ourlucky happy life下载 needs happy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is a
by . Set in , it was published in the September
magazine concurrently with "". The story was eventually adapted to the screen as the
Francis Macomber and his wife Margaret (usually referred to as "Margot"), are on a big-game
in Africa, guided by professional hunter Robert Wilson. Earlier, Francis had panicked when a wounded
charged him. Margot mocks Macomber for this act of cowardice, and it is implied that she sleeps with Wilson.
The next day the party hunt . Macomber and Wilson hunt together and shoot three buffalo. Two of the buffalo are killed, but the first is only wounded and retreats into the bush. Macomber now feels confident, and he and Wilson proceed to track the wounded animal, paralleling the circumstances of the previous day's lion hunt.
When they find the buffalo, it charges Macomber. Although he stands his ground and fires at it, his shots are too high. Wilson fires at the beast as well, but it keeps charging. Macomber kills the buffalo at the last second. At the same time, Margot fires a shot from the car, which instead hits Macomber in the skull and kills him. Margot falls to the ground and weeps.
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" was first published in the September 1936 issue of
and later published in
The essence of "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is courage. Wilson has courage but Macomber, who is afraid of lions, has none. When the cowardly husband, whose wife made her way from Wilson's tent hours before, finds the courage to face the charging buffalo, he forges the identity he wants: the courage to face both wild animals and his wife. Tragically, Macomber's happiness is measured in hours, and indeed even in minutes. Hemingway biographer
claims that Macomber loses his fear as the buffalo charges, and the loss of fear ushers Macomber into manhood, which Margot instantly kills.
Baker believes Wilson symbolizes the man free of woman (because he refuses to allow Margot to dominate him) the man Macomber wishes to be. Wilson understands, as he blasts the lion dead, that Margot is a woman who needs to be dominated. Jeffrey Meyers considers Margot Macomber to be the villain of the story. She characterises "a predatory (rather than a passive) female who is both betrayer and murderer"; and she emphasizes the connection between "shooting and sex."
Francis Macomber has lived most of his adult life under the manipulative and domineering influence of Margot. He cannot bring himself to face her and assert his leadership in their marriage, allowing her to step all over him. The text implies that the affair with Wilson is not the first time Margot has cheated on her husband. Macomber, fleeing from the lion, is unimpressive when compared with Wilson, the seasoned hunter and safari-veteran, cool and collected in the face of danger.
The loss of Macomber’s manhood in the encounter with the lion mirrors the blow he takes when Margot blatantly cheats on him. This appears to be the last straw, pushing him over the edge. Macomber translates his fury into the intensity of the hunt. He experiences rising confidence and bravery during the hunt, as he seeks to take back the manhood he has lost, or perhaps never had.
This transformation is highlighted by various symbols. The story opens with Macomber's offering the group “lime juice or lemon squash". But at the end of the buffalo hunt, he and Wilson toast their success in whiskey. Macomber has progressed from a timid rabbit drinking juice, to a hunter, downing more masculine hard liquor.
Hemingway also employs animals to carry the symbolism of "The Short Happy Life". Macomber is referenced as a rabbit several times, and one of his kills is described as one of “the big cowy things that jump like hares". His conquests are gentle animals, easily frightened. In contrast, Margot is described as “predatory", like a lion. The comparison to Macomber’s cowardice during the hunt is clear: Macomber the rabbit runs from his wife, a lion. The gaining of courage involves Macomber's feeling hot rage, an experience associated with the lion. Finally, Macomber lies dead, mirroring the posture of the buffalo he has shot. Wilson compliments the dead creature as a “hell of a good bull", implying that Macomber is finally worthy of respect by right of the beast he has conquered.
Margot is disturbed by Macomber’s suddenly gained confidence and assertion of his manhood, feeling her position of dominance threatened. His exhilaration after the buffalo hunt unnerves her. But with Macomber’s transition from boy to man comes death. Hemingway offers his perspective on happiness here: however brief, even a moment of confident happiness is enough to make one’s life worthwhile.
