Wthe sitting roomand talking in the living room?这句话里有一处

当前位置:
>>>A friend of mine was sitting in the living room one day when..
&A friend of mine was sitting in the living room one day when his cat dragged in a little “gift” in its mouth—a dead animal of some sort. Taking a closer look, he was surprised to& 36&it as the bunny(小兔子) that& 37&Mary, the young daughter of the family next door. My friend felt& 38&, believing his cat had killed Mary’s bunny.My quick-thinking friend came up with a plan.& 39&&from the cat’s mouth the dead animal, which by now was a&&&& 40&mess, he put it in the kitchen sink. With a little warm water and some shampoo, he tried to& 41&the dead bunny as best he could. Then he took a hair dryer and blowdried the bunny& 42&it looked pretty good.Finally, under the cover of darkness, he crept into the next-door garden and placed it& 43&in the cage. He managed to make the bunny look very &44&there in his little box.The next morning, my friend looked out of the window and noticed a crowd of people& 45&around the rabbit hutch(笼). Everyone seemed to be talking and pointing. My friend& 46&to go over and act like any normal& 47&neighbor and find out what was going on.When he got there, Mary’s mother said to my friend, “You won’t believe this! It’s a(n) &&48&thing! Mary’s bunny& 49&a few days ago, and we buried that little bunny right over there…”Have you ever tried to cover up one wrongdoing with another? Covering up only makes matters& 50&.When we get caught doing something& 51&, for example, we may& 52&to cover it up with a lie. But just like Mary’s bunny, the result is& 53&what we expected. We& 54&looking foolish. We would have been better off admitting we were wrong and accepting the& 55&. What do you think of it?小题1:A.treatB.catchC.appreciateD.recognize小题2:A.looked forB.got alongC.belonged toD.resulted from小题3:A.pleasedB.terribleC.confusedD.excited小题4:A.LookingB.RemovingC.PreventingD.Hearing小题5:A.dirtyB.lovely C.giftedD.strange小题6:A.dress upB.bring upC.clean upD.make up小题7:A.whenever B.thoughC.beforeD.until小题8:A.carefullyB.strangelyC.especiallyD.wonderfully小题9:A.seriousB.accurateC.balanced D.natural小题10:A.cheeredB.gatheredC.ranD.looked小题11:A.wishedB.decidedC.hesitatedD.meant小题12:A.anxiousB.discouragedC.wiseD.curious小题13:A.strangeB.difficultC.committedD.annoying小题14:A.passed awayB.ran awayC.set outD.went up小题15:A.moreB.worseC.betterD.faster小题16:A.excitingB.perfectC.strangeD.wrong小题17:A.refuseB.attemptC.promiseD.pretend小题18:A.oftenB.justC.alwaysD.never小题19:A.get downB.end upC.go throughD.set out小题20:A.consequencesB.opportunitiesC.expectationsD.choices
题型:完形填空难度:偏易来源:不详
小题1:D小题1:C小题1:B小题1:B小题1:A小题1:C小题1:D小题1:A小题1:D小题1:B小题1:B小题1:D小题1:A小题1:A小题1:B小题1:D小题1:B小题1:D小题1:B小题1:A略
马上分享给同学
据魔方格专家权威分析,试题“A friend of mine was sitting in the living room one day when..”主要考查你对&&日常生活类阅读&&等考点的理解。关于这些考点的“档案”如下:
现在没空?点击收藏,以后再看。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
日常生活类阅读
日常生活类阅读的概念:
日常生活这一话题主要涉及人们衣食住行等方面的活动。这一话题的选材主要针对人们日常的工作,生活以及学习情况。做这一类题时,最主要的是要把握好人物的活动内容,时间和地点。 日常生活类阅读题答题技巧:
【题型说明】该类文章内容涉及到人们的言谈举止、生活习惯、饮食起居、服饰仪表、恋爱婚姻、消遣娱乐、节日起源、家庭生活等。文章篇幅短小,追根溯源,探索各项风俗的历史渊源,内容有趣。命题也以送分题为主,如事实细节题、语义转换题、词义猜测题和简单推理判断题等。虽然这类文章读起来感觉轻松,试题做起来比较顺手,但绝不能掉以轻心。因为稍不留神,就会丢分。   【备考提醒】为了保证较高准确率,建议同学们做好以下几点:   1、保持正常的考试心态。笔者在教学中发现,越是容易的试题,同学们越是容易失分。为什么呢?因为在这种情况下,同学们极易产生麻痹思想,认为题目好做,就不引起高度重视,于是思维不发散、不周密。而命题人就是利用同学们的这一弱点,设计陷阱题。所以,无论试题难易与否,我们都要保持正常的考试心态。试题容易,不欣喜;试题难,不悲观。   2、根据前面讲到的方法,认认真真、细细心心做好事实细节题。   3、做好语义转换题。这类题是根据英语中一词多义和某些词语在文中能表达一定的修辞意义的原则而设计的。要求同学们解释某生词的含义,确定多义词或短语在文中的意思,确认文中的某个代词所指代的对象,或者对英语中特有的表达、格言、谚语进行解释。这种题要求同学们一定要根据上下文猜测词义或理解句子,切不可望文生义。   4、做好简单推理判断题。简单推理判断题要以表面文字为前提,以具体事实为依据进行推理,做出判断。这种推理方式比较直接,只要弄清事实,即可结合常识推断出合理的结论。
