making clear it was no easy achievement.By the turn of the century, Israel was still the only coun-try to recycle waste water extensively. Global warming means its neighbors will increasingly need to do the same.Competition over shared water resources is a sensitive issue in Israel’s relations with the Palestinians and other Arab neighbors, tending to fuel more confl ict than coop-eration.occupation, war and povertytook a deadly toll not just on millions of Koreans but also one of the country’s traditional and beloved breeds of dogs.Sapsarees, shaggy-haired dogs long valued for their loy-alty, were killed in large num-bers by the Japanese military, which used their fur to make winter coats for its soldiers serving in the extreme cold of northeastern part of China, as documented in government records during the period of Japanese colonial rule ().When the Republic of Korea emerged from the turmoil of two wars and decades of poverty, the medium-sized Sapsaree, whose name means “the dogs that ward off evil spirits or misfortune” and which resembles a sheepdog, had all but disappeared.By the mid-1980s, only eight remained, says Ha Ji-hong,being gone forever was like a jolt to my thoughts and it woke me up to take on the challenge” of preserving the breed, he said.a United States-educated “My father told me, ‘Restor-geneticist.ing a dog breed is a project fi t But now the breed has for an English nobleman with made a remarkable comeback, unlimited capital. I don’t know thanks largely to Ha, a pro-how you’re going to take on fessor at ROK’s Kyungpook such a challenge with your National University, who college professor’s salary,’” Ha combined traditional breeding added.with advances in modern DNA Th is proved true. Ha ended technology.up selling all his family assets, “Restoring the Sapsaree including farmland that he breed with only eight dogs was inherited from his father.He had to use inbreeding not easy,” he said, citing fi nan-methods at first to build the cial and veterinary woes.Sapsarees, sometimes also population to around 50 to 100. spelled Sapsali or Sapsalyee, are Aft er fi ve years, the population one of three dog breeds native had increased to 500 dogs.He and his research team then to Korea, along with the Jindoand Poongsan. Th e fi rst known took DNA samples from every record of Sapsarees appears in dog, weeding out undesirable an ancient tomb mural from traits to stabilize the breed.Problems included canine the Three Kingdom periodparvovirus, especially lethal (AD 220-280).Ha’s father, a professor of to puppies, until good quality animal husbandry, had set up vaccines became available in a kennel to protect the few 1995.remaining purebred Sapsarees But help arrived in 1992, in the 1960s, with around 30 when the ROK government dogs. By the time the younger recognized the Sapsaree as a Ha returned in 1985 with national treasure and began a US PhD, only eight dogs providing funds for dog food remained.and vaccinations.“The thought of Sapsarees Today, Ha has 500 breedable-quality dogs and there are morethan 1,200 Sapsarees placed with families across the ROK.Th e breed’s loyalty is legend-ary.A 300-year-old stone memo-rial in southeastern ROK tells the story of an aristocrat who took a nap on a riverbank aft er too many drinks at a party.Embers from his pipe started a brush fire as he slept. His faithful Sapsaree jumped into the river and used its wet fur to douse the fi re and save its mas-ter at the cost of its own life.Th is loyalty, combined with the animal’s gentle and quiet temperament, have made Sap-saree dogs ideal as therapy ani-mals. Th ey have been used for this in hospitals since 1999.Lee Dong-hoon, a researcher who did his graduate disserta-tion on Sapsarees, said their personality and huggable size C they are 46 to 56 cm tall and weigh 16 to 26 kg ― make them favorites among hospital patients.“Children who are recovering from bullying by other children fi nd themselves opening up to Sapsarees,” he added.“I saw a patient who was whispering into one Sapsaree’s ears, ‘Only you understand how I feel.’”Beatles are ? nally available on iTunesBy JESSICA MINTZAND RYAN NAKASHIMAASSOCIATED PRESS50 years aft er the Beatles took television by storm, the Fab Four’s songs became available on iTunes on Tuesday, setting the stage for a possible new outbreak of Beatlemania ― this one online.After many a hard day’s night of negotiations, Apple announced a deal on Tuesday to immediately begin selling the Beatles’ music by the song or the album. Until now, the biggest-selling, most infl uen-tial group in rock history has been glaringly absent from iTunes and other legal online music services.