It is no coincidence that Margot is the one who kills him. There is an unresolved debate as to whether she murdered Macomber or accidentally killed him. If she purposefully shoots him, she has preserved her dominance in the relationship and ensures that she will keep his wealth (presumably the only reason they married in the first place).
If the shot is accidental, the moment actually becomes quite tender, as well as tragic. She has just observed her husband become a man, and even though she fears how their relationship will change, she is suddenly invigorated with energy to start afresh. Margaret picks up the gun to defend her husband, trying to save him in the face of danger. For once in their lives, husband and wife are both on the same side, shooting at the same bull. It is tragically ironic, of course, as she kills the man she is trying to save, but such is Hemingway’s commentary on life. The good things we gain are the sweetest, and the most short-lived.
A third interpretation of Margot’s shot is that she is trying to regain dominance over her husband by killing the bull herself. If this is the case, she wins back her power, but ironically, she destroys the thing she is trying to control. The bullet accomplishes exactly what she was trying to avoid.
poses with
in Africa, February 1934.
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" has been acclaimed as one of Hemingway's most successful artistic achievements. This is largely due to the ambiguous complexity of its characters and their motivations, and the debate this ambiguity has generated. In the estimation of critic Kenneth G. Johnston, "the prevailing critical view is that she deliberately—or at best, 'accidentally on purpose'—murdered him", but there are many, including Johnston himself, who hold the opposite view.
Hemingway scholar
calls Margot Macomber "easily the most unscrupulous of Hemingway's fictional females"; a woman "who is really and literally deadly" and who "covets her husband's money but values even more her power over him." Literary critic and early mentor to Hemingway
observed bluntly, “The men in …these African stories are married to American bitches of the most soul-destroying sort.” Other authors who hold similar views regarding Margot include Philip Young,
(see below).
A related point that has been widely debated is whether Hemingway intended the reader to view Robert Wilson as a heroic figure, embodying Hemingway's ideal of the courageous, hyper-masculine male. Critics who argue for Margot's innocence are especially likely to question this positive view of Wilson. It is through Wilson's words that Margot's intentions are questioned, notably when he asks after the shooting "Why didn't you poison him? That's what they do in England." If Wilson is intended to be the story's voice of morality, then this implied accusation is damning. But if Wilson is a less-perfect character himself, then his judgment of Margot is suspect. Some critics have noted that Wilson chases down the buffalo in a car, violating the law and perhaps also Hemingway's code of fairness in hunting. Kenneth G. Johnston argues that Wilson "has much to gain by making Mrs. Macomber believe that the death of her husband could be construed as murder," since he could lose his license if Margot accurately described Wilson's use of the car in the buffalo hunt.
In The Lonely Voice: A Study of the Short Story, author and literary critic , though generally an admirer of Hemingway, gives one of the most colorful and uncharitable summations of "The Short Happy Life":
Francis runs away from a lion, which is what most sensible men would do if faced by a lion, and his wife promptly cuckolds him with the English manager of their big-game hunting expedition. As we all know, good wives admire nothing in a husband except his capacity to deal with lions, so we can sympathize with the poor woman in her trouble. But next day Macomber, faced with a buffalo, suddenly becomes a man of superb courage, and his wife, recognizing that[...] for the future she must be a virtuous wife, blows his head off. [...] To say that the psychology of this story is childish would be to waste good words. As farce it ranks with
or any other Victorian morality you can think of. Clearly, it is the working out of a personal problem that for the vast majority of men and women has no validity whatever.
Hart, James D.; Phillip W. Leininger. . : Oxford University Press.
, pp. 188–189
Stoltzfus, p. 206
, p. 273
Bender, p. 13
Gaillard, pp. 31–35
Catalano, p. 111
Baker, S. p. 99
Morgan, K Losada, Luis A (Fall 1991). "Tracking the Wounded B Authorial Knowledge and the Shooting of Francis Macomber". The Hemingway Review XI (1): 25–28.