发现相似题
与“A friend of mine was sitting in the living room one day when..”考查相似的试题有:
191563394439413833185070212569399078请选择年级高一高二高三请输入相应的习题集名称(选填):
科目:高中英语
题型:阅读理解
Passage Nineteen (TV’s Harmfulness)
Yes, but what did we use to do before there was television? How often we hear statements like this! Television hasn’t been with us all that long, but we are already beginning to forget what the world was like without it. Before we admitted the one-eyed monster into our homes, we never fond it difficult to occupy our spare time. We used to enjoy civilized pleasures. For instance, we used to have hobbies, we used to entertain our friends and be entertained by them, we used to go outside for our amusements to theatres, cinemas, restaurants and sporting events. We even used to read books and listen to music and broadcast talks occasionally. All that belongs to the past. Now all our free time is regulated by the goggle box. We rush home or gulp down our meals to be in time for this or that programme. We have even given up sitting at table and having a leisurely evening meal, exchanging the news of the day. A sandwich and a glass of beer will do – anything, providing it doesn’t interfere with the programme. The monster demands and obtains absolute silence and attention. If any member of the family dares to open his mouth during a programme, he is quickly silenced.
Whole generations are growing up addicted to the telly. Food is left uneaten, homework undone and sleep is lost. The telly is a universal pacifier. It is now standard practice for mother to keep the children quiet by putting them in the living-room and turning on the set. It doesn’t matter that the children will watch rubbishy commercials or spectacles of sadism and violence – so long as they are quiet.
There is a limit to the amount of creative talent available in the world. Every day, television consumes vast quantities of creative work. That is why most of the programmes are so bad: it is impossible to keep pace with the demand and maintain high standards as well. When millions watch the same programmes, the whole world becomes a village, and society is reduced to the conditions which obtain in preliterate communities. We become utterly dependent on the two most primitive media of communication: pictures and the spoken word.
Television encourages passive enjoyment. We become content with second-hand experiences. It is so easy to sit in our armchairs watching others working. Little by little, television cuts us off from the real world. We get so lazy, we choose to spend a fine day in semi-darkness, glued to our sets, rather than go out into the world itself. Television may be s splendid medium of communication, but it prevents us from communicating with each other. We only become aware how totally irrelevant television is to real living when we spend a holiday by the sea or in the mountains, far away from civilization. In quiet, natural surroundings, we quickly discover how little we miss the hypnotic tyranny of King Telly.
1.What is the biggest harm of TV?
A.It deprives people of communication with the real world.
B.People become lazy.
C.People become dependent on second-hand experience.
D.TV consumes a large part of one’s life.
2.In what way can people forget TV?
A.Far away from civilization.
B.To a mountain.
C.By the sea.
D.In quiet natural surroundings.
3.What does a mother usually do to keep her children quiet?
A.Let them watch the set.
B.Put them in the living room.
C.Let them watch the rubbish.
D.Let them alone.
4.What does the first sentence in the first paragraph mean?
A.We found it difficult to occupy our spare time.
B.We become addicted to TV.
