earnedsix degrees to go什么意思

Database | Archives | 2014 | 二月You are here:
together with a Public Forum
"Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawai‘i孙中山、孙眉与夏威夷"
Photo Exhibit: June 4–14, 2013 State Capitol Building (basement)
Forum: June 5, –5:30 pm, State Capitol Auditorium
Free admission and open to the public.
Supporting sponsors are:
o Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawai‘io East-West Centero Center for Chinese Studies, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoao Confucius Institute at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Public Forum, June 5, 2013
“Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawai‘i孙中山、孙眉与夏威夷”
Emcee: Yen Chun, Vice President of The Dr. Sun Yat-senHawai‘i Foundation, and Chairperson, Photo Exhibit andForum Committee
3:30 pm Introduction of guests: Yen Chun
3:40 Welcome remarks: Warren Luke, Chairman of the Board,The Dr. Sun Yat-sen Hawai‘i Foundation
3:45 Proclamation: The Honorable Neil Abercrombie, Governor,State of Hawai‘i
3:50 Photo Exhibit ribbon cutting ceremony
4:15 Presentations
Prof. Qiu Jie, Dean of the History Department, Zhongshan University, “The Revolution Led by Sun Yat-sen and His Role in Chinese History”
Prof. Huang Xiangnong, Vice Chancellor, Private Hualian University of Guangzhou, “The Ideology of Sun Yat-sen: Blendingof the East and West”
Dr. Sharat G. Lin, President, San Jose Peace and Justice Center, “Sun Yat-sen and Sun Mei in the Historical Context of Revolutionary Mass Action”
Madam Chen Diqiu, Executive Director, Sun Yat-sen Research Society, Zhongshan City, “The Influence of Overseas Chinese inHawai‘i on the Revolution Led by Sun Yat-sen”
Moderator: Victor Sun, Great-grandson of Sun Mei
Interpreters: Prof. Qikeng Li , Director, and Yunyun Zha, Confucius Institute of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
5:30 VIPs and audience are invited to view the photo exhibits
June 4–14, 2013
Exhibition of Rare Photographs of Dr. Sun Yat-sen
An exhibit of more than a hundred rare photographs of Dr. Sun Yat-sen,known as the Father of Modern China, will make its first ever appearance in the United States at an exhibit to be held in Honolulu during the month of June.
During his lifetime, Dr. Sun spent more than seven years in Hawai‘i; he has been quoted as having said, “This is my Hawai‘i . . . here I was brought up and educated, and it was here that I came to know what modern, civilized governments are like and what they mean.”
Dr. Sun formed his first revolutionary society, Xin Zhong Hui, in Hawai‘i, and people in Hawai‘i gave major financial and moral support for the cause of a modern and democratic China. Dr. Sun’s older brother, Sun Mei, paid for Sun Yat-sen’s education at Iolani School and Oahu College (now Punahou School). He was a member of Dr. Sun’s revolutionary society and gave all of his wealth to the point of bankruptcy to support his brother for the cause.
Dates: June 4–14, 2013
Photo exhibits:
1. “Sun Yat-sen and the United States (孙中山与美国)”—a gift from the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and Guangzhou Memorial Museum of Generalissmo Sun Yat-sen’s Mansion
2. “Sun Yat-sen’s Relatives and Descendants (孙中山的亲属与后裔)”—a gift from Sun Yat-sen Museum in Cuiheng, Guangdong Province,Dr. Sun’s birth place
The school's third campus (1882) was located in close proximity to Honolulu's Chinatown, in an era when St. Louis College emerged as a private school of choice for first-generation immigrants in the vicinity intent on bettering the lives of their children.
A large portion of these families had roots in the Guangzhou region of southern China.
By the early 20th century, this sector of enrollment had grown so substantially that the school established a Chinese Student Alliance as well as Chinese Literary Association (CLIA) in providing social and academic support for these eager young men who eventually distinguished themselves as high achievers.
(Left) Sun Fo carries the class pennant in this 1911.&St. Louis College graduation photograph.
In 1906, Sun Fo, the 15-year-old son of Dr. Sun Yat Sen, entered the College as a boarding student from Maui.
Born in Choy Hung village in Zhongshan, this child from Dr. Sun's first wife accelerated in his studies, from day one, starting at Second Grammar Class, moving on to High Class, and graduating at the highest level—College Preparatory—on June 17, 1911.