“The Beatles are one of those groups that parents and young people can kind of come together on, no pun intended,” said Craig Marks, editor of Billboard magazine. “Th ere are kids and there are baby boom-ers and people in between who, for whatever reason, never did download those Beatles songs because they weren’t on iTunes, and now they’re going to have the opportunity to do so.”Within hours of their avail-ability Tuesday, eight Beatles recordings were at one point among the top 25 albums sold on iTunes, including a $149LOS ANGELES ― NearlyAPPLE VIA REUTERSThe Beatles are shown in this undated photo released on Tuesday.boxed set at No 13. Th e eight also included Abbey Road, Th e White Album and Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.Apple would not release fi rst-day sales fi gures or the number of Beatles albums or singles downloaded. The top albums list on iTunes is a fluid, real-time chart that changes several time the 25th album may sell only a few thousand copies in a week.It is unclear how big the Bea-tles could become on iTunes. After all, many Beatles fans already have copied the group’s CDs to their iPods.“It seems like too little, too late,” said Kerry Sullivan, 24, a senior at Saint Th omas Aqui-nas College in Sparkill, New York. “Everyone who wants the Beatles catalog probably already has it. If, you know, they really wanted the Beatles, they know somewhere else to get it already.”Forty years aft er the Beatles broke up, Apple is selling 13 remastered studio albums, the two-volume Past Masters set and the Red and Blue greatest-hits collections. People can buy individual songs for $1.29 apiece or download entire albums, at $12.99 for a single album and $19.99 for a double.Apple is also selling a special digital boxed set that includes all the albums and a download of the 41-minute movie of the Beatles’ fi rst United States concert, Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964.Apple struck the agreement after on-and-off negotiations with the Beatles’ recording label, EMI Group, and their management company, Apple Corps.Apple Corp had resisted sell-ing Beatles music on iTunes in part because of a long-running trademark dispute with Apple. Th e feud was resolved in 2007 when the companies agreed on joint use of the apple logo and name. Many people saw that as paving the way for an agreement for online access to Beatles songs.EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon would not say whether the Beatles had gotten a special deal from Apple, which usually keeps 30 percent and gives the rest to the label and the artists.Even without digital sales, the band was making money. Th e Beatles have sold 600 mil-lion albums worldwide since the 1960s, and last year’s remas-tered versions sold 18 million. Cirque du Soleil used Beatles music for the soundtrack to its Love Show. And Th e Beatles: Rock Band video game came out last year.UCHINA DAILY
NOVEMBER 18, 2010PDF Page Organizer - Foxit Softwareworld 23 Sleeping pilot causes air crashPakistan seeksEXCLUSIVE | RAO QAMAR SULEMANcloser militaryties with ChinaChinese experts: Possible upgrades ‘tiny’ compared with US-India dealsBy WANG HUAZHONG AND LI XIAOKUNCHINA DAILYIn May, an airplane plunged off
in India, claiming 158 livesBy NIRMALA GEORGEASSOCIATED PRESSof an Air India flight that crashed in May, killing 158 passengers, slept through more than half the fl ight and woke up disoriented when it was time to land the aircraft , an investigative panel con-cluded, according to mediaNEW DELHI ― The pilotreports on Wednesday.The Court of Inquiry appointed by the Indian government to probe the May 22 crash concluded that flight commander Zlatko Glusica was disoriented and his reactions were slow while bringing the aircraft
in for a landing at Mangalore airport, Hindustan Times newspaper reported.A government official, speaking on condition of ano-nymity because of the sensi-tivity of the matter, confi rmed that the newspaper report was accurate, but said the report would be made public only aft er it was presented to the Indian Parliament.Th e Air India Express fl ight from Dubai to Mangalore in southern India overshot a hilltop runway, crashed and plunged over a cliff, killing 158 people instantly.Eight people survived the crash.Th e panel examined infor-mation contained in the digi-tal fl ight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder of the aircraft , which were found at the crash site.Th e panel said that Glusica reacted late and did not follow many standard operating pro-cedures during the landing.Glusica was suff ering from “sleep inertia” after his nap and was “disoriented” when the plane began its descent at Mangalore airport.Th e data recorders caught the sound of heavy nasal snoring and breathing, Hin-dustan Times said.The co-pilot, H.S. Ahlu-walia, is heard repeatedly warning Glusica to abort the landing and try the procedure again.The last words captured by the recorders as the plane crashed were those of one of the pilots saying, “Oh my God”.Glusica, a British national and a native of Serbia, had more than 10,200 hours of fl ying experience.Both pilots died.ZHUHAI, Guangdong ― Pakistan is interested in buy-ing more defense systems and equipment from China, and hopes to deepen cooperation to upgrade its armed forces, a top Pakistan Air Force offi
