跪求全新版新核心大学英语2unit5综合教程一Unit 2 TextB the richist man in ame

UNIT 6 Women Half the Sky Part I Pre-Reading Task Listen to the recording two or three times and then think over the following questions: 1. Why can't women be ignored? 2. What price have women had to pay for their wisdom? 3. What happens to them if you try to break their will? 4. Have women realized their dreams? The following words in the recording may be new to you: gonna = (infml) going to invincible a. 战无不胜的 conviction n. 信念 embryo n. 胚胎;萌芽期 Part II Text A How do some women manage to combine a full-time job with family responsibilities and still find time for doing other things? Adrienne Popper longs to be like them, but wonders whether it is an impossible dream. I'M GOING TO BUY THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE Not long ago I received an alumni bulletin from my college. It included a brief item about a former classmate: "Kate L. teaches part-time at the University of Oklahoma and is assistant principal at County High School. In her spare time she is finishing her doctoral dissertation and the final drafts of two books, and she still has time for tennis and horse riding with her daughters." Four words in that description undid me: in her spare time. A friend said that if I believed everything in the report, she had a bridge in Brooklyn she'd like to sell me.
My friend's joke hit home. What an idiot I'd been! I resolved to stop thinking about Kate's incredible accomplishments and to be suitably skeptical of such stories in the future. But like a dieter who devours a whole box of cookies in a moment of weakness, I found my resolve slipping occasionally. In weak moments I'd comb the pages of newspapers and magazines and consume success stories by the pound. My favorite superwomen included a politician's daughter who cared for her two-year-old and a newborn while finishing law school an a practicing pediatrician with te and a television anchorwoman, mother of two preschoolers, who was studying for a master's degree. One day, however, I actually met a superwoman face to face. Just before Christmas last year, my work took me to the office of a woman executive of a national corporation. Like her supersisters, she has a husband, two small children and, according to reports, a spotless apartment. Her life runs as precisely as a Swiss watch. Since my own schedule rarely succeeds, her accomplishments fill me with equal amounts of wonder and guilt.
On a shelf behind her desk that day were at least a hundred jars of strawberry jam, gaily tied with red-checked ribbons. The executive and her children had made the jam and decorated the jars, which she planned to distribute to her staff and visiting clients. When, I wondered aloud, had she found the time to complete such an impressive holiday project? I should have known better than to ask. The answer had a familiar ring: in her spare time. On the train ride home I sat with a jar of strawberry jam in my lap. It reproached me the entire trip. Other women, it seemed to say, are movers and shakers — not only during office hours, but in their spare time as well. What, it asked, do you accomplish in your spare time? I would like to report that I am using my extra moments to complete postdoctoral studies in physics, to develop new theories of tonal harmony for piano and horn, and to bake cakes and play baseball with my sons. The truth of the matter is, however, that I am by nature completely unable to get my act together. No matter how carefully I plan my time, the plan always goes wrong.
If I create schedules of military precision in which several afternoon hours are given over to the writing of the Great American Novel, the school nurse is sure to phone at exactly the moment I put pencil to paper. One of my children will have developed a strange illness that requires him to spend the remainder of the day in bed, calling me at frequent intervals to bring soup, juice, and tea. Other days, every item on my schedule will take three times the number of minutes set aside. The cleaner will misplace my clothes. My order won't be ready at the butcher shop as promised. The woman ahead of me in the supermarket line will pay for her groceries with a check drawn on a Martian bank, and only the manager (who has just left for lunch) can OK the matter. "They also serve who only stand and wait," wrote the poet John Milton, but he forgot to add that they don't get to be superwomen that way. Racing the clock every day is such an exhausting effort that when I actually have a few free moments, I tend to collapse. Mostly I sink into a chair and stare into space while I imagine how lovely life would be if only I possessed the organizational skills and the energy of my superheroines. In fact, I waste a good deal of my spare time just worrying about what other women are accomplishing in theirs. Sometimes I think that these modern fairy tales create as many problems for women as the old stories that had us biding our time for the day our prince would come.
Yet superwomen tales continue to charm me. Despite my friend's warning against being taken in, despite everything I've learned, I find that I'm not only willing, but positively eager to buy that bridge she mentioned. Why? I suppose it has something to do with the appeal of an optimistic approach to life — and the fact that extraordinary deeds have been accomplished by determined individuals who refused to believe that "you can't" was the final word on their dreams. Men have generally been assured that achieving their heart's desires would be a piece of cake. Women, of course, have always believed that we can't have our cake and eat it too — the old low-dream diet. Perhaps becoming a superwoman is an impossible dream for me, but life without that kind of fantasy is as unappealing as a diet with no treats. I know the idea of admiring a heroine is co we working women are too sophisticated for that. Yet the superwomen I read about are my heroines. When my faith in myself falters, it is they who urge me on, whispering, "Go for it, lady!"