C.What we used to do is different from now.
D.We used to enjoy civilized pleasures.
第二节& 完形填空(共20小题;每小题1.5分,满分30分)
阅读下面短文,从短文后所给各题的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。
One afternoon I was sitting at my favorite table in a restaurant , waiting for the food I had ordered to arrive . Suddenly I&& &36&& &&that a man sitting at a table near the window kept glancing in my direction ,&& &37&& &he knew me . The man had a newspaper&& &&38&& &in front of him , which he was &&&39&& &&to read , but I could& &&40&& &&that he was keeping an eye on me . when the waiter brought my&& &&41& &&the man was clearly puzzled (困惑) by the&&& 42&& &&way in which the waiter and I& &&43&& &&each other . He seemed even more puzzled as&&&& 44&&& went on and it became& &&&45& &&that all the waiters in the restaurant knew me . Finally he got up and went into the&& &46&& &&. When he came out , he paid his bill and& &&47 &&&&without another glance in my direction .
I called the owner of the restaurant and asked what the man had& &&48&&& &. “Well,” he said , “that man was a detective (侦探) . He& &&49&&& &you here because he thought you were the man he&& &&50&&& .” “What ?” I said , showing my&& &&51& &&. The owner continued , “He came into the kitchen and showed me a photo of the wanted man. I &&52& &&say he looked very much like you ! Of course , since we know you , we told him that he had made a&&&& 53& &&.” “Well , it’s really& &&54& &&&I came to a restaurant where I’m known ,” I said . “ &&55&& &&, I might have been in trouble .”
36.A.knew &&&&& B.understood &&&& C.noticed && D.recognized
37.A.since &&&&& B.even if &&& C.though &&& D.as if
38.A.flat & B.open &&&&&& C.cut & D.fixed
39.A.hoping &&& B.thinking & C.pretending &&&&& D.continuing
40.A.see & B.find
C.guess &&&&& D.learn
41.A.menu &&&&& B.bill & C.paper &&&&& D.food
42.A.direct &&&& B.familiar & C.strange &&& D.funny
43.A.chatted with B.looked at &&& C.laughed at &&&&& D.talked about
44.A.the waiter& B.time &&&& C.I &&&& D.the dinner
45.A.true
B.hopeful && C.clear &&&&&& D.possible
46.A.restaurantB.washroom &&&&&& C.office &&&& D.kitchen
47.A.left & B.acted &&&&& C.sat down
D.calmed down
48.A.wanted && B.tried &&&&&& C.ordered && D.wished
49.A.met
B.caught &&& C.followed
D.discovered
50.A.was to beat &&&& B.was dealing with &&& &&&&&&&&C.was to meet &&& D.was looking for
51.A.care
B.surprise && C.worry &&&& D.regret
52.A.must &&&&&& B.can & C.need &&&&&& D.may
53.A.discovery B.mistake && C.decision & D.fortune
54.A.a pity &&&& B.natural &&& C.a chance & D.lucky
55.A.Thus &&&&&& B.However
C.Otherwise &&&&& D.Therefore
来源:学年贵州省遵义市第一高级中学高一6月月考英语试卷(带解析)
As soon as you meet, or even see, a person, you form an impression of him based on his posture, gestures and facial expressions. This is why it is important to make a good first impression on the person who will be interviewing you. Within the first 60 seconds of meeting you, the interviewer will have formed an impression about what type of person you are and what kind of employee you would become, and 55% of this will be based only on your body language. Here are some tips to make that impression a good one. First of all, relax. Think positive thoughts and you are more likely to come across as a positive, confident person during the interview. Dress smartly, as your appearance is one of the first things an interviewer will notice you. Stand up straight, and walk in with your shoulders back and your head up. Try to avoid slowing down as you walk into the room because this suggests fear and uncertainty. Shake hands with the interviewer firmly. You should have a positive handshake and a warm smile. Opening your coat or jacket as you sit down shows that you, too, are open. Posture is important. You should be sitting well back in your seat. Sit up straight and lean forward slightly, but not too much. Sitting at too much of an angle (角度) expresses discomfort and distrust. Tow of the most common defensive (防卫的) signals are crossing your arms and legs, so try to avoid them.Another important issue is eye contact. Looking someone in the eye shows confidence in yourself and trust in the other person. However, don’t overdo it, as too much eye contact or staring will make the other person uncomfortable. Use more eye contact when listening than when talking, and when you look away, look down. Looking up at the ceiling will make you seem bored or rude.