He later earned degrees from the University of California at Berkeley and Columbia University, and on reestablishing himself in China, rose to Premier of the Executive Yuan in 1932, eventually helping to frame the 1947 Chinese Constitution. His later career included Senior Advisor to President Chiang Kai-shek, and President of the Examination Yuan. Saint Louis proudly upholds such exemplars of global leadership, as bearers of the Marianist mission.
April 19, 2013 PRESS RELEASE
An exhibit of more than 100 rare photographs of Dr. Sun Yat-sen, known as the Father of&Modern China, will make its first ever appearance in the United States at two exhibits to be&held in Honolulu and in Maui during the month of June.
In addition to the photo exhibits, a forum titled “Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawai‘i (孙中山孙眉与夏威夷)” will be held at both exhibit sites. Speaking at the forums will be Professors&QIU Jie, HUANG Xiangnong, and CHEN Diqiu, who are experts in modern Chinese&history, especially in the study of Sun Yat-sen.
During his lifetime, Dr. Sun spent more than seven years in Hawai‘i; he has been quoted as&having said, “This is my Hawai‘i . . . here I was brought up and educated, and it was here that&I came to know what modern, civilized governments are like and what they mean.”
Dr. Sun formed his first revolutionary society, Xin Zhong Hui, in Hawai‘i, and people in&Hawai‘i gave major financial and moral support for the cause of a modern and democratic&China. Dr. Sun’s older brother, Sun Mei, paid for Sun Yat-sen’s education at Iolani School&and Oahu College (now Punahou School). He was a member of Dr. Sun’s revolutionary&society and gave all of his wealth to the point of bankruptcy to support his brother for&the cause. Sun Mei’s great-grandson, Victor Sun, is donating a statue of Sun Mei to Maui&County C the statue will be unveiled on June 3rd, 2013.
Locations:
MAUI – University of Hawai‘i Maui College, Maui, Hawai‘iCampus map Photo Exhibit: June 3–14, Maui College LibraryForum: 2:00–5:00pm, June 3rd, Lecture Hall, ‘Ike Le‘a Building (New Science Bldg.)
HONOLULU – State Capitol Building (basement)Photo Exhibit: June 4–14Forum: 3:30–5:30pm, June 5, State Capitol AuditoriumPhoto exhibits: Two sets of photos will be exhibited at the State Capitol Building
1. “Sun Yat-sen and the United States (孙中山与美国)” —a gift from the U.S. Consulate&in Guangzhou. The 50 photos were originally curated by the American Institute in Taiwan&(美國在臺協會) and National Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall台(灣國父紀念館), in&Taiwan, with some of the materials coming from collections at the U.S. Archives and the&Hoover Institute. The U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and General Sun Zhongshan’s Former&Residence in Guangzhou (廣州孫中山大元帥府) subsequently rem&the newly remounted display was exhibited for the first time on March 12, 2013, in
G the exhibition in Hawai‘i will be its U.S. premiere.
2. “Sun Yat-sen’s Relatives and Descendants (孙中山的亲属与后裔)” —a gift from Sun&Yat-sen Museum in Cuiheng, Guangdong Province, Dr. Sun’s birth place. The photo exhibit,&comprising some 60 photos, given its U.S. premiere, is expected to generate a significant&amount of public interest in Hawai‘i.
The City of Zhongshan will send a high-level delegation consisting of top leaders of the&Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, Zhongshan Overseas Friendship&Association, Foreign and Overseas Chinese Affairs Bureau, the Museum of Dr. Sun Yat-sen,&Zhongshan Research Institute, Zhongshan Daily and Zhongshan TV station. Sun Yat-sen&and Sun Mei’s descendants will attend all the major events in Maui and Honolulu.
The two forums and photo exhibits have free admission and are open to the public.&The Honolulu forum and photo exhibit are proudly presented by The Dr. Sun Yat-sen&Hawai‘i Foundation.
Supporting sponsors are:
o Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawai‘io East-West Centero Center for Chinese Studies, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoao Confucius Institute at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Contact persons:
Ms. Joanne Tachibana, Dr. Sun Yat-sen Hawai‘i Foundation.(808) 387-7271; e-mail: &
Mr. Wen Chung Lin, Chinese Chamber of Commerce(808) 533-3181;
Since the middle of the 19th century, many migrant workers from Guangdong, China came to America to make a living.
Though they came to work as laborers and farm hands, many who worked hard made good to own properties and businesses.