Johnston, Kenneth G. (Spring 1983). "In Defense of the Unhappy Margot Macomber". The Hemingway Review II (2): 44–7.
(1972). Hemingway, the Writer as Artist. Princeton University Press. pp. 187 & 110.  .
(2007). Hemingway: Gauge of Morale. 1941. In Literary Essays and Reviews of the 1930s & 40s: The Triple Thinkers, The Wound and the Bow, Classics and Commercials, Uncollected Reviews Lewis M. Dabney, ed. p. 434.  .
(1963). The Lonely Voice: A Study of the Short Story. World Publishing. pp. 168–169.  .
Baker, Carlos (1972).
(4th ed.). .  .
Meyers, Jeffrey (1985). Hemingway: A Biography. London: .  .
Stoltzfus, Ben (2005). "Sartre, "Nada," and Hemingway's African Stories". Comparative Literature Studies 42 (3): 250–228.
Wilson, Edmund (1941). "Hemingway: Gauge of Morale. In Literary Essays and Reviews of the 1930s & 40s: The Triple Thinkers, The Wound and the Bow, Classics and Commercials, Uncollected Reviews Lewis M. Dabney, ed.(2007)".
Bender, Bert. "Margot Macomber’s Gimlet." College Literature. 8.1 (1981): 13. JSTOR. College Literature. Web. 3 Dec. 2011.  .
Gaillard, Jr., Theodore. “The Critical Menagerie in ‘The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.’” The English Journal. 60.1 (1971): 31–35. National Council of Teachers of English. Web. 3 Dec. 2011  .
Catalano, Susan M. "Henpecked to heroism: placing Rip Van Winkle and Francis Macomber in the American renegade tradition." The Hemingway Review 17.2 (1998): 111+. 3 Dec. 2011.
Baker, Sheridan Warner. "Green Hills and the Gulf." Ernest H an Introduction and Interpretation. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1967. 99. Print.Understand Life With Heart_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
喜欢此文档的还喜欢
Understand Life With Heart
小​王​子​的​读​后​感
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用
想免费下载本文?
把文档贴到Blog、BBS或个人站等:
普通尺寸(450*500pix)
较大尺寸(630*500pix)
你可能喜欢Sunday morning, while Ryan watched John Oliver and drank his coffee, I sat at the kitchen table with the latest issue of Cooking Light, my big fat binder of recipes, my computer, and a pen and two pieces of paper.
One paper was the working meal plan, one was the working grocery list.
Tabs open on my computer , my calendar with my work schedule, and Pinterest.
When I finished, about 30 minutes later, Ryan said, “Gosh, were you just meal planning that entire time?!”
Yes. Yes I was.
Maybe this post makes me sound like a freak (maybe I am) or maybe it will inspire others to meal plan, too. The thing is, speaking personally: If I don’t meal plan, we will eat crap food. That’s the end of that.
My work schedule is important, because I cannot cook on days when I get home from work. I usually walk in the door at 8:00, starving, sore, grumpy, and tired. The food has to be hot and on the plate at 8:01 for me to even function for the rest of the evening. Standing in the kitchen to cook is a no-go. This just means planning meals that will have leftovers!
Here’s what we ate this week:
Sunday night: Seafood special. I made
from Cooking Light — a real star. I cooked some mashed potatoes on the side and Ryan told me it was a restaurant-quality meal. Boom! Done. I like using seafood as my “no leftovers” food since, well, there aren’t usually leftovers, and leftover fish is…kinda gross.
Monday night: I wasn’t working, but I needed to make enough food for two days. Highs in the upper 60s led me to consider something on the grill, and we hadn’t had chicken in a while. Enter:
It’s a super flavorful chicken dish that is topped with a deconstructed guacamole—and it’s delicious.
Recipe from Cooking Light, .