cer said on Wednesday.But the envisaged coopera-tion, however, does not target any country, and is “tiny” in scale compared to huge defense deals signed by USPresident Barack Obama in Rao Qamar Suleman isIndia earlier this month, Chi-Pakistan Air Force Chief of AirStaff .nese experts said.Air Chief Marshal RaoQamar Suleman told China have about 25 aircraft
assem-Daily that Pakistan is evalu-bled by the end of the year.ating, among other options, “It’s on a very fast track, and three or four Chinese surface-there is no other fighter air-to-air missiles including the craft
anywhere in the world,’’ advanced “HQ-18”.which has been produced so Jane’s Defence News, a quickly, he said.publication that specializes China and Pakistan have in military topics, reported traditionally had close mili-that China was building the tary relations, and Suleman Hong Qi-18 (HQ-18) missile said bringing FC-1 Xiaolong system based upon the Rus-aircraft
to Zhuhai is to display sian S-300V1 type 2 (SA-12A “solidarity with China” and ‘‘Gladiator’’), presumably “to show to the world that we under a license agreement. But have a tremendous amount of this has not been confi rmed by respect and love for our Chi-the Chinese military. nese friends”.Th e missiles, with a maxi-Commenting on coopera-mum range of 100 km, can tion in military research and be used against short-range development, he said China ballistic missiles, aircraft or and Pakistan “will continue cruise missiles, with inter-working together”. cepts taking place between “There is no shortage of a low-level 25 meters and trust and no shortage of will. an altitude of 25 kilometers, There will be more projects according to Jane’s. developed successfully.”Suleman also said China Peng Guangqian, a Bei-had completed the first of jing-based military strategist, four Chinese ZDK-03 air-noted Beijing’s weapons deal borne warning and control with Islamabad had almost system (AWACS) aircraft
for no effect on the balance of the Pakistan Air Force on military power betweenPakistan and India, especially Nov 13.“The delivery to Pakistan given the multi-billion dollar will start in the early part of defense deals signed between next year,” said Suleman, who the United States and India is also chief of the air staff
of during Obama’s visit.The China-Pakistan deals
the Pakistan Air Force.He said the Pakistan Air should not be a cause of alarm Force was also looking at the
for other countries, he said option of purchasing Chinese
referring to foreign media engines, though any final reports that the FC-1 was a decision will depend on the concern for the Indian Air engines’ quality.Force.Suleman brought FC-1 Sun Shihai, director of the (Fighter China-1) Xiaolong Center for South Asian Stud-aircraft , an improved version ies under the Chinese Acad-of China’s new generation emy of Social Sciences, added fi ghter jet co-developed with that Obama also promised Pakistan, to the China Inter-India that the US would give national Aviation and Aero-it easier access to
high-tech space Exhibition in Zhuhai.equipment for both civilian Military research and devel-and military use.opment cooperation with Despite the huge gap China will continue not only between the Pakistani and in aircraft
production, but also Indian military forces, espe-“in other areas”, he said.cially in terms of conventional The Pakistan Air Force is weapons, the situation in the increasing production docks region is basically balanced for the FC-1 (named the JF-given the fact that both coun-17 Th under in Pakistan) from tries have nuclear weapons, four to six, and is aiming to he said.BULLETPROOF AGAINST TERRORPHOTO BY TOBIAS SCHWARZ / REUTERSGerman police patrol the entrance area to the main railway station Hauptbahnhof in Berlin on Wednesday. Ger-many has raised the level of security including at train stations and airports in response to concrete indications of terrorist attacks being planned at the end of this month, said German Interior Minister Th omas de Maiziere.DPRK seeks to build reactor by 2012SEOUL ― Th e Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) claims to be building an experimental light-water nuclear reactor for comple-tion by 2012, says a United States expert who visited the state this month.Jack Pritchard, president of the Korea Economic Institute, told journalists in Washing-ton on Tuesday that he had visited the Yongbyon nuclear complex where the DPRK claims the light-water reactor is being built.Siegfried Hecker, a US scientist who accompanied Pritchard, has also reported the claims.While the existing aging reactor at Yongbyon has supplied plutonium for the DPRK’s nuclear weapons, light-water reactors are gen-erally used for generating electricity.Experts say it is relatively diffi