【小题1】The purpose of the first paragraph is to tell readers&&&&& .A.what a good first impression isB.how to make a good first impressionC.how long it takes to make a first impressionD.the importance of making a good first impression【小题2】Which of the following does the author advise you to do when you are being interviewed?A.Cross your arms or legs.B.Open your coat or jacket when sitting down.C.Go into the room more slowly than usual.D.Avoid looking at the eyes of the interviewer directly.【小题3】If you lean forward too much, it means&&&&& .A.you are very boredB.you are too nervousC.you don’t have confidenceD.you don’t trust others【小题4】What is the best title for the text?A.How to use body language to win an interviewB.How to answer questions in an interviewC.How to understand body languageD.How to deal with an interviewer
来源:山东省青岛二中2010届高三下学期考前预测试卷(英语)
On April 16th,don`t be surprised if the womann next to you on the subway looks like she forgot to get dlessed for work.She won`t be alone.People in their pajamas(睡衣裤)will be spotted all across the country一traveling on the subway,in line for their morning coffee,and even walking into office buildings.That`S because people will be trading in their business suits for pajamas and celebrating National Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day. There is nothng more comfortable than sitting at your desk in soft cotton flannel(法兰绒的)paiamas or wearing your favorite slippers while you deeply think about the day`s tasks,The PajamaGram Company,Which produces and sells pajamsa,believes that Americans need a break,especially the day aher income taxes are due.That`s why they are celebrating National wear Your Pajamas to Work Day. Wearing pajamas to work can be relaxing and can actually help employees be more productive.David Alien,author of The Art of Stress-free Productivity,promotes(倡导)relaxation to increase Productivity."Our ability to be Productive is directly proportional(成比例的)to our ability to relax,"said Allen."Only when our minds are clear and our thoughts are organized can we achieve stressftee productivity."
At the Pajama Gram Company,it`s not unusual to find employees Wearing their pajamas at important meetings or at their desks.The Company even invented the term "life is bananas,send some pajamas," to describe how they feel about the world we live in. The PajamaGrma Company offers over 100 styles of pajamas,robes,slippers and spa products.Each PajamaGram gift comes along with beautiful Pajamas,lavender(熏衣草)bath tea,Do-Not-Disturb sign for the door and a gift card.61. On APril 16th,people in America often ____________. A.forget to change pajamas for work B.do pajama business on the way to Work C.go to wook in their pajamas D.celebrate their traditional festival62. People celebrate this special day because they are expected toA.Work in a more effective way B.increase their ability to relax C.spend less on their daily clothes D.have more time to rest63. The underlined word "bananaS" in the last paragraph can be replaced by ___________.A.easy and free &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.happy and interesting C.crazy and busy&&&&&&&&&& D.full of fruits64. According to the passage,which gifts will you receive from the PaiamaGram Company?a.a sleepwear &b.a beautiful box &&&c.a Do-Not-Disturb sign
d.lavder bath tea e.a personalized gift card A.c,d,e &&&&&&&& B.a,c,d &&&&&&&& C.b,c,d,e&& D.a,c,d,e65. The main purpose of the passage is to _________. A.advertise the PajamaGram Company B.introduce a special day in America C.describe the busy life In America D.advise people to buy more pajamas
来源:重庆市名校联盟 2009---2010学年高一下学期第二次联合考试英语试题
第三部分阅读理解(共15小题;每小题2分,满分30分)请阅读下列短文,从每题所给的四个选项(A、B、C和D)中,选出最佳选项,并在答题卡上将该项的标号涂黑。May 16th&&&&&&&&&&& Wednesday&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& SunnyThey used to call her “the witch(女巫)”, but today I found things were different. My legs were too short to reach the floor from up there on the big chair. I was so afraid. My legs started to shake. It was the first time I had been to the principal’s(校长的) office. And I knew what she was going to ask me. Why had I been running on the concrete(混凝土) in the playground? Why hadn’t I followed the school rules?