Among them were the Sun brothers, who changed the course of world and made history.
The elder brother Sun Mei (Ah Mi) came to Hawaii as a 17 year old farm hand but eventually became one of the richest ranchers in Maui.
His brother Sun Yat-sen made use of Hawaii as a revolutionary base, went through 11 failed attempts to overthrow the Imperial Qing Dynasty and founded the first Republic in Asia.
The descendants of Sun Yat-sen and Sun Mei, two of the most well known migrants to early Hawaii, have organized a series of events with the Hawaiian community to commemorate and revisit these historical figures, and how they are and have inextricably linked Hawaii to world history.
A bronze statue of Sun Mei will be unveiled at the Sun Yat-sen Park in Keokea.
In conjunction with the dedication of the statue,
a Forum on “Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawaii” will be held and over 150 photos of Dr. Sun Yat-sen and his family will make its first ever appearance in the United States at the University of Hawaii Maui College.
Victor Sun, eldest great grandson of Sun Mei and his brothers as well as Leland Sun, eldest great grandson of Sun Yat-sen have organized the event with the help of friends in Maui. They have invited other Sun family members and friends, Maui government dignitaries, descendants of the Revolutionary heroes, overseas Chinese communities in Hawaii, representatives from Zhongshan City and Taiwan as well as the media to join in the celebration of this very special occasion.
The series of events will start on June 3rd .
At 10:30 am, an unveiling ceremony for the statue of Sun Mei will be held at the Sun Yat-sen Park, located at the old Sun Mei Ranch site in Keokea.
The 2.5 meter tall bronze statue is a gift by Victor Sun to the County of Maui.
It is most appreciated that the Maui County Council had approved Sun Mei's statue to be placed along side that of his brother's.
We are grateful that the University of Hawaii Maui College will sponsor a forum entitled “Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawaii” and the photo exhibition of Dr. Sun Yat-sen and his family.
Between 2:00-5:00pm of June 3rd, the forum will be held at the New Science Building of the University of Hawaii Maui College.
The program shall include:
1. The Curator of the Sun Yat-sen Museum in Zhongshan and the Director of the Guangzhou Memorial Museum of Generalissimo Sun Yat-sen's Mansion will give brief introduction of their museums as well as presentation of the photo exhibits they donated.
2. Prof. Qiu Jie will deliver a speech on the topic of
“The Revolution led by Sun Yat-sen and his role in Chinese History” which cites Sun Yat-sen's achievements and his life-long devotion to the salvation and betterment of China.
3. Mr. Robert Cupchoy, a local historian whose grandfather was a close friend of Sun Mei will speak about the history of Sun Mei.
4. Prof. Huang Xiangnong's speech topic will be “The Development of Sun Yat-sen's ideology from the East-West Culture” which will focus on the historical context of the first emergence of Sun Yat-sen's ideology, his education background and the importance of Sun Mei in the formation of his brother's political ideology.
5. Dr. Sharat G. Lin's speech entitled “Sun Yat-sen in the Historical Context of Revolutionary Mass Action” presents an academic view of Sun Yat-sen's role in the historical revolution.
6. Ms Chen Diqiu's topic of her speech on “Hawaiian Overseas Chinese and Sun Yat-sen's Revolution” will share some background view on the contribution to the revolution by the overseas Chinese in Hawaii.
&Two sets of photo exhibits will be displayed at the University of Hawaii Maui College Library June 3-14.
Exhibit 1: “Dr. Sun Yat-sen and the United States” photo exhibit is a gift from the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and the Guangzhou Memorial Museum of Generalissimo Sun Yat-sen's Mansion.
Exhibit 2:
“Sun Yat-sen's Relatives and Descendants” photo exhibit is a gift from the Sun Yat-sen Museum in Cuiheng, Zhongshan.
The same Forum will be held in Honolulu on June 5 at the State Capitol Building Auditorium from 3:00-5:00 pm.
The photos Exhibits will be displayed at The State Capitol Building June 4-14.