One of these days I plan to phone my former classmate Kate and shout "Well done!" into the receiver. I hope she won't be modest about her achievements. Perhaps she will have completed her dissertation and her two books and moved on to some new work that's exciting or dangerous or both. I'd like to hear all about it. After that I'm going to phone the friend who laughed at me for believing all the stories I hear. Then I'll tell her a story: the tale of a woman who bought her own version of that bridge in Brooklyn and found that it was a wise investment after all. (1097 words) New Words and Expressions alumnus (pl alumni) n. (esp. AmE) a (male) former student of a school, college or university (男)校友 bulletin▲ n. 简报,通讯;会刊;公告 item n. a
a single article or unit on a list or among a set 一则(消息);一条,一项,一件 doctoral a. 博士的 dissertation n. (博士)学位论文,专题论文 draft n. a rough outline or version草稿
undo (undid, undone) vt. dist untie, open 使烦恼,使不安;松开,解开 hit/strike home (of remarks ,etc.) have the intended effect (言语等)击中要害 idiot▲ n. (colloq) a fool incredible a. that cannot be believed 难以置信的 skeptical▲ a. (in the habit of) doubting that sth. is true, right, etc. 持怀疑态度的,怀疑的 dieter n. a person who eats less food or only certain kinds of food 节食者;忌食某些食物的人 devour vt. eat (sth.) quickly and in large quantities 狼吞虎咽地吃 cookie n. (AmE) biscuit 饼干 occasionally ad. happening sometimes but not very often 偶尔地,间或 occasional a. consume v. use up 吃;喝;耗尽;消费 superwoman n. a woman having more than ordinary human powers and abilities 具有非凡才能的女性,女强人 politician n. 政治家;政客 care for
like or love 照料;喜欢,喜爱 pediatrician
n. 儿科医生 anchorwoman (pl anchorwomen) n. (广播、电视节目的)女主持人 anchor n. 锚 corporation n. 公司 spotless a. absolutely clean 十分清洁的 Swiss a., n. 瑞士的,瑞士人(的) rarely ad. not happening often 很少,难得 guilt n. the feelings produced by belief tha the fact of having broken the law 内疚;有罪 guilty a. 感到内疚的,感到惭愧的;有罪的 strawberry n. 草莓 gaily a. in a cheerful manner 鲜艳地;快乐地 red-checked a. 有红格子图案的 ribbon n. 丝带,缎带,装饰带 decorate vt. add (sth.) in order to make a thing more attractive to look at 装饰 client n. a person who buys goods or service 顾客,客户 lap n. (人坐着时)大腿的上方,膝上;(旅程的)一段 v. (波浪)拍打 reproach▲ vt. criticize (sb.) for failing to do sth. 责备 movers and shakers people who have power and a lot of influence 有权有势的人们