The principal’s secretary was sitting at her desk. She kept asking me questions like whether I liked school and what grade I was in. I didn’t want to talk to her, so I just gave one-word answers.&&&&&&&&& Then she asked what my dad did. But I didn’t really know what he did, so I made something up. “He plays basketball for the Boston Celtics,” I said. The secretary just looked at me, and said nothing more. Just then, the door to the principal’s office opened. There she was, the woman that everyone called “the witch”. Was she really that bad? I was surprised to see her office walls were bright yellow, and there were some nice pictures on the desk. She told me about the pictures. I was surprised that she had a family and a kid, just like me. Then she asked how my family was. It turned out that she had known me since I was only a few weeks old. I was happy to hear that. If she knew my mum, then I wouldn’t get into much trouble.She cleaned the cut on my knee and told me to be more careful. She also told me about the rules of the playground. But she didn’t punish or shout at me. And I forgot all the bad things I had heard about “the witch”. I had met her and I knew she was nice.1.“The witch” in the story refers to _______.A. the writer&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. the writer’s father&&&&&&&&&&& C. the secretary&&& D. the principal2.Which of the following statements is TRUE?A. The writer often asked the principal for help. & B. The principal must be very strict with students. & C. Running in the playground was allowed by the school rules. & D. The writer’s father was an excellent basketball player.3.Which word can replace the underlined phrase “made up” (in Paragraph 6)? & A. Told.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. Invented.&&&&&&&&&&&& C. Minded.&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. Memorized.4. How did the writer find the principal in the end? & A. Terrible.&&&&&&&&&&& B. Kind. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. Proud.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. Strict.剑桥国际英语教程入门级学生用书02
http://image.tingclass.net/statics/js/2012
剑桥国际英语教程 学生用书 入门级;
Unit 5 What are you doing?;
1 CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Debbie: Hello? John: Hi, Debbie. This is John. I'm calling from A
Debbie: Australia? John: I'm at a conference in Sydney. Remember?;
Debbie: Oh, right. What time is it there?;
John: It's 10:00 P.M. And it's four o'clock there in Los Angeles. Right?;
Debbie: Yes - four o'clock in the morning John: 4:00 A.M.? Oh, I'm really sorry.;
Debbie: That's OK. I'm awake . . . now.;
2 TELLING TIME (1) A Listen and practice.;
It's five o'clock in the morning. It's 5:00 A.M.;
It's seven o'clock in the morning. It's 7:00 A.M.;
It's twelve o'clock. It's noon.;
It's four in the afternoon. It's 4:00 P.M.;
It's seven in the evening. It's 7:00 P.M.;
It's twelve o'clock at night. It's midnight.;
3 SNAPSHOT TIME ZONES Listen and practice.;
Vancouver Los Angeles Mexico City L
Montreal New York City San Juan B
London Moscow Seoul B
TELLING TIME (2) A Listen and practice.;
What time is it? It's one o'clock.;
It's one-oh-five. It's five (minutes) after one.;
It's one-fifteen. It's a quarter after one.;
It's one-thirty. It's one-forty. It's twenty to two.;
It's one forty-five. It's a quarter to two.;
CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Steve:Hi,Mom. Mrs.Dole:What are you doing,Steve?;
Steve:I'm hungry, so I'm cooking.;
Mrs.Dole:You're cooking? It's two o'clock in the morning!;
Steve:Yeah,but I'm really hungry! Mrs.Dole:What are you making?;
Steve:Pizza. Mrs.Dole:Mmm,pizza. So let's eat!;
7 GRAMMAR FOCUS What +
Los Angeles 4:00 A.M. What's Victoria doing? She's sleeping right now.;
Mexico City 6:00 A.M. Whafs Marcos doing? It's 6:00 A.M., so he's getting up.;
New York City 7:00 A.M.;
What are Sue and Tom doing? They're having breakfast.;
Brasilia 9:00 A.M. What's Celia doing? She's going to work.;
London 12:00 NOON;
What are James and Anne doing? It's noon, so they're having lunch.;
Moscow 3:00 P.M. What's Andrei doing? He's working.;
Bangkok 7:00 P.M. What's Permsak doing? He's eating dinner right now.;