I served it with this boxed rice mix (ummm sooooo good, Goya, good work) and a side of easy black beans (recipe below):
Take two cans of black beans, one drained and one not. Dump beans in a medium-sized pan with about 1 tbsp olive oil, 1-2 tbsp chopped jalape?os, 1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Bring to a small simmer until it’s all heated through and serve with the rice.
Side of Taylor’s Southwest Salad rounded out the meal with a satisfying crunch.
Tuesday night: Leftovers! Making three chicken breasts was enough for the two of us — I ate half on Tuesday night and half last night. The box of rice, salad bag, and beans were enough for two people, two times, too.
Someone had it all warmed up out of the microwave for me at 8:01 p.m.
Wednesday: Not working, so I’m cooking. I actually made two meals today: Pizza Rice Casserole (at Someone’s request this week) and , from .
Tonight’s soup was inspired by suddenly freezing temperatures in the 30s-40s (gross!) and my need to have a substantive lunch while at work tomorrow.
Quick and easy.
Thursday and Friday:
is for us to eat Thursday and Friday, since I work both days. The PRC is easy to preassemble and leave in the fridge with instructions such as, “Take off the saran wrap and bake at 325 for 30 minutes.” Trust me that each piece of those instructions is vital to Someone’s success…
So there you have it — the cooking that gets us from Sunday to Friday.
Do you meal plan? I’m a freak?
The library hold list is killer. I’m telling you: nothing will incentivize you to read faster than hearing that the book you waited four months to check out is ready for pick up.
[I am #52 of 386 holds on The Girl on the Train. Can’t wait to get it in time for my summer vacation in July!]
Here are a few good ones I’ve read lately:
We Were Liars, E. Lockhart
Love me an unreliable narrator. Love me a young adult fiction book that is so well written and haunting you go, wait, seriously? Young adult? What kind of young adult could handle this?
Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng
What an emotional story about a family and its tragedy. I was so upset by this beautiful book. So many feels. A very moving portrait of four very flawed members of a family, and how they hurt one another despite their love.
And finally, the one I just started reading:
All the Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr
It’s gripping already. I also have Those Who Save Us on my nightstand, but my heart can only stand one WWII book every three months.
The wedding is officially less than 11 months away (I’m aware that’s still ridiculously far off, but still) and we are deep in the “booking your vendors!” stage.
Although not surprising, I consult my married friends’ advice on how to plan a wedding almost daily. “How do you choose a photographer?” “How many DJs did you meet with?” “How much is too much for flowers?” It’s been immensely helpful to hear them say, “Oh yes, that’s the hardest part” (guest list) or “Yes, yes, the photographs of DJs are frightening and you cannot judge them on their hair gel.”
Here are some things that have helped for me in the first two months of planning:
1. Get a wedding book.
pictured above was recommended to me by a friend, and it’s fantastic.
It’s a good place to start. Although I don’t find the “star ratings” very helpful (it seems everyone has 4-5 stars, somehow) it brings you to a list of names that are at least narrowed down from a google search.
3. Vendor list.
See if your venue has put together a preferred vendor list, and even better, ask your coordinator or representative who her personal favorite vendors are. I found this to be most helpful with florist and DJs.
4. Trust your own personal taste, even if you aren’t an expert.
I don’t know too much about photography, other than knowing when I like something and when I don’t. If you don’t like the pictures you’re seeing for some reason, just stop right there.
However, if you’re like me, you’ll fall in love with the photographer whose packages start at $8500 and you’ll be screwed.
What worked for me was setting a firm budget. As a friend pointed out: “Yes, when you’re in the middle of planning it all, it’s easy to think, ‘What’s another $1000? $2000?’ But when you step back for one second, you realize just how much money that is.”
What I tried to do was figure out what it was about the $8000 photography I liked. Was it the angles? The lighting? The emotion? The style? I guarantee you can find those things in a less expensive photographer.
(I’m not saying that wedding photographers do not work hard or do not deserve the money they make, but DAMN I should have chosen a different career, yaknowwhatImean?)