cult to extract plutonium from them to make atomic weapons.Some Seoul analysts say the DPRK may be stressing its overall atomic expertise in hopes of prodding the United States into resuming stalled six-nation nuclear disarma-ment talks.Pritchard, quoted by the Republic of Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, said he saw “some small modifi cations to the fuel fabrication center (at Yongbyon) that they described as part of their new light water reactor program”.Pritchard, a former US spe-cial envoy on DPRK policy who visited the country on Nov 2-6, also met Kim Kye-gwan, the DPRK’s chief nuclear envoy, and other offi
cials.The reactor is apparently being built slightly in front of where the complex’s now-demolished cooling tower was located.Pritchard said the DPRK wants to complete construc-tion of the reactor that “will only provide enough electric-ity for the immediate area of Yongbyon ... by 2012”.Pyongyang’s offi
cial policy is to become a “great, powerful and prosperous nation” by that year, the 100th anniversary of the birth of founding president Kim Il-sung.He said the experimental reactor is one-tenth the size of two light-water reactors which were being built under a now-abandoned US-DPRK deal.Under that 1994 agreement several countries were to build those reactors to generate elec-tricity. In return, the DPRK was to shut down its pluto-nium-producing operation.The deal broke down in 2002. Th e light-water reactors were never completed and the DPRK restarted its original reactor.Th e DPRK quit the nuclear disarmament talks in April 2009 and staged a second nuclear test a month later. In recent months it has expressed conditional willingness to return to dialogue.US President Barack Obama warned last Th ursday in Seoul that the DPRK must show “seriousness of purpose” before the Six-Party Talks can resume.AGENCE FRANCE?PRESSETwo Qantas planes land during a number of incidentsFour ? ights turn back to airport since
A380 incident from in-? ight problemsBy ROHAN SULLIVANASSOCIATED PRESSSYDNEY ― A bird and a bolt of lighting were the lat-est problems to strike Qantas, the airline said on Wednes-day, causing the fourth flight turnaround since an engine blowout on one of its Airbus super-jumbos caused a global safety scare.The string of incidents onQantas’ older fleet of Boe-ing planes is unrelated to the A380 scare and were caused by various glitches and uncontrollable events that are not uncommon to any major carrier, the airline and a com-mercial aviation analyst said. But they were drawing extra attention following the super-jumbo blowout.In the latest incident, a Boeing 747 carrying 171 pas-sengers bound for Sydney turned back to Johannesburg aft er a bird slammed into one of the jumbo’s four engines shortly after takeoff late on Tuesday, Qantas spokesman Tom Woodward said. It landed safely, but suff ered damage to turbine blades in one engine that would take a day or two to repair, he said.Also on Tuesday, a Qantas Boeing 717 sustained minor damage to its fuselage when it was struck by lightning during a domestic fl ight between the Outback cities of Alice Springs and Darwin. The plane did not have to turn back because of the strike, and continued safely to its des-tination of Darwin, Woodward said.Four Qantas flights have turned back to port since the A380 incident because of vari-ous defects and problems. Th e airline says none of them were as serious as the super-jumbo problem, and the turnarounds were in line with Qantas’ rou-tine safety procedures.The day after the A380 problem, a Qantas Boeing 747 bound for Sydney turned around and landed safely in Singapore after an engine caught fire minutes after takeoff . Last Friday, a Boeing 767 turned back on a domestic fl ight in Australia aft er pilots detected abnormal vibrations in an engine.On Monday, the fl ight crew aboard a Qantas Boeing 747 bound for Argentina donned oxygen masks and returned to Sydney aft er an electrical fault sent smoke into the cockpit.Peter Harbison, the head of the respected consultancy the Center for Asia Pacific Aviation, said the various problems Qantas fl ights have experienced since the A380incident are the kind of things that all airlines experience from time to time.“None of them is uncom-mon in its own right, though it is relatively uncommon to have such a string of them so quickly, with no common cause,” he said. “It’s just one of those times ― when you’re unlucky, you’re unlucky.”Extra attention has focused on Qantas ― which has a reputation as one of the world’s safest airlines ― since the Nov 4 A380 incident, when one of the plane’s four Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines disintegrated in fl ight and sent shrapnel rip-ping through the wing before it returned to Singapore and landed safely.Aviation officials have identified an oil leak near a turbine as the fl aw that caused a fi re and the engine failure, and Qantas’ six A380 ― the world’s largest passenger plane ― remain grounded while the airline carries out checks and repairs. The other carriers using Trent 900s on their A380s, Singapore Airlines and Luft hansa, have returned their planes to service.|PDF Page Organizer - Foxit SoftwareSarkozy lays out his new agendaA conservative leader is shy over future after a cabinet changeBy CHARLES ONIANSAGENCE FRANCE?PRESSECATHAL MCNAUGHTON / REUTERSHomeless people beg for money on O’Connell bridge in central Dublin on Tuesday. Ireland came under intense pressure to request aid over its debt crunch in what the European Council’s president called a “survival crisis” for the eurozone and the wider European Union.A beleaguered Ireland gets EU support, but no bailoutEuropeans are bracing as the latest ? nancial crisis faces EUBy GABRIELE STEINHAUSERASSOCIATED PRESSBRUSSELS ― Irish and EU offi