theory n. 理论 tonal a. 音调的,声调的 harmony n. 和谐;协调;一致 baseball n. 棒球 by nature 生性 get one's act together (infml) organize oneself and one's activities so that one does things in an effective way 将自己的各事安排得有条不紊 military a. 军事的,军队的 novel n. 小说 put pencil/pen to paper start to write 开始动笔写 remainder▲ n. the remaining time, people or things 剩下的时间(人或物) at intervals 每隔…时间(或距离);不时 aside ad. on or to one side 在一边;向一边 set aside put (time or money) away for a special purpose 留出 supermarket n. 超级市场 Martian a., n. (supposed inhabitant) of the planet Mars 火星的;(假想的)火星人 race the clock d[1]&&&
相关文章热门文章
& & & & & & & & &
热门大学英语教程
最新大学英语教程全新版大学英语综合教程2unit3textBthe generation gap: U R 2 old课文翻译_百度知道
全新版大学英语综合教程2unit3textBthe generation gap: U R 2 old课文翻译
不是加布的行为不当。“”看到了,而不是为了他自己喜欢这场棒球赛,勉强问了一句,接着是一个苹果,我儿子加布里埃尔4岁,归根到底,就在查尔斯河对岸。我也感到兴致勃勃,“我说,不过一直到现在他还郑重其事地把它叫做”静默博物馆“。他也很明白我不高兴。吃完了胡萝卜。他郑重其事地接受了我的建议先去厕所方便。当我们穿过体育场下的通道时,仍然没有好气。随后他说,雨点般地连打19拳,最后扬基队以,我瞥见波士顿科学博物馆,创下了波士顿当天的最高纪录--但没有下雨。”或是;我能看到他脸上不安的神情,而我,他的荣耀能通过儿子继续下去:“我想棒球已经看够了。加布在前往波士顿的90分钟的车程里一直在睡觉。”爸爸,而是这种期待不近情理,裁判叫停?“”不想看,让他骑在我的肩上。我俩提前了半小时入场。当我和父亲走进阳光下的体育场时。”可比赛还没开始呢,看球时他就会有精神了,总算明智,在斯托罗街上,并放弃了自己不切实际的幻想,两个人共同挽救了这一天--他坚持不放弃自己所喜欢的事物、缺乏临场经验的职业拳击手马维斯·弗雷泽在第一回合比赛打到2分57秒时被重量级世界冠军拉里·霍姆斯击倒,坐了下来看差不多就要结束的击球练习。我讨厌那副神情,年仅23岁,你想不想去博物馆。我俩进场时,有人批评他对儿子的实力估计过高。加布说他饿了,是两种意志的对峙?“我不很情愿地给他买了个冰淇淋,这样在球赛当中我们就不必离开座位了:我找到一个合法的免费泊车位。我爱你。”尽管事实清楚表明并非如此,尝试宇航舱。我父亲带我去扬基体育场看棒球的时候,我便对他生气了,马维斯·弗雷泽的父亲兼经纪人,一个4岁的孩子可以去看全美职业棒球赛了,我们从不同的角度观看与实物一样大小的霸王龙。加布以前去过,那绿茵茵的巨大外场令我惊喜万分,就是奥克兰队的前身,”你一点比赛还没看到呢。现在我想回家,乔·弗雷泽回答说,弗雷泽防卫时右侧暴露。当时、前重量级冠军乔·弗雷泽搂抱着儿子一遍遍地说。他赢了。加布没说话,放弃了呆下去的念头,他第一次见到赛场时,当他辜负了我的期望的时候。儿子和父亲。当我俩穿过一个个凉爽舒适的展厅时。“我想怎么着都得呆下去,我们能看清场上的每一个部位。可我没法摆脱自己恶劣的心境。你不想看正式比赛吗。我俩找到了座位.我压着一肚子火,观看各种各样想象得出的展品。在15分钟之内,他才3岁,我想吃冰淇淋,那他的一天就会因为爸爸想看球赛而过得十分扫兴。霍姆斯出左拳佯攻。随后,必须改变的是这种期待。我给了他一根胡萝卜条。霍姆斯重拳出击。我俩上了车。没事儿?“”想。我给了他一些葡萄,加布显得兴致勃勃、炎热的日子--事实上那一天非常炎热。我想回家了,就在红袜队上场击球时走出了体育场。事实上。后来我还想起了另一件事:“我知道自己在做什么。他坚持了自己认为是正确的做法,三个小时转眼就过去了。最后,扬基队球员乔·柯林斯击出一个本垒打。位置不错。”当时我想,而且很喜欢那个地方,我开车退出那个宝贵的车位:“我能比迈克跑得快。他应该为了我。我情绪糟透了。此刻,我心中不由充满了喜悦与期待。博物馆里几乎就我们俩,但乔·弗雷泽还是坚信马维斯能继承他的衣钵成为冠军,在第一回合只剩三秒钟时。年7月。我还反思了我俩刚才的对峙,自己是多么希望加布能像我一样。我俩在博物馆里浏览。因为我4岁了:2获胜。至少这一次是这样的。因此。对手是历史悠久的费城竞技队。那是个晴朗,当我和加布走到阳光下:“没事儿。还有一个好征兆,他问我袋子里还有什么好吃的。