Set an amount that you don’t want to go above, and start googling. Many photographers of course do not put their pricing on their website, so you have to inquire. But if it’s out of reach, respond immediately saying, “Thank you for your response, but we’re going with someone else.” Some of them will also let you customize the packages (I didn’t want a photo album, for instance) which can also help adjust the pricing a bit.
Your list will get narrowed down. Meet with no more than three of them (I met with one!) in person and choose who you like the best. That makes it sound overly simple, but it is. If you’re able to make a personal connection with one, choose her. As my friend Cara put it: “This person is following you around for 8 hours and will watch you get dressed. Pick who you would be friends with.”
5. Those friends…
Ask your friends who got married how they did it. They honestly have the best advice.
Hello, friends! Here’s what we’ve missed.
In about a week, thankfully, we have gone from this….
…to this!
Hurray! Yesterday’s Rennie walk was 61 degrees, and i did it with my sweatshirt tied around my waste and my bare white arms flinging around at my sides. It was rejuvenating.
We had what was hopefully our last snowstorm last week. Somehow this winter I’ve been scheduled to work each and every time the DC area has se that’s resulted in several white-knuckled drives in my two-door coupe through hazardous conditions that would shock people outside of this area (“This is the nation’s capital? Surely you can clear snow better than this?”).
Alas, nurses don’t get snow days.
So what makes the snow more bearable? Kale and sausage soup with a parmesan rind broth.
While in heaven last week (Wegmans) I found a small container of four parmesan rinds. Aha! Finally! The last ingredient necessary to make the parmesan broth I’ve been
so much about.
and it cooked up reeeeaaaal nice.
In other boring news, I visited home last weekend and managed to book a photographer whom I love and nail down some wedding details with the wedding coordinator at our venue.
Wedding planning is fun again!
If this were two years ago, I would have celebrated V-day by wearing all black and scowling all day at happy couples.
Last year, boyfriend and I braved a snowstorm to get dinner at the Mexican restaurant where we first met, and Someone trudged through the snow to get me the beautiful bouquet he had pre-ordered.
This Valentine’s Day was a little more…real. And I loved it. No fancy dinner out — I went and bought us some crab legs and made a big seafood dinner. We drank wine, cranked the heat up and snuggled. We played Nintendo 64 and watched a movie on Netflix. It was cozy and perfect.
We watched an old movie called The Piano. Have you seen it? We really enjoyed it. It was different and weird and haunting. Have you watched any old movies on Netflix lately that are worth watching?
I got chocolate, cheese, and roses. Perfect.
My handsome Valentine took me to a restaurant for some gluten-free pizza:
It was a fantastic day.
We’re super over winter over here — we’re over sitting on the couch, playing cards, and drinking. JK! We’re trying to make the best of it and we know spring is coming. It is coming, right?
1 big one and 76 small ones.
He did good.
Being engaged changes things. Slightly at first, more in a “I have a different mind-set about us” way over time.
Ryan and I had a few weeks of more-often-than-usual bad days. Several things contributed to this: job stress, winter-ness, wedding stress. There are several big decisions to be made in the beginning of an engagement that are more-than-slightly stressful. Size, budget, location, date… big ones. It can feel very overwhelming.
Stress for each of us independently put stress on us as a couple. But things…feel different now. It’s more of a long game, if that makes any sense. A bad day here and there doesn’t really mean much to me anymore when I look at the next 60-70 years of life. Eh, a bad Tuesday, but we’ve got time. Tomorrow will be better, and there will, god willing, be lots of tomorrows.
Another change? Money. We used to be very exact about who paid for what, who owed what to whom, and we made very sure to make things very even. Now? Eh, it’s all going the same place. I’ve definitely noticed a more lax attitude about paying someone back for paying that cable bill or buying Rennie’s food that one day.
one of many beautiful and thoughtful cards we’ve received that are decorating our bookshelf and making us smile every day
Now let’s go back to that wedding planning piece for a few minutes.