cials vowed to stabilize the banks at the center of Ireland’s financial crisis and keep it from spreading to other fragile euro-linked economies as an anxiously awaited meeting of European finance ministers ended without an agreement to bail out the debt-stricken Dublin government.Ireland has taken over three banks and is expected to take over more in a bailout that has already reached 45 billion euro ($61 billion) and likely willpush the nation’s 2010 defi cit to a staggering 32 percent of GDP. The government in Dublin insists that it doesn’t need a bailout from Europe, but growing doubts about Ireland’s ability to pay its bills have sent interest rates soaring on Irish bonds.It remained to be seen whether Tuesday’s develop-ments would help calm bond market turmoil when trading resumes on Wednesday.Stock markets in Asia retreated, extending the global sell-off triggered by Europe’s simmering debt crisis and expectations China will raise interest rates to tame inflation. The euro, meanwhile, rose about 0.1 percent to $1.3495 after a big tumble on Tuesday that it would work with Irish and European officials to find “the best way to provide any necessary support to address market risks.’’Concerns that Ireland will be unable to pay the cost of rescu-ing its banks ― which ran into trouble when the country’s real estate boom collapsed ― haveworsened Europe’s govern-Market conditions ment debt crisis. Markets have have not normalized pushed up borrowing costs foryet and pressure other vulnerable nations andthreatened to destabilize the remains ... we will take common euro currency.action as the euro-The priority for European group ... to safeguard leaders is containing conta-gion ― a market panic that the stability of the jumps from one weak country euro if that is needed.”to the next.JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKERThe Irish government HEAD OF THE GROUP OF 16 NATIONS protests it doesn’t need aid, THAT USE THE EUROat least not yet, because it has suffi
cient funds through mid-2011 and is planning 6 billion Ireland is making “signifi cant euro ($8 billion) in 2011 cuts eff orts’’ to deal with its budget and tax hikes. However, it has defi cit, said Jean-Claude Junck-suggested that direct EU aid to er, who heads the group of 16 its cash-strapped banks would nations that use the euro.boost Ireland’s creditworthi-“However market condi-ness, since the government has tions have not normalized yet guaranteed the banks’ fi nancial and pressure remains,’’ Juncker obligations.said, adding that “we will take‘‘action as the eurogroup ... tosafeguard the stability of the euro if that is needed.’’An Irish bailout would mean humiliation for the government ahead of possible national elections early next year. Ireland would lose some control over its finances in return for loans, which could mean being forced to give up the country’s rock-bottom corporate tax rate ― a key attraction to businesses that annoys other EU countries that have much higher rates.Th e low tax rate helped Ire-land become one of Europe’s fastest growing economies over the past decade, trans-forming it from a resident of Europe’s poorhouse into a “Celtic tiger”.But when the boom col-lapsed in amid the financial crisis of 2008, Dublin was forced to rescue its banks, which had grown massively in recent years.Poor oversight by BP led to Gulf spillBy AYESHA RASCOEREUTERSWASHINGTON ― Lacking standards to weigh costs against safety, BP and its partners made critical errors leading to the largest off shore oil spill in US history, according to a scien-tifi c panel report obtained by Reuters on Tuesday.Interim findings from the National Academy of Engi-neering and the National Research Council attribute the massive spill to workers’ decisions to move ahead with temporary abandonment of BP’s doomed Macondo well despite warning signs from a key test of well integrity.“Th e various failures men-tioned in this report indicate the lack of a suitable approach for anticipating and managing the inherent risks, uncertainties ... associated with deepwater drilling,” the report said.Government regulators also failed to provide adequate over-sight for deepwater drilling, according to the report.Ultimately, the report said there were not enough checks on decisions involving aban-doning the well and there wasDAVE MARTIN / ASSOCIATED PRESSA Worker grabs a handfull of clean sand at a deep cleaning operation in Orange Beach, Alabama, on Nov 9. BP continues to clean parts of the Gulf of Mexico.no standard to weigh the trade off s between costs and safety for the project.