Tokyo 9:00 P.M. What's Hiroshi doing? He's watching television.;
Your city 00.00 What are you doing? It's..., so I'm ....;
Spelling sleep 彙?leeping get 彙?etting(+ t) have 彙?aving(- e);
8 PRONUNCLATION Intonation of yes/no and Wh-
A Listen and practice. Notice the intonation of the questions.;
A:Is Victoria getting up? B:No,she isn't.;
A:What's Victoria doing? B:She's sleeping.;
B Listen to the questions.;
Write ?for rising intonation or ?for falling intonation.;
9 WORD POWER A
A Listen and practice.;
11 READING It's Saturday! What are you doing?;
1.We're washing people's cars. My friends and I are working together.;
The money from the car wash is for our school football team.;
2.I'm watching a funny movie with my friend. It's noon.;
My friend is laughing at something,so now I'm laughing,too.;
We're laughing at everything!;
3.I'm with my granddaughter in the park.;
Her parents are working today. We're playing and talking.;
She's telling me about school. She and I are good friends.;
4.I'm sitting in bed with my laptop computer. It's 11:00 at night.;
I'm writing letters to friends. They're in other countries.;
But I'm thinking about them,so I'm not sad.;
1 SHAPSHOT City May Listen and practice.;
2 CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Ashley: Hey, Jason. What are you doing?;
Jason: Oh, I'm waiting for my mom. My bike has a flat tire.;
Ashley: Is she coming right now? Jason: Yeah. She works near here.;
Ashley: Oh, that's good. Jason: So what are you doing?;
Ashley:I'm going home. I don't live far from here, so I walk to school.;
Jason: You're lucky!;
3 WORD POWER F
A Pair work Complete the sentences about the Carter family.;
Then listen to check your answers.;
4 GRAMMAR FOCUS Simpl
I walk to school. I don't live far from here.;
You ride your bike to school. You don't live near here.;
He works near here. He doesn't work downtown.;
She takes the bus to work. She doesn't drive to work.;
We live with our parents. We don't live alone.;
They use public transportation. They don't need a car.;
don't = do not doesn't =
4 GRAMMAR FOCUS Simple present statements with irregular verbs.;
I / you / we / they he / she /
I have a bike. It has a flat fire.;
We do our homework every day. My father does a lot of work at home.;
My parents go to work by car. My sister goes to school by bus.;
6 PRONUNCIATION Third-
Listen and practice. Notice the pronunciation of s endings.;
s = /s/ take takes
s = /z/ go goes live
(e)s = /iz/ dance dances us
irregular do do
Jack:Let's go to the park on Sunday.;
Amy:OK, but let's not go early. I sleep late on weekends.;
Jack:What time do you get up on Sundays? Amy:At ten o'clock.;
Jack:Oh, that isn't very late. I get up at noon.;
Amy:Do you eat breakfast then? Jack:Sure. I have breakfast every day.;
Amy:Then let's meet at Harry's Restaurant at one o'clock.;
They serve breakfast all day on Sundays - for people like us.;
10 GRAMMAR FOCUS Simp
Do you get up early on weekends? No, I get up late.;
What time do you get up? At ten o'clock.;
Does he have breakfast on Sundays? Yes,he eats breakfast every day.;
What time does he have breakfast? At noon.;
Do they shop fogether? Yes, they shop together a lot.;
When do they shop? On Saturdays.;
Time expressions
on Sundays on
in the morning in the afte
at nine o'clock at noon/
11 READING WHAT`S YOUR SCHEDULE LIKE?;
Brittany Davis College S
&My classes all start at 8:00 A.M., so I get up at 7:00, eat a quick breakfast,;
and take the bus to the university.;
In the afternoon, I have a job at the library.;
My only time to study is in the evening, from eight until midnight.;
I work at the library on Saturdays, too.;
But on Saturday nights I stay out late, and on Sundays I sleep until noon!&;
Joshua Burns Web-Site D
&I design Web sites for small companies. I'm self-employed, so I work at home.;
I get up at 6:30 and go for a run before breakfast.;
I'm at my computer by 8:00, and I work until 6:00.;
Around one o'clock, I take a lunch break,;
and I 'surf the Net' to look at other Web sites.;
I work hard -sometimes I work all night to finish a project.;
But I never work on weekends!&;
Maya Black Rock M
&I go to work at ten o'clock in the evening , and I play until 3:00 A.M.;