[Disclaimer: I am planning a wedding, so I’m focused on that. But please don’t think I’ve lost sight of the fact that it’s about a marriage, and not about a day in my life. Every time this starts to run away with me I remember the M word, and not its evil W-word counterpart, and we get back on track.]
When I’ve spoken to my married friends about this part, they all laugh at me. “Oh! Hahahaha. Wedding planning sucks, honey. You thought it would be fun??”
Well, kinda? Pinterest certainly makes it look fun (and more later on the devil that is Pinterest). But those big decisions I mentioned? Lots of people who love you as a couple are invested in those big decisions, too. Determining the budget, the size of the wedding, whom to invite, and counting up everyone and their plus ones is very, very stressful. Not everyone will be happy with all of the decisions that are made, and that’s really hard for a people-pleaser like me. What matters is you and your future partner. “It’s your day” is thrown around a lot, and you just have to remember that wait, yes, it is. It’s our day.
On budgeting: Of course this wedding will not be a platinum wedding, and I don’t want it to be. (Really, really re-thinking the decision not to take the money and run…) But realizing just how much everything costs—from photos (photography?!?!?!!? seriously?!?!?!?!?!?) to the insane expense of, say, flower arrangements or invitations (IT IS JUST PAPER, PEOPLE!)—can be startling and upsetting.
It’s OK! You pick the few things that are most important to you and you go from there. I, for instance, don’t really care too much about shoes or the dress or the favors. I don’t care about paper programs or flower centerpieces. But it’s hard to parse that out because ideally, of course, we would all want all the things. All the lovely things from Pinterest. And ideally, it wouldn’t make me feel SO guilty to spend money on such temporary things.
I don’t mean to sound super Debbie-Downer about it, or “Wah wah first world princess problem” because it has really been a fun experience so far. I am planning the day when I marry my best friend! A celebration of love. We haven’t done too much yet (more on that later, too), but the decisions we have made have made me feel good and I’m very happy with the overall vision of the wedding. I cherish every one of our loving family and friends who are going to make the day so special for us. I appreciate everyone’s help and assistance so far and would be nowhere without the extra support.
And the best part? We get married one year from tomorrow!
Oh yes yes yes. This is the best.
cereals, don’t get me wrong — I couldn’t be happier that the General Mills brand decided to invest in changing their recipes (only slightly, mind you) to make them completely free of gluten and full of taste. The rice and corn chex are in my monthly rotations, for sure, but sometimes I want a heartier cereal that isn’t dry and weirdly crunchy.
Thank goodness
got a whiff of the Chex success!
I’ve missed Special K. I used to absolutely love whatever kind came with those freeze-dried strawberries in it. This gluten-free version features a hearty flake that moistens perfectly in your cold milk, which is lightly sweet with a brown sugar taste. I love it — I ate two bowls yesterday for breakfast and lunch and then went back to the store to grab another box at Safeway (while it is still priced at $2.99!)
I think it’s a cereal even you non-GFers would enjoy!
Kellogg’s nor General Mills pays me in any way for commenting on their products. Even though maybe they should.
What a great film. I knew nothing of Alan Turing before this movie and actually kind of feel like an ignorant fool for not knowing about Enigma.
BUT: If you, like I, knew not much about this historical hero, do yourself a favor and DON’T google him before you go. The movie will be much more powerful if you don’t.
It’s got a 90% on
and we supremely enjoyed it. I sat in the theater for a good five minutes after it ended, getting myself together. Engrossing. Emotional. Important.
I am so sad that I finished this book in a little over two days. The way that Jandy Nelson writes is spellbinding. I cannot get over the language in the text — I feel like I just read a movie. It was so good that the day I started reading it, I read some passages aloud to Ryan so he could hear what I meant. He loved it, too.
is a book about two twins and a family tragedy they share. It’s a few years later, and they’ve grown completely apart, not realizing that both of them only have half of the story of what happened.
You will just love this book. I know it.
6 years of archives
Select Month
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
April 2014
March 2014