我一点都不想开车回新罕布什尔去,他的许多行为是以年龄来界定的。我装了一大袋果蔬:“4岁的孩子会自己穿衣服,我心里不得不承认,“他说,但他一定也感受到了那份激动,我想起了1952年在扬基体育场自己第一次看球赛的情景?但我还是比较明智,我是6岁,他把袋子里的大多数食品都一扫而光。”后来,我很明白如果我坚持呆着不走,恐惧中夹杂着痛苦,造波浪。难道我和儿子的这一天就这么毁了不成,在右外场侧面。这种通常比硬把儿子推上拳坛要微妙得多的对不朽的追求是一件让人苦恼的事,弗雷泽挺着没有倒下,气温达到97度,这在波士顿是极为罕见的。“”那只是击球练习:球场上所发生的一切,最终认识到他是对的,并且已经有了强烈的年龄意识。一位名叫维克·拉希的投球手投出了一个又一个好球,这是个好征兆。于是,行吗,7月16日星期六:”加布父亲未必英明安德鲁·默顿年11月25日,不是4岁。这常常不过是在期待孩子亦步亦趋地重复自己的童年,我已经看到了,他开心地啃着,我开车带他去波士顿看红袜队与奥克兰A队的比赛
其他类似问题
按默认排序
其他1条回答
孩子们日益依赖于个人科技设备,如手机来定义自己、跟踪技术和消费的研究。的确,加快——这种趋势。”传简讯是介于打电话和发和电子邮件,成人和青少年用户-相似——找到了一种隐私和轻松的交流不为人所知的亚历山大。”凯蒂。跳到下一个段落Sylwia扩大这一形象为《纽约时报》的Kapuscinski布兰顿Gallick与他的母亲,父母的能力,建立从他们的家庭的社交圈。”但是就像所有的文化转变涉及父母和孩子——诞生的摇滚乐或性革命的20世纪60年代,这些天,谁是离婚,爸爸。”凯蒂和她的朋友们坐在后座彼此交谈,告诉她,但是我得到了典型的青少年喉咙叹了口气,玛丽。”可是,”她回答道,从53% 2005年、社交机器与小型电影银幕,她说Raritan短信使他们易于保持联系,麻萨诸塞,我可以坐着看电视与发送文本,例如-各种gulfs浮现。到2010年,而在2005年。”商人和手机制造商都只会高高兴兴地填满的代沟。格雷厄姆。汽车最终来来回回地在这个时代,我记不太清楚什么,他们的out-of-touch几十年前父母无法信任现在有时候发现他们要抚养孩子——感谢互联网和手机-考虑妈妈和爸爸是无能,“女士Turkle说。婴儿潮时期出生的人警告说,”他解释说当考虑停室,青少年可以约会远离警惕的陪伴,他的公司生产的汉普顿先生,“回想起来,演员主演的评论,这是相同的事物,其中两个快速拨号按键的形象。社会心理学家像雪莉Turkle教授在美国麻省理工学院学习的社会影响移动通信,爸爸,好像在说,81%的美国人从5到24日将自己的手机。和大学生来说要抓紧时间,根据公司IDC明翰研究?布蓝顿打棒球校队的大一新生万德毕尔特大学可以通过文本父母双方都方便的时候他们,在新泽西。相反。某先生汉普顿。这是一种普遍的场景。即使他们生活在不同的时区,直到他驾驶他的14岁的女儿凯蒂和两个朋友去玩去年在洛杉矶。“我不想让你听我在说什么,预计将增长到290亿美元在2010年的210亿美元,他看见了他的女儿在她发送短信的手机,她的眼睛看着我凯蒂滚来滚去。“你必须去邮局,我想那是奥兰多布鲁,达到他们的孩子无论他们身提供家庭还是利多于弊,一个母亲和一个父亲,由于手机——连同机动性和亲密感可以借机进一步开发。像电话变成了无处不在的一个世纪,《加勒比海盗》的电影,也给了即使是很小的孩子分开的虚拟生活的独特的父母和兄弟姐妹,“先生,后座喋喋不休的停了下来。现在他甚至不会考虑写一封信给他的母亲。贝尔和他的女儿们,”他说,我们发对方,一个harrumph。AT&T公司推销无线通讯服务的电视广告嘲讽一位母亲不懂她女儿的手机语言,你不该发。”汉普顿回忆起你的朋友也在那里。创新,一表现出来的汽车,你是如此的那事儿”“在那之后。看是不礼貌的,“我犯了一些关于他的事情。去年秋天;它有一组小键盘。“没有人可以创造出一个新的科技真的了解其如何使用或它如何能改变社会,当然,于“太耗时间了,为孩子们已成为一identity-shaping和psyche-changing目标。”历经磨难,‘哦,一直鼓励广泛的社会变化,说很容易达到凯蒂,让他们去办事或只是说你好。商业分析师与其他研究者认为,在全国推行,像班,they汉普顿把注意力转回到高速公路。当某先生汉普顿从他的后视镜。和计算机。到目前为止、厨房和卧室。”凯蒂滚她的眼睛了。”。或者他所料,IDC称劳务和产品卖给年轻消费者或家长,随着互联网,“萤火虫行动通讯”为学龄前儿童推出,说这些趋势可能还会随著手机演变成迷你手提电脑,关于一些电影明星作为总裁的沃尔特·迪斯尼公司的儿童图书杂志出版单位,拉塞尔·汉普顿知道关于青少年的一件或两件事,太,改变他们的方式与父母沟通思想
gap的相关知识
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁全新版大学英语第二版听说教程2(unit1~7)答案[1]_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
喜欢此文档的还喜欢
全新版大学英语第二版听说教程2(unit1~7)答案[1]
好​好​看​看
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用
想免费下载本文?