I take a break at midnight, though.;
After work, I have dinner at an all-night restaurant.;
Then I take a taxi home.;
I go to bed at five in the morning and sleep until two in the afternoon.;
I only work three nights a week -Friday,;
Saturday, and Sunday - but I practice every afternoon.&;
Unit 7 Does the apartment have view?;
1 SNAPSHOT Houses and Apartments Listen ad practise.;
Linda: Guess what! I have a new apartment Chris: That's super. What's it like?;
Linda: It's really beautiful. Chris: How many rooms does it have?;
Linda: Well, it has a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room.;
Oh, and a big closet in the hall. Chris: Where is it?;
Linda: It's on Lakeview Drive. Chris: Oh, nice. Does it have a view?;
Linda: Yes, it does. It has a great view of my neighbor's apartment!;
3 GRAMMAR FOCUS Simple p
Do you live in an apartment? Yes,I do. No, I don't.;
Does the apartment have a view? Yes, it does. No,it doesn't.;
Do the bedrooms have closets? Yes,they do. No,they don't.;
How many rooms does the apartment have? It has four rooms.;
5 WORD POWER Furniture A Listen and practice.;
armchairs sto
microwave oven ref
desk bookcase dresser chairs m
6 CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Chris: This apartment is great.;
Linda: Thanks. I love it, but I really need some furniture.;
Chris: What do you need?;
Linda: Well, there are some chairs in the kitchen, but there isn't a table.;
Chris: And there's no sofa here in the living room.;
Linda: And there aren't any chairs. There'
Chris: So let's go shopping next weekend!;
7 GRAMMAR FOCUS There is,
There's a lamp in the living room. There's no sofa in the living room.;
There isn't a table in the kitchen. There are some chairs in the kitchen.;
There are no chairs in living room.;
There aren't any chairs in the living room. There's = T
8 PRONUNCIATION W
A Listen and practice. Notice the two pronunciations of th.;
There are thirteen rooms in this house. The house has three bathrooms.;
READING TWO SPECIAL HOUSES IN THE AMERICAN SOUTHWEST;
In San Antonio, Texas, there is a purple house.;
This house is the home of Sandra Cisneros.;
Ms. Cisneros is a Mexican-American writer.;
She is famous for her interesting stories. The house has a porch with a pink floor.;
The rooms are green, pink, and purple. There are many books an
Many other houses near Ms. Cisneros'
are white or beige, so her house is very different.;
Some of her neighbors think her house is too colorful, but Ms. Cisneros loves it.;
Every year many people visit the land of the Navajos,;
the largest Native American tribe in the Southwest.;
Most people stay in hotels, but some are now staying in tradit- ional Navajo homes,;
called hogans. Hogans are made of logs and mud and have dirt floors.;
Lorraine Nelson, a schoolteacher from Arizona,;
now invites visitors to stay in a hogan on her property.;
Her hogan has three chairs, two beds on the floor, and a wood-burning stove.;
Ms. Nelson teaches guests about Navajo traditions.;
Unit 8 What do you do?;
1 WORD POWER J
Listen and practice. Then match the occupations to the pictures.;
3 CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Rachel: Where does your brother work? Angela: In a hotel.;
Rachel: Oh, that's interesting. My brother works in a hotel, too.;
Angela: Really? What does he do, exactly?;
Rachel: He's a chef in the restaurant. What about your brother?;
Angela: He's a security guard, but he doesn't like it.;
Rachel:That's too bad. Angela: Yeah. He's looking for a new job.;
4 GRAMMAR FOCUS Simple present Wh-
Where do you work? I work in a hotel. What do you do there? I'm a receptionist.;
Where does sh work? She works in a store.;
What does she do there? She's a cashier.;
Where do they work? They work in a hospital.;
What do they do there? They're nurses.;
5 FROUNCIATION Redu
A Listen and practice. Notice the reduction of do and does in these questions.;
Where do you work? What do you do? Where does he work? What does he do?;
Where do they work? What do they do?;
8 CONVERSATION Listen and practice.;
Richard:Hi, Stephanie. I hear you have a new job.;
Stephanie: Yes. I'm teaching math at Lincoln High School.;
Richard: How do you like it?;