The Honolulu Forum will be sponsored by The Dr. Sun Yat-sen Hawaii Foundation and supported by the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, the East West Center, Center for Chinese Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa and the Confucius Institute at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
The Forums and the photo Exhibits are Free Admission and Open to Public.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Dr. Liping Liu, Director of China Programs, University of Hawaii Maui CollegePhone: (808) 984-3328 Email:
Brian Moto, Special Assistant to the Chancellor, University of Hawaii Maui CollegePhone: (808) 984-3656 Email:
Dr. Busaba Yip, Wo Hing MuseumPhone:
(808) 667-7126 Email:
Victor SunEmail:
Leland SunEmail:
The Dr. Sun Yat-sen Hawai‘i Foundationproudly presents the U.S. Premiere of an
Exhibition of Rare Photographs of Dr. Sun Yat-sen
together with a Public Forum
“Sun Yat-sen, Sun Mei and Hawai‘i (孙中山、孙眉与夏威夷)”
An exhibit of more than 100 rare photographs of Dr. Sun Yat-sen, known as the Father of Modern China, will make its  first ever appearance in the United States at an exhibit to be held in Honolulu during the month of June.
During his lifetime, Dr. Sun spent more than seven years in Hawai‘i; he has been quoted as having said,“ is is my Hawai‘i . . . here I was brought up and educated, and it was here that I came to know what modern, civilized governments are like and what they mean.”
Dr. Sun formed his first revolutionary society, Xin Zhong Hui, in Hawai‘i, and people in Hawai‘i gave major  financial and moral support for the cause of a modern and democratic China. Dr. Sun’s older brother, Sun Mei, paid for Sun Yat-sen’s education at Iolani School and Oahu College (now Punahou School). He was a member of Dr. Sun’s revolutionary society and gave all of his wealth to the point of bankruptcy to support his brother for the cause.
Location: State Capitol Building (basement)Dates: Photo Exhibit: June 4–14& & & & & & &Forum: 3:30–5:30pm, June 5, State Capitol Auditorium
Photo exhibits:1. “Sun Yat-sen and the United States (孙中山与美国)” —a gi from the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou.2. “Sun Yat-sen’s Relatives and Descendants (孙中山的亲属与后裔)” —a gi from Sun Yat-sen Museum in Cuiheng, Guangdong Province, Dr. Sun’s birth place.
The photo exhibit and forum are free admission and open to the public.
Supporting sponsors are:
Photo Exhibit & Forum on “Dr. Sun Yat-sen and the United States 孙中山与美国”
Two Locations:
MAUI - University of Hawaii College, Maui, HawaiiCampus map
Photo Exhibit:
to 14th for one week at the LibraryForum:
2:00-5:00 pm, June 3rd, Lecture Hall in `Ike Le`a Building (New Science Building)
HONOLULU - State Capitol BuildingPhoto Exhibit:
June 4th to 14th for two weeksForum:
3:30 - 5:30 pm, June 5th, State Capitol Auditorium
Details forth coming
The 100th Anniversary of the Revolution of 1911
Click images above to download large image.
Date: 9/8/2011
Grand Chinese Cultural Performance and Rare Photo Exhibit Commemorate 100th Anniversary of Xin Hai Revolution and Chinese Chamber of Commerce 100th Anniversary in Hawaii
The 100th Anniversary of the Revolution of 1911: Great Changes in the Capital & Beijing debuts September 23-30, at Hawaii State Capitol.
China Central National Performing Art Troupe performs September 24 th at Neal S. Blaisdell Concert Hall.
Honolulu, Hawaii -- Hawaii will host the first-ever viewing in the United States of photographs of historical and cultural significance from China depicting the Xin Hai Revolution and the development of New China at a photo exhibition entitled &The 100th Anniversary of the Revolution of 1911: Great Changes in the Capital - Beijing.& The exhibition is free to the public and will run from September 23-30, (Monday & Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm) at the Hawaii State Capitol Chamber Level.
Click images to enlarge
The founding father of modern China learned about democracy in Hawaii, and used the islands to raise money and support for political efforts that would lead to the overthrow of the Qing imperial government.
Now, Taiwan is using the centennial anniversary of the Republic of China's founding to celebrate Sun Yat-sen's connection to Hawaii. The Taiwanese government is sponsoring a photo exhibit at Honolulu's City Hall this month that underscores the pivotal role the islands played in shaping Sun.
&His early education in Hawaii planted the seeds & for him later to become the father of modern China,& said Paul Wen-liang Chang, the director general of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Honolulu.
Read full story here:
Chinese story here: , ,
&&Start&&Prev&&1&&&&&&&&
Page 1 of 2
Language Selection
Gallery Images
Who's Online
We have&17 guests&online
Upcoming Events
No current events.
Sun Yat-sen family tree
(click image to enlarge)