“Many of the pivotal choices made for the drilling operation and temporary abandonment of the well were likely to result in less cost and less time rela-tive to other options,” the report said.An April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig killed 11 workers and ruptured the undersea Macondo well, unleashing millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico over the summer.A BP worker was responsible for overseeing costs and sched-ules for the well, as well as issues relating to safety and well integ-rity, the report said.Despite testimony that “safe-ty was never compromised”, the report said that drilling risks were not fully recognized. Th e panel said it will consider whether a separate system of oversight is necessary to ensure concerns about cost do not compromise safety.A BP spokesman said in a statement the company “will reserve further comment until the committee’s interim report has been released publicly and we have had the opportunity to review it”.The report is scheduledto be officially released on Wednesday.It follows fi ndings released by the White House oil spill commission last week that said workers at the companies did not cut corners on safety to save money.Th e scientifi c panel’s report is critical of BP’s choice to use a long-string well design in a deep high-pressure well. It also questions the decision not to run a bond log to assess the stability of cement in the well.The companies involved with drilling the Macondo well have all traded blame over responsibility for the rig accident.Transcocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig, and Halliburton, which did cementing on Macondo, have both charged that BP’s well design was a major factor in the explosion.BP has denied these claims, instead faulting Halliburton for a fl awed cementing job on the well. BP and Transocean also disagree on who was in charge of interpreting the pivotal negative pressure test, which indicated severe problems with the well.PARIS ― French President Nicolas Sarkozy set out his conservative agenda in a prime-time television interview late on Tuesday following his cabinet reshuffl
e, but did not say if he would run for a second term.Th e interview, broadcast on three French channels, set out Sarkozy’s political roadmap aft er he named his new govern-ment, reappointing Francois Fillon as prime minister.Speaking in the lavish sur-roundings of his Elysee Palace office, Sarkozy said he chose Fillon because he was the best man for the job.“When I asked Francois Fil-lon to continue, it’s because I have great trust in him, because he’s very competent, because we’ve worked together for years without a cloud,” Sarkozy told the three journalists interview-ing him.“A certain amount of stability helps to soothe a country that is in need.”Sunday’s reshuffle resulted in a leaner, more conservative government, with several cen-ter-right and left -wing minis-ters fired to produce a team more likely to fall in behind Sarkozy’s defi cit-cutting auster-ity agenda.The new cabinet has been criticized as a campaign team ahead of the early 2012 presi-dential election.But Sarkozy said: “I remain convinced that we must be open, this is not a partisan government, this is a tightened government.”He would only announce whether or not he would stand for re-election in late 2011, he added.The reshuffle came soon after mass street protests against Sarkozy’s extension of the minimum retirement age from 60 to 62, the key plank of his presidency aimed at reduc-ing France’s debt.It also followed hard on Sarkozy’s return from the G20 summit in Seoul, where he took over the group’s leadership, and the president repeated his call for global fi nancial reform.Th e wide-ranging television interview was Sarkozy’s first since July when his govern-ment was embroiled in a multi-layered scandal involving then Labor Minister Eric Woerth and L’Oreal billionaire heiress Liliane Bettencourt.Woerth was not named to the new government.Sarkozy paid tribute to Woerth’s role as labor minister in pushing through the pension reforms. But they had agreed that Woerth would be better able to clear his name free of his ministerial responsibilities, he added.Sarkozy acknowledged that his policies on “national iden-tity” ― denounced on the left
― had been misunderstood, but he insisted that foreigners had to respect French values.And he stood by the recently-passed law banning the wearing of full-face veils, or burkas, in public.“We don’t want women shut up behind a prison, even if it is one of cloth,” he said.包含总结汇报、出国留学、高中教育、教学研究、经管营销、行业论文、外语学习、表格模板、农林牧渔、自然科学、求职职场、医药卫生以及chinadaily101118等内容。本文共8页
相关内容搜索}

我要回帖

更多关于 guangxi 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信