把文档贴到Blog、BBS或个人站等:
普通尺寸(450*500pix)
较大尺寸(630*500pix)
你可能喜欢全新版大学英语综合教程3 unit6 textB_中华文本库
第1页/共4页
文本预览:
Thank you,Ma'm
Thank you,Ma'm
Lecture Outlines: :
Text background Word Structure Sentences
Thank you,Ma'm
Hughes was born in Missouri QiaoPuLin city in1, February 1902. From "harlem Renaissance" era began writing, he had a "new Negro movement" the effects of the early writing with a nationalist and aesthetic tendency. The early 1930 s, the American economic depression and the world-famous framed up black case "test, Bob's famous LuoAn" raised his consciousness.
日,休斯生于密苏里州的乔普林市 休斯生于密苏里州的乔普林市。从“哈莱姆文艺复兴 ”时代开始创作,他受过“新黑人运动 新黑人运动”的影响,早期创作带有民族 主义和唯美主义倾向。20世纪30年代初的美国经济大萧条和举世闻名 年代初的美国经济大萧条和举世闻名 的诬害黑人案件“斯考茨勃罗案” ”提高了他的觉悟。
Thank you,Ma'm
He have been to the Soviet union and China, has been the reporter to participate in the Spanish civil war.Through the close to workers' movement, his position gradually turned to the revolution side. After The second world war, he turned to the creation of the reality, and wrote out a sing praise to workers' movement, against racial discrimination works. 他曾到过苏联和中国,曾以记者身份参加西班牙内战 曾以记者身份参加西班牙内战, 通过接近工人运动,他的立场逐渐转向革命一边 他的立场逐渐转向革命一边。二战, 他的创作转向现实,写出了歌颂工人运动 写出了歌颂工人运动、反对种族歧视 的作品
Thank you,Ma'm
On the general tendency for, hughes life activities is the literature with him of age in American Negro movement closely linked, with the black fate is closely linked. Hughes' creation true and profound reflect the black American social life and poured out their suffering and poignant, joy and hope, as well as to the pursuit of freedom, democracy and desire.
从总的倾向来说,休斯一生的文学活动都是同他所处的时代的美国黑人运 休斯一生的文学活动都是同他所处的时代的美国黑人运 动紧密相连,同广大黑人的命运息息相关 同广大黑人的命运息息相关。休斯的创作真实而深刻地 反映了美国黑人的社会生活,倾诉了他们的苦难与辛酸 倾诉了他们的苦难与辛酸、欢乐与希 望,以及对自由、民主的追求与渴望。
Thank you,Ma'm
In this article, the author of the ground floor of Negro life is lived depict, while he is also given to the good characters and sympathy. His works are spoken English and idioms, is the representation of the real life. This paper reveals the truth of the world, the figure description of lifelike, for "small" and "great".
在这篇文章中,作者对美国底层黑人生活的刻画可谓入木三分 作者对美国底层黑人生活的刻画可谓入木三
第1页/共4页
寻找更多 ""豆丁精品文档: 全新大学英语第二版 全新版大学英语单词 新编大学英语第二版 大学..
扫扫二维码,随身浏览文档
手机或平板扫扫即可继续访问
全新版大学英语综合教程第二版1单词UNIT2
举报该文档为侵权文档。
举报该文档含有违规或不良信息。
反馈该文档无法正常浏览。
举报该文档为重复文档。
推荐理由:
将文档分享至:
分享完整地址
文档地址:
粘贴到BBS或博客
flash地址:
支持嵌入FLASH地址的网站使用
html代码:
&embed src='/DocinViewer-4.swf' width='100%' height='600' type=application/x-shockwave-flash ALLOWFULLSCREEN='true' ALLOWSCRIPTACCESS='always'&&/embed&
450px*300px480px*400px650px*490px
支持嵌入HTML代码的网站使用
您的内容已经提交成功
您所提交的内容需要审核后才能发布,请您等待!
3秒自动关闭窗口}

我要回帖

更多关于 新视界大学英语4unit1 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信